It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:08

New Topic Add Reply
Exalta Question
Post 27 May 2019, 12:35 • #1 
Sport
Bulldog's Exalta photo sparked a question : don't know if it's just my bad luck, or if Hardy just didn't see reason to include the information on their reel labels, but is there a way to readily identify an Exalta No.1 from a No.2 ? I would think spool size would be obvious provided you have a photo of each to compare, but when you only have a stand alone photo, is there an obvious way to decide which it is ?

Same for Ambidexes and Fellton Crosswinds

and Many Thanks

Re: Exalta Question
Post 28 May 2019, 06:00 • #2 
Piscator
a dilemma looking at photos of any spinning reel - if you look at photos of old surf-size and offshore Quick reels, you really can't tell them from a freshwater welterweight, unless you know the model numbers. With a Quick Finessa, you have to know it's a big reel, because even the name makes it sound delicate.

I don't know the answer except maybe asking spool diameter.
My Exalta is definately a No. 2 - 6-10-lb test range.
Honestly, I like my Altex better - no question it's smoother - but the ball-bearing Exalta may be better built, and has the cool option of the reversible foot

Post 29 May 2019, 23:01 • #3 
Sport
I was afraid that would be the answer, but Many Thanks for taking time to reply … nunc

Post 01 Jun 2019, 06:36 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
That reversible foot is cool!

Post 02 Jun 2019, 05:48 • #5 
Piscator
thanks - it makes a really neat package with the Phillipson patent sliding seat
It also moves part of the weight back and makes for great balance.
Would also work great on a fly rod, like Sandman posted, in place of his Mitchell.

Post 02 Jun 2019, 11:51 • #6 
Master Guide
The Mitchell 308 is a bit heavier and not as smooth than modern spin reels, even with the ball bearing pinion gear. One could argue they are as durable as any vintage...no plastic on any moving parts...as BD states, the 408 is clearly a smoother (and faster) reel with the helical cut main drive and pinion gears (still maybe not as smooth as the Penn)...to me, these Mitchells may look the best of all...I'm only partial to these particular 308s, because they are first year production (1959) and I grew up using them with my father...probably have to file the foot to fit most fly rods, though that may be the case with most vintage spin reels...and they certainly do the job, in fact, just last week...see below...19"...a lunker on an FF605 and 308...

Post 02 Jun 2019, 14:22 • #7 
Piscator
actually, I think the gears on later 308 are nylon and prone to brinnelling (mashing) under load - I know my 300 did, in about 4 years of hard inshore use.

Post 03 Jun 2019, 21:39 • #8 
Master Guide
The only plastic part interior to the 308 is the oscillation slide block, which I don't consider a moving part, since it is fixed to the axle and primarily only acts a guide after transferring the pivot gear movement (allows for the patented Planamatic motion) to the axle...the noise and lack of any operational smoothness mostly comes from the main aluminum drive gear meshing with the steel pinion gear...this design did not change through the early eighties...after that, production moved from France to Asia, and design begin to change too..

For the same time period, and earlier, the 300 did not have any internal plastic parts either...one exception is that Mitchell experimented, and for a short period were in production, with a plastic transfer gear in the mid-fifties...it's been said these gears were known to warp under load...and production ceased...they are actually pretty rare...you could of had one these, or a late model of different design...for similar reasons, the 300 was not a particularly smooth reel...especially since not only was the pinion gear a form of brass/steel meshing with the aluminum main drive gear, it was also not of ball bearing design...

Both reels were quite durable in freshwater, even with little maintenance...

Sandman

Post 04 Jun 2019, 07:26 • #9 
Piscator
My 300 was bought in 1971. My dad wanted to arm us for inshore, took me to Best Products, and told me to pick it out. I came home with a 7' Berkley Tri-Sport rod and the 300, 14-lb Berkley mono. From an aluminum semi-vee, we fished many of the same sloughs along Aransas Causeway where I kayak now, and of course the jetties for Spanish mackerel (smacks).

The Mitchell landed several 24-26" redfish, brought in a sow trout one day that had to be 30", but she spit the hook right at the boat. Certainly where the reel took the most abuse was large numbers of smacks at the jetties - somewhere along the way the gears became as loud as a train.
There were no limits on seatrout then, and redfish was 14" min, but still don't think there was a bag limit. Those little reds are a perfect size to blacken, but what the state has done with newer regs is great.
Also pretty early with the reel, I gave it the power handle from a 400 (looking for photos, but can't remember where)

Also used the reel for reservoir bass fishing - when I went to college, my dad joined a local bass club - it was never really my thing, mostly because the Texas sun makes it unbearable by 9 am.
Though I've always been one for pushing tackle - home from college at 19, I landed an 8-lb reservoir bass on a Daiwa Minicast.
Also had my first Daiwa Millionaire 6H about this time (and would kill it in the surf 10 years later).

