It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:20

New Topic Add Reply
Sliding rings
Post 02 Apr 2010, 23:54 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Pearow mentioned in another discussion that he likes the sliding rings on a full cork grip. Me too, but I'm not making spinning rods anymore. They are more comfortable to my hand than a fixed seat, and they let reel placement vary according to the reel used. I have no idea--maybe they are as conveniently available as ever for cheap, but in case not, here are two sets of the type common on 'glass spinning rods, as shown in the photo that heads this section. The UL diameter set has the St. Croix logo. If anybody wants them for approximate postage--maybe $3.00--or a handful of size 6 or 8 Wooly worms, message me. I have some of the old Fuji single-foot guides in stray sizes, mostly smaller. Mention if you like those and I'll toss a few in. Have tiptops of that type to throw in also, but mostly smaller sizes that fit some graphite, but not most 'glass.

Sliding rings
Post 05 Apr 2010, 05:20 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
well, nobody spoke up and I waited a respectful time, so if you still have them I would like to have them. I'm gonna build a couple of spin rods from the spg780/720 blanks and those will work fine. I'll take the fuji's also and I'll send you postage plus some dynomite briminators and other brimbugs-p-

Sliding rings
Post 05 Apr 2010, 10:02 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
You're the man for them, pearow. Glad you can make use of them. They are a pretty classic "vintage" styling cue, but to me they are also very savy as a grip/seat design on any spinning rod of any light to midweight. One of the best all around anglers I know gave me a UL spinning rod he made--all because I gave him a shotgun for behind the seat of his truck and told him I wanted nothing in return. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed he didn't use sliding bands, but I have caught a lot of bass and crappie with it. If he hadn't made it specially for me, I'd have changed the grip long ago to use those little St. Croix bands. The rod was junk but the bands are good.

Gathering up the stuff for pearow, I picked up my Herter's UL 'glass, which I built about 1970. Trout, bass, then crappies for many years and one or two guide changes. It spent 35 years with an Alcedo Micron, which I sold a few years ago. Along the way it became my mackerel rod. I didn't break any state laws by rinsing it off after use in salt water, either. Well, you can see the reel seat must have a pretty good quality finish as it is in good shape. The cork was glued up with Herter's powdered Weldwood-type glue, and that is all sound, too. I photoed it to show the other type sliding spinning reel seat I like. I think Phillipson had one similar. For all I know, something similar is still sold. I quick turned down the grip this morning to show the full range of placement you could get with these seats according to the length and contour of the grip. You could mount them either direction on the grip (or even use a press on-off butt cap so you could slide the seat off and turn it around). I like them with the screw-lock ring up under the forefingers. To me, these or simple bands always seemed the best for fly/spin combos as opposed to the multiple seat rigs provided on some of that type. I built up a 6' yellow Fenwick fly-rod blank that way--the one I just took a set of bands off--and used it in the '70s with a Pflueger 1494 and the Alcedo.

Last edited by whrlpool on 06 Apr 2010, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.

Sliding rings
Post 14 May 2010, 02:10 • #4 
Emeritus
Wow- I REALLY like those photos whrl!

A time travel back to your early rod work- nice.

I too prefer the rings to a fixed system- more comfortable (nothing like cork fore and aft of your grip!) and way more flexible- encourages variously-weighted reels on the same rod, and- best of all- I can adjust the reel position slightly if I'm pooped late in the day or just want a different feel.

My only issue is that depending on the match of foot shape to ring shape, a reel can quickly become "unglued" from seat rings and drop into the drink ... hence borrowing a friend's hair thingy as backup last week down in Florida with the 301 onboard a Fen SF74, otherwise a perfect marriage Image

Sliding rings
Post 14 May 2010, 05:04 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Mitchells are notorious for falling off because they purposely made the foot oversized so it would only fit their rods. I filed the foot on my 308 just a little and its now very secure.

Sliding rings
Post 14 May 2010, 09:17 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the follow-ups, gentleman. Pearow sent me a few very useful flies which I used successfully for what few early season fish were moving. After using the smaller versions, I tied on one of the Wooly Buggers he sent and a rainbow just short of 20" pounded it on the first cast. I had missed a fish on the first cast with one of the other flies he sent. That is a good thing with new stuff from good people.

What was not good was that the next week my vest with several boxes of flies including those from Pearow, was stolen. Fortunately, I had no reels in it it, and my wife just gave me a better vest she custom made for me. But it's annoying as I don't care for fly-tying much and had quite an accumulation of stuff tied over the years and some nice fly boxes of course.

As to the rings, you know, I never had a spinning reel come loose, including Mitchells. I don't know, these days I see people using spinning rods and open-faced reels with the reel completely above the casting hand, completely below it, two hands, neither around the reel and so on. Perhaps that is the way it is supposed to be done these days. I rarely spinfish anymore, but still grip a rod with two fingers forward of the foot/shaft and two behind. That used to be the way it was supposed to be done, and is entirely comfortable and natural. A reel just can't come off that way, and if it loosens in the least, you feel it immediately and tighten.

Thanks again. I like these walks through time. I prefer right now and the future in most areas, but some fishing techniques just have never been improved upon, and sometimes the streamside lowlife, like the skunk who stole my vest, is worse.

Sliding rings
Post 14 May 2010, 12:31 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Sorry to heart about your vest! I'm horrible about knowing the names for flies, so if I lost my boxes I wouldn't know where to begin to replace everything. As for a good grip on a spinning rod: I too prefer the split-finger grip. It seems like I have the most control and balance that way. But I still have had a reel fall off while changing lures, taking a fish off or mucking with a tangle.

Sliding rings
Post 14 May 2010, 15:22 • #8 
Emeritus
whrl, truly sorry about the vest & boxes.

Pete, agreed in general.

If we're talking about filing the length of the 300 series to better secure the wider Fenwick rings, I'll stick with the Skrunchy (hair band!) for now ...

Guess I'm just sentimental about maintaining the integrity of this particular 301!

New Topic Add Reply