It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:11

New Topic Add Reply
Last night on the island
Post 03 Oct 2008, 17:39 • #1 
Emeritus
Posting on our last night on Edisto Island S.C.

Ron has done our forum a service by enlarging the scope of glass fishing to include a new spinning gear discussion, so- by way of thanks - here we go.

Autumn salt fishing with glass gear is "da bomb" whether offshore, on the flats, or hangin in the creeks and lagoons.

I fish vintage glass spinning rods and period reels- period. This week a Heddon 2 pc with a Mitchell Garcia 301, 6# and No's 2 and 1/0 circles, weighted, live bait, no bobbers. The fish either wants it or it doesn't, no messing around. Here's the rig

This was an easy trip with no big fish but lots of fun.

We started the week with our high school senior daughter's visit to The College of Charleston. I got a laugh during the presenter's Q&A by asking if parents could get special dispensation due to losing their child's college fund in the last two week's market crash. Not so funny, but what can you do ...

Mom & daughter walking towards "the cistern," which at one time was the municipal water source for "Charlestown." The 1700's building was featured in films including The Patriot and Cold Mountain. The College (a state university, not a private institution) is one of a handfull that predates the Constitution.

OK- let's fish
A little croaker caught on live mummichog (mud minnow)

Our daughter fishes glass, too

Redfish went crazy just before high tides

My "new" vintage Heddon Viscount Deluxe acquired a month ago is a wonderful two-hander casting with serious authority against the wind but soft on the uptake (gotta stick it to the graphite crowd)

Sometimes you mail the bait- and it's returned marked "Gotcha ... "

Cameron, here's your food shot (flounder, Charleston Marina)

Anyway, this is Edisto

Have a great Fall, Y'all

Last night on the island
Post 04 Oct 2008, 01:11 • #2 
Master Guide
Kev, this is a really nice post. Love the pics, the vid, and the story. This new forum may get me to fish a spinning rod on occasion. I have a Shakespeare Wonderglass light spinner and a Betts spin/fly already. There is a really nice Heddon Pal Medium action spinning rod up at the local bait shop for $20.00. I have resisted buying it so far since it isn't a fly rod. I may have to go and pick it up. Heck even if I don't use it, my son "Catfish King" will use it.

J.

Last night on the island
Post 04 Oct 2008, 09:38 • #3 
Administrator
Kevin ... really wonderful report, photos, and video. You had a little "James Lipton" going there in your narrative. That Heddon outfit looks perfect for the "Edisto Eden".

Last night on the island
Post 04 Oct 2008, 11:40 • #4 
Guide
Kevin, I want to get it in writing that you invited Chris & I to come down next spring! What a great island that looks like, so fishy looking. The beard looks good like a writer-pirate. Image

Last night on the island
Post 04 Oct 2008, 13:53 • #5 
Emeritus
Kev, great job. Edisto looks like paradise to me.

Last night on the island
Post 04 Oct 2008, 23:28 • #6 
Piscator
flounder is food of the gods.

New Topic Add Reply