It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:09

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Mar 2018, 22:55 • #1 
Sport
Hey guys,
Looking into an UL spinning reel to debail, burn the arm needs to be small enough so that I can grab the line with one hand as opposed to two. The arms on most rods are too long, which makes it hard to grab the line from the reel without using two hands. From the research I’ve done, it seems like the vintage Daiwa 500c is the most capable due to it’s short arm. Does anyone know of any other UL reels that have this short arm feature? I know that the Shimano has a version with a compact body, but it’s not available in the 500 configuration which is a bummer.

Anyone know of any UL reels with a small arm/compact body in size 500?

Post 16 Mar 2018, 05:48 • #2 
Piscator
how about Alcedo Micron? most of these have shot bail springs, anyway

Post 16 Mar 2018, 09:47 • #3 
Guide
Shimano ax 500 or fx 500

Post 17 Mar 2018, 15:43 • #4 
I agree for Micron. DAM Quick 1001 good for that, too. Same old spring system, also.
Shakespeare 2499 is the smallest and wonderful, but already has modern bail system and I don't see a point in bailess

Post 19 Mar 2018, 23:17 • #5 
Sport
Less line twist and faster casting is the reason why I prefer bailess. I've done it on my shoddy zebco dock demon reel, but the clearance is a little too far so I can't operate it with one hand.

Post 20 Mar 2018, 21:14 • #6 
Sport
Just a thought, but, bail springs on Alcedo's can be replaced.

Tim

Post 21 Mar 2018, 06:34 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
The bail spring was the weak spot on Alcedo Microns, that's for sure. I had one for years, purchased from Cabela's just about the time they were starting out of a garage. I guess it was no big deal since at this time I expected to maintain my tackle and kept spare parts on hand. The bail springs were available from the US Distributor in NYC (Such and such Arms Co, whose name won't come to me at the moment). I kept one on hand, and when I had to install it, I ordered one or two more, which arrived promptly relative to mailing time and a pause for the check to clear.

Well eventually they were gone and I never did find a source for the factory part. I never did find a good fit using a bail spring for a different reel, so I would fabricate the spring from generic coil springs from a hardware store, Never got that perfect, either, although I'm sure someone who fussed with it could get a better result than I ever did. "Semimanual" bail was usually the most satisfactory outcome I got--so Bulldog's point makes perfect sense to me.

On the other hand, is there a good current source for a good fit and function Alcedo bail spring? I could about install one blindfolded and would have preferred that fix at the time.

Post 21 Mar 2018, 17:22 • #8 
Guide
Continental Arms Corp. NYC was the distributor and parts supplier for Alcedo.

Post 22 Mar 2018, 20:46 • #9 
Sport
The spring for Quick 110N's will work, it's not a perfect fit, but it can be made to work. There's also a fellow on ebay, lmsteelhead, that makes bail springs for the Alcedo and others, look up Alcedo bail spring. These little gems deserve to be kept running.

Tim

Post 23 Mar 2018, 05:38 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Wow, as usual, these guys are good. I don't spinfish much, so eventually I sold my Alcedo for a tidy sum, original box, papers and Cabela's price tag. I was thinking I saved a copy of the papers and was going to look for it to come up with the name. 6footrod saved me some time shuffling boxes. And then Tim gives an easy-to-find source. If I still had the reel, I'd have hit the buy-now button already.

Post 23 Mar 2018, 06:04 • #11 
Piscator
it's 180 from the OP's question, though

Post 24 Apr 2018, 15:40 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Don't forget the Daiwa 500c. Its a micro reel perfect for this application.

New Topic Add Reply