It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:09

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Jan 2019, 14:50 • #1 
Master Guide
Several years ago, when everything was graphite, I acquired a number of fiberglass spinning and casting blanks for a pittance from a friend who was cleaning out his garage. I really didn't want them. Hell, back then nobody wanted a fiberglass rod! They sat in my shop for years. Then I found this website and was inspired to take another look at what was there. There are several Fenwick blanks, both spinning and casting, a Browning Silaflex "Heavy" casting rod, a Bass Stick by Lake King Rod Co., a five foot casting rod with a label that reads, "Featherweight products Rawhide,"(Any information about this rod is appreciated as I've never heard of this brand), and a factory finished Fenwick Feralite Lunker Stik that needed a guide replaced, a handle and cleaning.

I decided to build a couple and one of the first is the Fenwick SP782, pictured below. It's a 6 1/2 ft. rod with a medium action and delight to fish.

I elected to use holographic guides with a corresponding color theme in the handle, thread wraps and even the reel, which is a Quantum Energy PTi 20 Spinning Reel in holographic finish. The handle is burl cork with green stabilized burl and accent trim rings of purple heart and green spacer material. The reel seat is an American Tackle graphite seat with holographic hoods. I "swelled" the rod just in front of the fore grip and purple and green NCP thread border a hand painted rendition of a vintage creek chub minnow lure that was painted by my artist bride.

I took this rod to Canada last year and caught lots of smallmouth, walleye and an incidental pike or two. It is a joy to use. Fiberglass rules!! Hope you enjoy the photos.

Last edited by Baldknobber1 on 25 Jan 2019, 14:44, edited 2 times in total.

Post 21 Jan 2019, 17:42 • #2 
Sport
Well that is a unique rod build for sure; the Quantum reel is a good match. I hope to acquire a factory built FS61 (one of the later made in USA models, with lined guides) someday.

Post 21 Jan 2019, 18:38 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Pretty rod -- enjoy it!

Post 30 Jan 2019, 17:05 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
That turned out crazy cool! Good work

Post 01 Feb 2019, 06:37 • #5 
Piscator
Featherweight is a tackle hardware maker from Glendale, CA
Ricks rods has a pretty good supply of old stock components and some blanks - http://www.ricksrods.com/components.asp
Rawhide was their brand of blanks - out of business in the late 70s

Post 03 Feb 2019, 19:36 • #6 
Master Guide
Thanks for the positive feedback on the rod and thanks for the info from bulldog on the Featherweight Rawhide as wells as Rick's Rods. Great website.

Post 03 Feb 2019, 21:50 • #7 
Piscator
you're welcome

New Topic Add Reply