It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 13:18

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 May 2019, 12:56 • #1 
Master Guide
A two hour drive from my house...parked at 5:30 AM...38 degrees at the trailhead...a four mile pack-in through dense old growth conifer forest in the Pacific Northwest northern Cascade mountains, 1000' in elevation gain, the last mile on snow...the snow on two 100 yd rock slide traverses was ice...wishing for a pair of crampons and praying for footing...it's a long steep tumble down if you get going...it's worth it, because the scenery is breathtaking and the fishing ain't bad either...get to the lake and pump up the raft...dead calm all morning...35 degrees warming to 60 in the afternoon with a slight breeze...no hatching in the morning and not much luck nymphing, so switched to spinning on the FF605, because light mono is a better feel for trolling a Fifties wooden F3 Flatfish I got from my dad...painted it sparkly chrome with a bright red tip (from the wife's fingernail paint drawer)...they strike it hard...lost count...probably 30 Brookies and Rainbows from 12-14" with a few 15"s...The 605 may not be the best casting fly rod ever made, but catching fish on it is up there with the best of them...It's God's country...Enjoy

Sandman

Post 05 May 2019, 14:54 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Great outing! Very pretty trout there.

Post 05 May 2019, 21:07 • #3 
Piscator
that's a pretty place - makes the fish even better

Post 05 May 2019, 22:30 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I like the Mitchell reel.

Post 06 May 2019, 20:27 • #5 
Guide
Sweet Switch Up, what's the wrap on the cork for/do?

Post 06 May 2019, 22:16 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
excellent !
I really like my Fenwick Voyageur spin/fly, it's my primary spin rod these days.. also with the obligatory Mitchell 308.. ha

Post 06 May 2019, 22:36 • #7 
Master Guide
That's a 1960, first version Mitchell 308 pimped with Mitchell 408 (high speed) pinion and main drive (helical) gears...

The grip is wrapped with medical gauze and then with medical tape. The gauze just keeps the tape residue from sticking to the cork...I'll do this on rods that go on pack-in adventures, because the rods tend to get harder use...doesn't effect gripping the rod and keeps the cork nice...not sure how needed it is...I let it dry out well after each trip...take it off at the end of the year...it has worked well...

Sandman

Post 07 May 2019, 08:10 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome trip. Fishing can be a solitary sport, but we never do it alone. What a great enhancement to have the flatfish from your dad. Having done a lot of remote pond solo fishing years ago, I can't resist asking.

Sometimes I had a canoe, sometimes not, but like you, I took fly and spin tackle, usually a Fenwick, a Medalist, and an Alcedo Micron. I would prospect with spinning gear, since it is usually quicker to find fish that way. But after a few fish, it would drive me nuts until I figured out a way to catch them on flies (other than by taking a nap until the evening hatch). Sometimes it was mimicking the spinning lure best I could with a comparable fly and presentation (slow stripping a streamer, lets say) and sometimes it was completely different. It was always a chance to experiment. Often I would think of fishing partners who weren't there and ask myself, "what would he do," and try that.

My Dad was an outdoorsman--canoeing, camping, hiking--but not an angler, so I didn't have him to "consult. " Maybe that made experimenting with fly tackle easier than sticking to tried and true. So I'd have had a Mickey Finn on a fly rod after two or three fish. If it didn't produce, I'd swap back to the spinning presentation to convince myself the fish were still there. That would last a fish or two and I'd be tying on another fly, a wolly worm, maybe. Once on a pond in the Selway Bitterroot, I went through a dozen flies until a royal coachman wet, stripped of all but a little of the peacock herl, started producing even better than a tiny Mepps spinner.

Was it Dad's specially tweaked up flatfish that let you stay with that all day? Between that, the fish, the rod, and the classic Mitchell 308, I can see why.

Post 07 May 2019, 18:15 • #9 
Master Guide
Whirlpool, good question...I contemplated and pondered the same questions throughout the day...especially when I would go 15-20 min without a strike...whenever I got close to switching to a woolybugger (I've had good luck on these in this lake), I would get a nice strike and/or hook up that waned my desire to switch...I tend to be a, if something is working, why mess with a good thing, guy...and, I equally enjoy a strike trolling with this set up as I do stripping a wet fly...I love the action of getting a strike with the rod and line in my hands (immediate feel and ability to set a stripped fly), and, I love to watch the rod slam down (I said they strike it hard at a very slow troll with a Flatfish) with no hands on it while reaching down, grabbing it and hoisting up for the set...so, I'm good either of these techniques as long as I'm getting action...no need to switch...I don't need the incentive of using my dad's klure to keep using it...just fishing makes me think of my father...the technique that would make me switch, is dry fly casting...love the dry fly take...just didn't see much surface action that day, and could stay until dusk...needed to hike out before dark...

Sandman

Post 17 May 2019, 20:50 • #10 
Guide
Beautiful. Those photos of the trout with the background are really nice. The old school tackle is special too.

Post 19 May 2019, 12:49 • #11 
Master Guide
A cool shot of the vintage tackle...it was a mystical morning and a marvelous day at another high cascades lake in the Pacific Northwest mountains yesterday...the photos are not color enhanced...the sun was rising behind the mountain..

Post 19 May 2019, 18:50 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Nice! That's a beautiful sunrise indeed.

New Topic Add Reply