It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 05:11

New Topic Add Reply
Penn reels
Post 03 Oct 2008, 07:22 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Here are the pic's I promised of the Penn 710 and a repaired 704. As I stated earlier I do not collect these reels they have all been fished and in some cases have had to be repaired.

The first reel is a Penn 710(Spinfisher) model that I purchased in 1971. 200yds-12lb capacity. 3.6:1 retrieve ratio, it weighs 16+oz. Aluminum housing and 1piece rotor cup, with stainless steel components, (mainshaft-bail-gears). A standard lefthand drive, teflon drags, tungsten carbide line roller
ImageImage
ImageImage

A repaired 704. I cracked the rotor cup on this reel and could find no original (green) replacement for it. The black rotor cup is from a 1980 Penn 704z, essentially the same reel just a modern version.
250 yds-20lb capacity(450yds-10lb). All aluminum housing and rotor cup, stainless steel components, ball bearings, teflon drag, tungsten carbide line roller guide.
ImageImage

These reels are fished on four fiberglass spin rods that I have, 3 of the rods are among my very first home builds. The other one is a Quick - ReFlex Nypoxy Glass model. The home builds are all one piece a 7.5', a 10.5', and a 11.5' rods all built on yellow Lamiglass blanks. Hope you enjoy looking at these photos, respectfully RV Reclus

Penn reels
Post 03 Oct 2008, 07:40 • #2 
Guide
Nice reels. The fact that you're still using them is a testament to their enduring quality. A solid, simple well constructed piece of American manufacturing history. If they, and all old rod/reels could talk I'm sure we could hear some great stories. For me, that's part of the allure of collecting old gear. Thinking of who may have owned them, the places that they fished, the fish they caught and the memories they made.
Thanks for showing,
Tom.

Penn reels
Post 03 Oct 2008, 08:17 • #3 
Piscator
I have just flat fished through some spinning reels, including a Mitchell 300 and one of Lew's spinning reels. But even my graphite bodied Penn spinning reels show no sign of letting up - you can ride them hard and put them away salty wet.
Not that I recommend it, but you can. I fished with a buddy that lived at the coast and never even thought about rinsing off his reel - just lean it in the corner of the garage when he got home.
Yes, I think I will be looking for a couple of green Penn spinfishers.

Thanks for the photos.

Penn reels
Post 03 Oct 2008, 08:58 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog,
The Penn reels I have are the toughest most dependable spinning reels I've owned. Like I stated if it wasn't for falling on some rocks and cracking the rotor cup on my 704, I've had no problems. Along with their toughness these reels have an incredibly smooth drag system that I've used on Trout,Stripers, Salmon, Steelhead, Rock Fish, Halibut, and Tuna with out any reel failure. A few times we've had to pour seawater on the reel to cool it down, but they have never failed while fighting a fish. Respectfully RV Reclus

Penn reels
Post 03 Oct 2008, 13:39 • #5 
Emeritus
I've got a gold and black 710z that replaced my "Greenie" which was destroyed in a fall on the rocks of the Scussett Beach jetty sometime in 1976 or so. Damn near killed myself that night. The "new" 710z has been fished very hard and completely abused, but still it looks good and works perfectly. I just matched it to a 5-Star Abu Garcia glass 7.5' rod for some heavier Ohio R. work. I'll have to post pics of the set-up, its a dandy. BTW, the Penn 710 is the reel that landed the world record striped bass in the surf!

I've also got my 11.5' one piece white Lamiglass surf rod with a Penn 750SS, that was my "Canal" rod for The Portuguese Hole and other spots where we'd fish big plugs at night. If I can get it out of my office (it's on the wall) I'll see if I can rig the reel - there's no real seat, this is a true surf rod and I used hose clamps and friction tape to set the reel based on how it was going to be fished - and photograph the set up. It was hot stuff on the Cape three decades ago!

I LOVE Penn reels and stubbornly fish nothing but Penn in salt water. From my great grandfathers Senators to my Squidders and Jigmasters, there's nothing like a Penn.

