It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:26

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Aug 2010, 05:49 • #1 
Hello All,

Very nice to have found this forum (specifically the non-fly section), as I have a couple lingering questions about my eBay glass finds:

1) came across a solid glass Salmon Rod, marked "Martin James Redditch" w/ red guide inserts (probably fake agate). From what I've gathered, Martin James was a Brit RADIO sportscaster & avid angler, so the rod is fairly old. I was thinking of rebuilding with modern guides, but I don't want to strip the rod if it has any collectors' value ... not asking for an appraisal -- just opinions

2) lucked into a homemade 12' (maybe 12'2") Feralite Noodle & I absolutely love the sloppy monstrosity ... old, lime-green Fuji guides & all. I can't think of a better blank for 5-8 lb. braid. I'm curious about the line rating (no numbers on the blank, just "FSH_________"). I was told that all FSH noodles were rated 2-6 lb, but I have a hard time believing that. Is there any chance my rod could be a 2-8, or even 4-10?

3) When did Fenwick introduce ceramic guides & how good are they? Is there any way to tell by the Model#/Serial# whether the guides are "braid-proof". Now that I'm in love with brown glass (for use - not, collection), I need to know how to avoid wire guides, when only the part of butt section with spec's is pictured on eBay .

Thanks for whatever help/info anyone can provide.

Roman

P.S. I LOVE your Spellcheck. What is it? Is it Forum-specific, or can i load it up somehow?

Last edited by Anonymous on 16 Aug 2010, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Aug 2010, 03:22 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Hello Roman,
First off, welcome. With the limited info you have supplied I can only guess. Next, I'd make a request for pics as I'm unfamiliar with the "Salmon" rod and the Fenwick sounds like a Steelhead noodle rod for float fishing or bait. Here's some speculation on my part. First I can offer nothing with regards to the solid glass rod. The Fenwick with the FSH I believe to be a Steelhead rod for float fishing and/or light bait casting. I use to use spinning reels and bait casters with these type of rods, fishing spoons, spinners, and bait below floats or free drifting with the bait. The 2-6 b. rating is, from what I can dig out of my catalogs, the line range recommended, but I'm not positive. It would really help to know when the rod was produced and whether or not it is factory or a custom build. The one's I used where really light line rods and crazy to use.

The question of when Fenwick began to use ceramic guides I don't have the answer. I do believe that ceramic guides are hard enough to use with braided lines. If you have concerns with the braid grooving the guides, I would use the modern round braids instead of the more common oval shaped ones. I really don't think this is a concern.

As to how to avoid buying Fly rods(wire guides) when you want spinning or bait casting rods ask the sellers to describe the guides on the rod, or look for spinning or bait casting designations. Avoid all combo rods, such as those designated fly/spin. Again welcome, I hope you get your answers. Respectfully rvreclus

Post 18 Aug 2010, 03:17 • #3 
Piscator
Hi Roman,
thanks for joining us. I have a feeling you're across the pond. I'm glad the spellchecker (chequer? - ha) works for you, but please keep in mind we don't have a cross-the-pond-beta-language-translator.
When we're talking about spinning reels here, we're talking about fixed spools and not centrepins.
You also will see Avon and specimen float rods on your side of the pond that we would never see over here.
As our buddy Rodney pointed out, there is a little tackle overlap with North American steelhead fishermen using salmon rods and centrepins (maybe with a flyrod for float fishing - "steelheading") , but even those guys order most of their tackle from your side of the pond.
Ceramic guides showed up some time in the late 70s, based on my Fenwick and Silaflex bass (baitcast) rods.

Solid glass rods are going to be early postwar, and were largely replaced by tubular glass in the early 50s.
Sorry I can't help with Martin James, but this is a OS catalog from 1953
Image Image
now that you've found us - don't be a stranger - and we would love to see photos of your rods.

and not saying we don't like the things, mind you, because I do have a couple of centrepins, under-the-rod baitcasters, a bamboo Avon and a split-cane Stephenson salmon spinning rod.

New Topic Add Reply