It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:04

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Jan 2016, 11:09 • #1 
Sport
Hi everyone. A friend of my father in law handed this rod to me, asking me to refurb/rebuild it. I'm always up for a challenge but I don't want to do anything to it until I know what it is.

It appears to be solid fiberglass painted to look like cane. It's 6'6" assembled and I'd call it a light action. The rear grip seems very short. I'd think it was cut off but the two sections are about the same length.

The aluminum reel seat is very large in my opinion.

Of course, the label is almost gone, I can make out green, yellow and red and the word Fish. Photos below. Does anyone have any ideas what it is?

Post 16 Jan 2016, 11:21 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Stick a magnet on it. I had a rod that looked like that that was steel. No name on mine either so I can't be of any help with that.

Post 16 Jan 2016, 11:29 • #3 
Sport
That never crossed my mind!

She's not magnetic. I used the fridge magnet that was holding the losing Powerball ticket. :)

Post 21 Jan 2016, 21:22 • #4 
Sport
Another couple of clues found and still no progress. I found the model number 263 very faint near the label. The other thing is it appears as if the red thread was dyed black or brown while wrapping to give it that striped appearance. The wraps are done with a single run of thread.

It's clear glass under the paint. There was quite a bit of rubbing from the first guide under the loose wraps, so the glass is showing.

I've asked my father in law to get in touch with the owner of this to see if they know anything. The usual story is these were his grandfathers and that's all we know. I'm hoping for more. I'm very curious now.

Post 21 Jan 2016, 22:54 • #5 
Guide
I've got a rod with that paint scheme and the striped thread but no identification.

BTW that striped thread comes on the spool that way. The stripes get wider when wrapping as the rod diameter gets smaller. IME usually used to give a fancy wrap effect on a lower line rod. The stamped frame guide was also a bit less costly than a wire frame, as was the compressed cork handle.

Judging by the handle configuration, seat size, and guides, presuming they are all the same type, my feeling is possibly that rod was made to use with a closed-face spinning reel like a Shakespeare Wonderspin 1755 or it's South Bend cousins. The rod was gripped ahead of the reel.

Last edited by jimbofish on 22 Jan 2016, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post 22 Jan 2016, 06:11 • #6 
Guide
Early Kingfisher glass, distributed, if I remember right by E.K. Tryon Company out of Philadelphia ..

Post 22 Jan 2016, 11:16 • #7 
Guide
I think 6foot is right on about Kingfisher. The remains of your logo are similar to Kingfisher logos here...
http://antiquerodandreels.com/mfg_k/kingfisher.html
http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 69&t=77852
The typeface is slightly different but your rod is later than those.

Post 22 Jan 2016, 13:03 • #8 
Sport
That's got to be it! The label colors and size are right!

You guys are awesome!

Jimbo, I should have realized that about the thread. I have a couple spools of similar thread but the wrong colors. Size E though.

Now I have more research to do but I think the guy who owns it will be really happy knowing more too.

Post 05 Mar 2019, 15:04 • #9 

Post 05 Mar 2019, 15:36 • #10 
I've got one of these...it's a Kingfisher 6'2" spinning rod..same logo, same two tone wrapping. I'm thinking of converting it to a fly rod. How's your restoration coming?

New Topic Add Reply