Joe C.

Penn reels
Post 04 Oct 2008, 02:20 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Cornmuse,
You just named some of my favorite saltwater spinning and conventional reels. I don't know much about the other manufacturers, because back in the early 70's all my fishing buddies steered me to Penns and Newells. I've not been disappointed. Respectfully RV Reclus

Penn reels
Post 04 Oct 2008, 11:00 • #7 
Emeritus
I had a beautiful Newell conventional on an 8' jetty stick that I'd built from a honey lamiglass blank - it was a killer rig until I turned my back to put some gear in the car while on the Point Defiance pier in Washington one fateful day in 1980. Someone took three of my rods (in broad daylight with hundreds of people about and me just 15' away). I later found a fellow fishing with one of them with a mismatched reel from one of my other rods. The rod had my name inked on it - after all, I built the damn thing. Called the cops, they took the rod for "evidence' Four months later I got the rod back, broken, with the mismatched reel. They said they didn't locate the other two and had no explanation for the 2' missing from the end of the one-piece rod. They also said they couldn't prove the guy fishing my rod had stolen it and he gave them the name of someone they couldn't locate as the ultimate culprit. Broke my heart ...

Joe C.

Penn reels
Post 06 Oct 2008, 01:07 • #8 
Emeritus
rv, I'm glad to see your 710- nice! Built like a tank, but sooo streamlined ...

I've fished vintage garcia 301's (I'm a Lefty) pretty much exclusively, I see some similarities and differences ...

Penn reels
Post 07 Oct 2008, 13:33 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
The Penn Spinfishers were some of the best spinning reels ever made. My Penn 704 has been in continuous use since 1970 and still going strong. Unfortunately the current owners of Penn have seen fit to discontinue this series, much to the dissappointment of surfcasters up and down the east coast. One of the guys on one of my surfcasting boards even went so far as to lobby Penn for the reintroduction of a revamped 704/706 with several hundred people pledging $100 deposit in advance. They went along with the idea for quite awhile then suddenly announced that it was not possible because they had lost all the tooling.

Penn reels
Post 16 Oct 2008, 03:39 • #10 
Piscator
next installment. I was happy to pick up this 712 at about half of its value (for this condition) - will be looking for a nice inshore glass rod to match it up.

Image Image Image

Penn reels
Post 16 Oct 2008, 09:47 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog,
Very nice reel, I like them for schoolie stripers in the SF Bay Delta. When you get a chance can you let me know if the clicker is attached to the rotor cup or the back of the spool? Respectfully RV Reclus

Penn reels
Post 16 Oct 2008, 09:59 • #12 
Piscator
it's on the bottom of the spool, bro.

Penn reels
Post 16 Oct 2008, 12:18 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog,
The reason I asked is I've got a friend that claims his clicker is attached to the spool on his 710. On the 710 I've got it's on the rotor cup, my 704, 706, 712 and 714 have the clicker attached to the spool. I want to see if there are any variations with other Spinfishers. Respectfully RV Reclus

Penn reels
Post 24 Oct 2008, 02:32 • #14 
Piscator
another to show - this is a pretty, 316 Spinfisher. It's a bit larger than the current 4200SS ultralight, but it's still a beautiful little reel, and has a high-speed, 5:1 retrieve.
(vs. 4:1 on the larger green spinfishers)
Image Image Image

Penn reels
Post 29 Oct 2008, 03:35 • #15 
Guide
Guys, those are all such nice reels, solid and they'll last a lifetime fishing right through any conditions. Thanks for the photos, I enjoyed it but now I'm looking for a Spinfisher. Image

Penn reels
Post 29 Oct 2008, 14:46 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog,

I think that would be a 716. No such thing as a 316.

Penn reels
Post 11 Nov 2008, 17:23 • #17 
Piscator
yeah, that's what I meant.

as a metallurgist and PE, 316 types off the fingers too easy.

New Topic Add Reply