It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:24

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Jun 2010, 08:52 • #1 
Guide
My son has decided he wants to start fishing again. He is in his mid 20's now and the old closed face reel I got him when he was small has bit the dust. My Dad had an old Mitchell reel but I wouldn't know where to start with spinning gear now as I haven't used anything but a fly rod for over 25 years. What would be a good quality but low priced set up? It doesn't have to be vintage but I would like to get him something that works well and won't break after a season or two. Thanks in advance. -Roy

Post 25 Jun 2010, 10:29 • #2 
Piscator
what kind of fish, water/overhang - got to start somewhere.

Joe Robinson, a note fly fisherman and author for 30 years developed a "system" and wrote an article a few years ago about fly fishing with ultralight spinning tackle.

Post 25 Jun 2010, 18:43 • #3 
Master Guide
Lots of good spinning glass on eBay . If you want something for general use try any Fenwick spinning rod between 6.5' and 7.5' that takes 6-12 lb. line, as well as any similar Wright & McGill or Conolon rod. For reels there have been nice vintage Garcia, Shakespeare and DAM Quick out there. Garcia 304 or a DAM Quick 220 or 330 would be quality gear for the rod. I would expect a rod and reel could be had between $75 and $150. Recently picked up a 6 ft. Shakespeare rod (1953 vintage) and a Shakespeare 2052 reel (1964) for $55 total with the shipping.

I have used a Fenwick PLS70-4 with a DAM Quick 330 for over 40 years that has seen everything from bluegill to stripers and salmon. Last year I went to BassPro and handled every single spinning reel they had from $50 to $300. Didn't find a single thing I would rather use than my Quick 330 or Garcia 304.

Post 26 Jun 2010, 05:04 • #4 
Master Guide
If you would rather get a new reel checkout a Shimano Sedona spinning reel. 50.00 to 60.00 new, super smooth, with all the modern features. I have 4 of them in various sizes and love em'. It will last forever if you take care of it. For rods checkout the mid price stuff from All Star or Falcon. Decent graphite rods for the money and can be found on sale at the big box stores. For vintage glass, I agree with kitefly. But don't forget the Mitchell 308 or 300.

Post 26 Jun 2010, 06:12 • #5 
Guide
Thanks guys. Those are great suggestions. I guess he will be fishing mostly in lakes for warm water species; maybe some bass etc., but occasionlly in rivers for trout. Your suggestions have given me enough to make a decision with and when I'm back at the old homestead later this summer I'll see if Dad's old Mitchell is still in the garage and salvageable. -Roy

Post 26 Jun 2010, 10:01 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
If someone is getting back into fishing, I would just go the standard route and avoid the vintage glass. A nice IM6 or IM7 "store brand" rod is probably the best value. There are far too many choices to make when spin fishing. With a fly rod, the standard first rod is a 9' 5wt, but that is assuming you are targeting trout, panfish or smaller bass. I agree with the recommendation of the reel. In spin fishing, the reel is much more important than in fly fishing.

Carl

Post 27 Jun 2010, 04:55 • #7 
Guide
Hey lonefisherman, in regards to toe Shimano Sedona, do you think it makes much difference if the reel is made from graphite or aluminum? -Roy

Post 27 Jun 2010, 09:30 • #8 
Master Guide
Hi All;

For someone just getting back into fishing, I don't think you can beat a Shakespeare Ugly stik for a medium weight spinning rod. Fairly inexpensive, casts well and as durable as they get. The IM6 store rods are superior to the Ugly stik at least my Galyan's IM6 far outcasts the ugly stik and is more sensitive but then again it would have cost twice as much as an Ugly Stik other than I purchased it when Galyans went out of business for next to nothing.

As far as freshwater spinning reels, I'd recommend an Okuma Avenger series spinning reel, I have Shimano Sedona and the Okuma Avenger and the Avemger is a much better reel at a better price. Sedona 3 ball bearings, Avenger 5 ball bearings, the Avenger seems better counterbalanced than the Sedona. Finally the Avenger's spool causes less line twist then the Sedona.

Wayne

Post 27 Jun 2010, 13:27 • #9 
Master Guide
I'm not sure it matters whether it's made of graphite or aluminum. I've never handled an Okuma reel, so I'm not sure if I would prefer it over the Sedona or not. It usually takes using a reel a while to tell how it's going to hold up. The Sedonas hold up well. As for 3 versus 5 ball bearings, smooth is smooth. I've never had a line twist problem with any Shimano reel.

Post 28 Jun 2010, 01:15 • #10 
Master Guide
I've had good luck with both Shimano and Okuma reels - they are the only two lines of spinning reels I buy now. Cheap spinning reels have a way of falling apart in the long run and the Shimano and Okuma reels do best in the end for me. They both have a wide range of prices so you can get a reel in your price range. The old Quick and Mitchell reels are fine if you want to go retro.

Most of the store rods are OK. My current favorite spinning rods are the Fenwick and St Croix rods, but most of the less expensive rods do the job. The Bass Pro less expensive lines are fine. I like a 6 1/2' to 7' rod even for small trout streams - never fell in with the short ultra-light crowd.

For retro fiberglass I really like the Phillipson or Orvis Full-Flex lines. They are more expensive than most retro rods, but the spinning rods are far cheaper than the equivalent fly rods. The big issue with going retro is the time it takes to find the rod you want. For the new stuff you just walk into a nearby store or go to Cabelas or Bass Pro on line; for the old stuff it is a long term quest at flea markets, yard sales, and Ebay.

Post 29 Jun 2010, 04:45 • #11 
Piscator
I'm with Jeff - you can get very good buys in Phillipson glass spin rods. Also Cortland.
I'm a big fan of Penn spinning reels - the smoothest ever made, and they keep going like the energizer bunny.
I've landed redfish on the ultralight 4200SS, and their graphite reels are amazingly light

Conversely, the little Penn 716 in green is amazingly classy.

New Topic Add Reply