It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:39

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Oct 2008, 00:03 • #1 
Piscator
IMO, this is the best fishing reel ever made.
Image Image
there is none smoother, none crisper, none quieter.
And when you consider it was designed in 1931, when the competition was the exposed-gear Illingworth and the Helical, it was the Space Shuttle of fishing reels.
1934 Alex Martin catalog
It even beat the Allcock-Stanley into production by 2 years.
My reel is a MkV, c. 50s, which introduced the anti-reverse. - speaking of which, the A/R click on this reel sounds like a pocket watch.

And speaking of the Helical, this was probably the reel that got me out of collecting spinning reels. I was delighted to box up everything I had and ship it to the Netherlands.
You could spend a career collecting Helicals, because they never stopped changing production. Out of 3 reels, I had a nice box, but there was not a common part between them - not even the handles, and I could not make one work - they were also fragile. (I've got some photos somewhere, I'll look for them).

Even Hardy's sister spinning offering, the Hardex, is a dog - fun to tinker, but you wouldn't want to fish it.
This reel was introduced in 1936 - 5 years after the Altex, and was still produced into the 50s.
Image Image
the face plate is the bull gear, and the entire thing rotates.
Nice markings on this early reel, though By Appointment to HRH the late King George V

and again, my vote for second-best spinning reel goes to the Luxor, which is 1935 design (this is a 1937 reel)

Post 01 Oct 2008, 07:46 • #2 
Piscator
here is one of the little Helical reels - this one had the bull gear stripped from the handle shaft
Image Image Image

Post 01 Oct 2008, 08:23 • #3 
Guide

Ron, now you've got me saving my pennies for one of those Hardy Altex reels. You'll run me into the poor house (I might already be there!), but I'll go down a happy man, or as they say, you've made a happy man very old! Very nice photos, thanks for those.

By the way Ron just so I'll be sure to drive myself completely over the edge, what rod would you match to this Hardy?

Mike

Last edited by graewolf on 01 Oct 2008, 08:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Oct 2008, 08:38 • #4 
Piscator
Phillipson?

Post 01 Oct 2008, 08:55 • #5 
Guide
Yes! I've got the Phillipson, now all I have to do is find one of these Hardy Altex reels! Image

Post 01 Oct 2008, 09:21 • #6 
Piscator
there are five modifications, or Marks. Only Mk V has the anti-reverse, which you probably want, plus, the price go up as the Mk goes down.

Three sizes- No. 1 ultralight, No. 2 middleweight, and No. 3 heavyweight.
You probably want a No. 2 Mk V with your Phillipson rod.

Also, take your time and get a nice reel on a lowball. I paid $120 for mine, and the seller was so mad about my win that he didn't ship me the spare spool that came with it. (It's OK, I bought another for $15).
A friend got one just as nice for $95. If you buy one of these outright, it would be about $250, but do your homework and you will be rewarded, grasshopper.

Post 02 Oct 2008, 01:00 • #7 
Guide
I just remembered the Phillipson I have is a FLY rod (MF80)! I think that would be a very peculiar rig if I put this Hardy spinning reel on that one! But who knows, I might start a new look, cutting edge? So I'll need a spinning rod & this reel. Here we go again, the descent into madness. Image But I've started my search ...

Post 02 Oct 2008, 01:15 • #8 
Piscator
the reel will probably cost more than the rod, but take your time - a good 6- to 7' middle-weight glass spinning rod (lake or bass size) would go very nicely on this reel.
If you take off the gloves and manage to get an Altex No. 1., a 5' to 6' light or ultralight would be a nice rig.
They're not cheap - typically sell for about $250-300, but you can always keep your eyes peeled for an Orvis cane spinning rod.

As I mentioned on another thread, I fish my Altex on this Arjon cane rod, which is a very good bass rod, and I wouldn't be afraid to go after a redfish with it.

But I have also fished the reel on this H-I Star glass rod, which cost me all of $20 shipped, and it's a GREAT rod. Great soft tip. I've used it with the Altex for casting free (unweighted) live shrimp, and the rod works and fishes great.
Image Image

Post 02 Oct 2008, 06:41 • #9 
Guide
I wrote down those rod suggestions and I'm looking now. I also could put the Hardy on my Airex rod, which I love.

Post 02 Oct 2008, 07:13 • #10 
Piscator
exactly!

New Topic Add Reply