It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 10:42

New Topic Add Reply
spring break
Post 19 Mar 2010, 11:01 • #1 
Piscator
decided to put the report under here, since the guy with the Japanese glass flyrod (me) was so busy baiting for the girls with the spinning tackle that I managed to hook up only one (Big) redfish and broke him off
Spent the week at Corpus with my daughter, my girlfriend and her daughter.
We tried kayaking one day - they said the wind was 14 kts - they lied - it was 24 if it was a dime.
We couldn't turn a boat to get it off the landing.
Well, OK, Victoria and I got a boat across the channel for a little hermit crab hunting - 5 minutes of paddling against the wind, and about 30 seconds to get pushed back
So we retreated to the Dairy Queen for chili cheese fries and Butterfinger Blizzards
After a day of rain, we went back to a beautiful day with genuine 8 knot winds.
Gorgeous sunshine, 75, and the water was warm enough for wet wading (though we saw many tourists in waders)
Back to that calm sunny day
Tammie with the first nice fish (of Many)
here - she's fishing my Penn 4300 SS on an 8-1/2' Loomis GL2
and another
and another
Erin with a red that would break her off (Penn 4200SS on a Falcon 5' 1-pc ultralight)
but she did land this big hardhead - I think the biggest I've ever seen
Victoria with a rat red (my favorite Penn 716 on a 6-1/2' Falcon 1-pc)
the reds finally moved off, the girls got bored, and we paddled up a hunger for the next couple of hours
Image Image
after that, we had dinner at Captain Benny's - don't let the name fool you, it's owned by the mayor of Fulton and completely staffed by her family.
GENUINELY, the best fried seafood I've ever had (everyone else lied about those other places).
We did take photos, but not of the oysters, shrimp and grouper - sorry, we really worked up a hunger ...

spring break
Post 19 Mar 2010, 12:33 • #2 
Master Guide
great pics and report Ron! the girls looked like they had a good time! good for you for getting them out and sharing time with them in the water.

spring break
Post 19 Mar 2010, 21:24 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog, thanks for straightening me out, I always thought the best fried seafood was The Lighthouse in Bayou La Batre, AL.Though I might be biased as it belongs to members of my family. I'll have to find Capt Benny's next time we are in Aransas Pass. MMMMM Oysters, fried oysters, raw oysters, oyster gumbo, oysters rockefeller. Never met a gulf oyster I didn't like. Gulf shrimp also.
RFMcD
Friends don't let friends eat imported shrimp

spring break
Post 20 Mar 2010, 03:28 • #4 
Piscator
Uncle was standing at the sink shucking oysters the whole time we were there. I had to take the girls over to watch - sorry I didn't get a photo.
They're on Fulton Beach Road, a block from The Boiling Pot.
Only open on Wed to Sat, bring your own wine and beer.

The Boiling Pot is another story. We were among their first trial guests before they opened the door in the late-80s.
Cable spools for tables, big roll of butcher paper for table cloths. Put a bib on you, dump a cajun pot in the middle of the table and hand you a hammer for the crabs and a roll of paper towels.
They have franchised now.

New Topic Add Reply