It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:28

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Oct 2010, 15:28 • #1 
Master Guide
I want to build my first rod and strangely enough decided I am going to start with a spinning rod. I haven't fished with a spinning rod in years but decided I want to dial in the fishing off the pier on Lake Michigan by tossing cleos for the salmon and trout. It is easier obviously covering a lot of water at various depths with a spinning set up and I figure I might as well figure out the fishing with a spinning rod first. At the same time it is a good oppurtunity to try my hand at building my first rod. For some reason I have always been hesitant to tackle a fly rod build but the thought of attempting a spinning rod that will see some limited action doesn't scare me. I am looking for a recommendations on a blank to build up for fishing off a pier with relatively light line. I imagine fishing 6-8 lb test line with 5/8 ounce cleos etc. I am visualizing a yellow lami spinning rod blank, with full cork real seat handle and sliding rings. Anybody know what blanks I should be looking at, know a good online retailer of them or have suggestions on my approach at all as far as this build goes. I will be potentially catching anything from large smallmouths to king salmon, steelhead, lake trout or browns. Let me know and thanks in advance.

Post 17 Oct 2010, 04:26 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
This probably won't interest you but the cheap batson e-glass blanks make excellent spin rods. I've built a bunch off the spg-780,720, and the 781 for a medium action rod and the little 5 foot version for the ultra-lite crowd. These blanks, though all are less than $20 are tuff as nails and have great action. They are a mite heavier but you get a big bang for your buck. The 6'6" spg-781 sounds about right for the application you mentioned-p-

Post 17 Oct 2010, 05:15 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Pearow built a great spinning rod for me on one of thee blanks. Its a great little rod!

Post 17 Oct 2010, 14:03 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks for your input guys. I will definitely check them out.

Post 17 Oct 2010, 15:33 • #5 
Administrator
Spencer,

What length are you looking for? What lures other than a 5/8 oz Cleo might you use?

There are some brown Lami glass blanks, black Lami glass blanks, and honey Lami glass blanks. I've linked to the Mudhole catalog pages, which has a large selection of rod building components.

Tom

Post 18 Oct 2010, 02:43 • #6 
Master Guide
I am not sure on length, I was originally thinking 8-9' length. This is a new world to me and I don't think I would deviate much for this rod from throwing cleos or KO wobblers and other baitfish type heavier lures that can be cast a mile. I am targeting big lake fish with it and I am not into bait fishing. I am really using this technique to figure out when the fish are inshore and what depth they are at. Once I get that end of it figured out I will likely be grabbing my fly rod, sinking line and large streamers and attempting to mimic it. Fishing with a fly rod off the pier is not something you see happen and though I have been trying I want to try something new. My confidence in attempting to get one on the fly rod will go up once I have a few hit the more traditional pier gear that is used. Around here anybody not throwing bait is basically throwing cleos and other similar lures.

Thanks for the links.

New Topic Add Reply