It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:57

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Sep 2010, 12:55 • #1 
Guide
Let me tell you, I'm going to strip it,,,,,,, paint it, and do unimaginable things to it. If you don't agree with my thinking, you should have bought it before I got my hands on it. Image

I'll post the finished photos in a few weeks.

Last edited by Charged on 27 Sep 2010, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post 19 Sep 2010, 15:54 • #2 
Administrator
Spin reel? Or fly reel?

Tom

Post 20 Sep 2010, 04:42 • #3 
Piscator
just in case

though I'm not sure I want to see photos of him doing unimaginable things to it.

Post 21 Sep 2010, 01:06 • #4 
Emeritus
Yes ... what's the reel model?

Post 27 Sep 2010, 03:33 • #5 
Guide
I received the reel, and am happy with its operational condition. Once I get her all cleaned up, I'm defiantly going to be able to fish with it.
I will be matching this reel up with an Eagle Claw Featherlight.

My original plans were to strip it down, and repaint it. I do have automotive painting equipment, and know I can perform a nice looking job. But I'd still like to run this thought process by the collectors, before I possibly devalue anything.

Here are the photos.
ImageImage

As you can see, the paint is in poor condition, I'd like to make this reel look nice. Is this a good candidate for what I wan't to do, or should I just clean it up, and reassemble? I do not have much invested into it.

Post 27 Sep 2010, 04:05 • #6 
Piscator
I believe there were enough of the Ambidex No. 1 model made (just like this into the 60s) that, short of a mint, boxed reel, it has modest collector's value (at least within any of our lifetimes).
They do work well, and I know at least one person on the forum who regularly fishes these.

So its greatest value is how you value it personally.
If you can spot paint it and save the markings, that might make a cool reel.
I don't think solid paint over the markings would look too cool, but it's also your reel.

I also think its cool to fish an aged reel that shows its mileage and keeps fishing.

Post 27 Sep 2010, 06:50 • #7 
Guide
Thanks for the quick reply, I got started shortly after your response.I'll finish up another day, but here is today's progress.

I got it disassembled, decreased, and partially stripped.

Post 27 Sep 2010, 06:56 • #8 
Piscator
very nice, I see the shields came off

Post 27 Sep 2010, 13:11 • #9 
Administrator
Cool reel. Did you strip it by bead blasting or with a chemical stripper? I'm also interested to know how you got the shields off without any bending.

I was getting a little worried with the "and do unimaginable things to it ... " statement in your earlier post. It's never good to make my imagination run wild!

Tom

Post 27 Sep 2010, 14:10 • #10 
Guide
I first soaked the reel in a light vinegar solution for about 1 1/2 hours then removed the paint with steel wool, and a razor blade, I also had to use a wire brush in a few spots. The paint came off really easy. I was even able to take a lot of it off with my fingernails.

I got the shields off, by removing as many of the pins as I could from inside the reel with a punch. There were about 2 or 3 pins I couldn't remove from the inside, so I slipped a credit card underneath, then pried them out with a couple putty knifes. The pins are very small, and come out easily. You could see them below.

I reassembled the reel , just to make sure I don't loose any parts, or forget how to put it back together before I paint it. (I did not re-install the pins yet, I will be able to reuse them though, I just did not want to put them back in just yet) I think the reel would also look pretty neat if it was just polished (which I haven't done), I'm still planing to re-paint it. The paint on the spool was in good shape, so that was left alone.

Last edited by Charged on 27 Sep 2010, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Sep 2010, 14:36 • #11 
Guide
I remember painting a aluminum bike about 15-20 years ago, and acid etched it first. The bike still looks pretty good today. Does anyone know if a acid etch would ruin the brass bushings?

Last edited by Charged on 28 Sep 2010, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Sep 2010, 04:55 • #12 
Piscator
any time you're getting into shop chemicals, you've crossed the line from science to art.
Any time you're talking about painting aluminum, and mixing it with water, there is no science, anyway - science tells you it can't be done, which is why it's been replaced with anodizing.

aluminum passivates in mild acid, is actively attacked (corroded, etched) by alkalis and strong acids.
If it was an acid, what you may have actually been doing was passivating the aluminum rather than etching it - kind of like the old "lead" finish on prewar alloy reels (which is acid bronzing with mixed acids and arsenic salts). I believe Young continued some variation of this process on their postwar reels, and you can see the bronzed layer beneath their paint

The mixed acids I know that etch aluminum include hydrofluoric, and you don't want to mess with that.
Brass and bronze is going to passivate in all but the strongest alkali, will crack in ammonia, and will dealloy and plate copper onto your aluminum in any acid stronger than vinegar.

if you know something that worked for you before, it might be worth a try - drop a penny and a nail in it and see how the two behave.
If the nail turns copper, the bronze will probably defeat the etch you're trying to get on the aluminum.

Post 08 Oct 2010, 08:09 • #13 
Guide
I went ahead and just polished the reel up, I may still paint it someday in the future, but for now I am happy with the results.

I thought I was going to be all ready to go fishing with it, but as I was reeling up some line, I discovered another problem. The bail has a line groove in it, I'm now wondering if I should just dremmel out the groove until its smooth, or if I should try to fill it up with something? The grove is small, so I'm leaning towards grinding it out, but would like to hear out any suggestions.

Last edited by Charged on 08 Oct 2010, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

New Topic Add Reply