It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:29

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Jul 2011, 21:18 • #1 
Master Guide
A wee bit off topic, but I picked up a nice wee book today for the princely sum of $2.

"The Technique of Bait Casting" by Ernest Liotta Jr.

Fairly good condition for the age (copyright 1949) and full of a lot of useful information on reels, rods (bamboo and steel ... too early for glass!) and other tackle as well as casting technique.

Sounds as though the author, Ernest ("Sib") Liotta Jr was of some influence in bait casting circles both pre and post WW11. The youngest entrant ever to win the National All-Round Bait and Fly Casting championship at the age of 20 and won it in 1937-8, and 40-45-46-47. He did not compete 1941-44 as he was serving in the military.
He holds (or held at the time of writing?) the world's distance record for 5/8- ounce bait casting, having averaged 407 1/3 feet for three consecutive casts.

Neat wee book, but is the author well known over there?

Post 12 Jul 2011, 02:16 • #2 
Piscator
I'll add a decoration

Post 12 Jul 2011, 20:43 • #3 
Master Guide
That is just the kind of gear he is talking about Ron, although most of his rods are tournament handles with the slight offset angle to them and I cannot see mention of any one particular brand ... very gentlemanly ... no advertising or brand pushing here!

Post 13 Jul 2011, 03:19 • #4 
Piscator
this rig, dates to about 1910, has its roots in Doc Henshall's 1882 article on introducing his 8'3" bass rod formula.

I do have some glass and steel, also - need to get them photographed ...

Post 13 Jul 2011, 04:35 • #5 
Guide
Cool book Mataura,

I have a question for those of you who might know. I wanted to ask about this one for awhile, but didn't want to start a new topic for a metal rod that might not even be a fly rod. I guess this thread is as good of a place to ask as any.

My questions are that sometimes I see rods similar to the one I have pictured sold as fly rods. (Are they fly rods, or is this really a baitcaster, or back when these were produced were these type of rods considered to be dual purpose? And whats the story with the goofy three ringed tip?) I tried casting it before as a fly rod, and it was uncomfortable having the reel in front of the handle. The rod is metal and labeled "Vim", the lock ring for the reel says "Union Hardware". I was wondering the approximate year, and also if the Rev-O-Noc reel I currently have it matched up with might be time period correct.

Image Image

I currently have this combo spooled up with some vintage line, and am hoping to catch a few fish on it this summer.

Last edited by Charged on 13 Jul 2011, 04:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post 13 Jul 2011, 06:47 • #6 
Piscator
by the time of metal rods, they had pretty much worked out the convention that the handle was in front on a fly rod, and the handle was in the rear on a baitcaster.
Reels were more general purpose than rods then, and top and bottom was up for debate, but even on ORCA recently, you saw the Milam Kentucky multiplier than was custom-finished to be a below-the-rod salmon fly reel.
Image Image

If you want to see the status of convention in 1886, Doc Henshall's book is requisite reading:
$3.64 shipped - cheap.

I have the same rod, I believe marked for Richardson, Chicago. While I'm certain it's a baitcaster, I found it fly-cast nicely with a silk fly line.
I would love to trade you a 100-yd Portage Atlas for the Rev-O-Noc if I could interest you (same reel)- I have a few other HSB&Co items
Below is a 4Bros Rubber City marked as a Rev-O-Noc. http://www.thckk.org/history/hsb.pdf
Image Image
(also have some Rev-O-Noc camp cups)

Post 13 Jul 2011, 08:48 • #7 
Master Guide
Charged,
As Ron states I would call your rod a bait caster ... although bait casting never really took off here and us Kiwis would group them under spin rods. We simplify things a lot here, if it ain't a fly rod with the reel behind the grip then its a spin rod, pretty much regardless of shape or size.

Being the age the book is it is not full of photos of tackle. But does in text mention rods beginning to be made of glass and plastic ... all very modern for the era!
Mainly talks of solid and tubular steel and bamboo.

ImageImageImage

Post 03 Oct 2018, 09:11 • #8 
Sport
I have collected pre-1960 Bass Fishing books since the 1950's along with tournament casting books. This book always struck me as having the cover of a child's book but the contents are anything but. It is the only book in its field that I have seen that talks about honing the edges of the teeth on the gears of the reel. The author was a well known and respected tournament caster.

Post 04 Oct 2018, 05:21 • #9 
Piscator
Hi Bill,
Since on this old thread I referenced Doc Henshall's book, here it is on-line on google books - free ebook
https://books.google.com/books/about/Bo ... &q&f=false

Our OP also got a really good buy on his copy of The Technique of Bait Casting - the used copies on Amazon are listed for $25+

New Topic Add Reply