Still have my Mitchell 300 stashed - wish I had the Heddon I picked out a few years before that, but don't know what happened to it.
The 410 is a big step up from the 300, and people I've recommended 408's for UL have thanked me later.
But the response to a Penn Spinfisher remains, what was I thinking when I was using a Mitchell.

Interesting about Hardy's flip bail patent, which because of wartime extension didn't officially expire until 1954 - though by 1952 pretty much everybody had their versions on the market. And back on topic - when Hardy introduced the Exalta, they copied Mitchell's bail.
I still like the function of Penn' s bail best, and their gears are forever smooth and durable.

Another reel I'm going to bring up because it's a close second to Hardy Altex all-time-smoothest spinning reel kudo, and especially great for its prewar origin - Luxor - don't confuse the Airex license reels with the French-made Luxors, and even the 1970s Crack reels have a salt fan-club today.
And my all-time favorite glass light-spinning rod, H-I Star

Post 04 Jun 2019, 09:41 • #10 
Master Guide
Still have and use my 300. Purchased in early 60’s as gift from my Dad.

Post 04 Jun 2019, 10:17 • #11 
Piscator
my BIL's late father fished half-bail 300s inshore, and he has a couple of those treasures.

Post 04 Jun 2019, 10:53 • #12 
Master Guide
cool combo BD...that's a head turner anywhere...

Have your BIL check his early Mitchell's for a round A/R knob vs the boomerang style...the round A/R knob was first two versions only and indicate highly collectible...third version (last of half-bails) with boomerang style A/R lever drops the collectibility considerably...they made 250K third versions...significantly fewer first and second versions....

Sandman

Post 04 Jun 2019, 12:40 • #13 
Piscator
his does not have this knob - it has the normal flat black plastic grasp, and the 90-degree anti-reverse lever (sounds like boomerang)

of course the treasure is in the family connection

Post 04 Jun 2019, 22:56 • #14 
Master Guide
Yes, the boomerang style is the 90 degree lever and only very late third versions (half-bails) came with the new flat black plastic crank handle grasp...below is an early second version...has the round A/R knob only on first and second versions and a Rosewood crank handle grasp only on first and early second version reels...the aluminum grasp in the half-bail CAP in your photo came on the remainder of second all third versions Mitchells... The Cap reels were similar...Rosewood giving way to aluminum grasps...Your BILs half-bail could of come with the aluminum knob...people often changed these out for new and improved PLASTIC...

Sandman

Post 05 Jun 2019, 05:28 • #15 
Piscator
I've definitely never seen that grasp, nor the round anti-reverse selector in person before.
My 1937 Luxor, which became my older daughter's favorite reel to fish, has a nice wood grasp
4-1/2' Airex glass rod

Post 06 Jun 2019, 00:10 • #16 
Master Guide
That’s a cool grasp...very well could be Rosewood like the Mitchell...interesting how most of the best spinning reels came out of France, Switzerland and Italy from that era...a product of the Swiss and French highly skilled fine gearing craftsman from the best watch making schools and companies in the world applied their knowledge to spinning reels...Luxor, Pecos, CAP, Mitchell and more..

Sandman

Post 06 Jun 2019, 05:29 • #17 
Piscator
though the Hardy Altex was awarded its patent in 1932 - the space shuttle of fishing reels, and remained the benchmark of smooth performance until Van Staal.

I had a spinning reel collection going for awhile - the half-bails that had to compete against Hardy's patent.
I still have the CAP and Luxor, and sold all the others mostly because of their degree of clunky.
Did keep the clunky 1937 Hardex because of its cool royal warrant marking.
The other English reel I like from that period is the simple Young-made SuperB.
Never had a Cargem and Alcedo collection, but I'm pretty impressed with their smooth function.
I'm blazee about Zangi and Quick. There are enough collectors who will jump on those and Thommen, making them not a huge junk-pile risk.
Even the worst of all-time, the Helical, also will get snagged up, but will certainly never get fished again....

btw, there is still one half-bail reel in production, the Spanish-made offshore Sagarra, which was also the first skirted spool reel, c. late '40s

Post 10 Jun 2019, 22:39 • #18 
Master Guide
The Sagarra is cool..still making a half-bail...found some photos of a friends Hardy Altex 2 MK.V...shows the Royal reference...

Post 11 Jun 2019, 05:07 • #19 
Piscator
Hardy's all-time worst reel was the Hardex, 1937, throwing a bone to the masses.
But the coolest Royal Warrant ever:
Image Image
By appointment to HRH the Late King George V
Edward had abdicated, Bertie was king, and the politics were against him.
Bertie, King George VI was expected by all to fail, and Edward restored to the throne, which would probably have also decided WWII differently.

New Topic Add Reply