It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 11:30

New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Jan 2010, 03:02 • #1 
Master Guide

I've built dozens of fly rods, but never had a reason to build a spinning rod. I'd like to build one for my father in law. I was thinking a good all around medium action, he likes to fish for bass and walleye. I'd like to do it in glass, but I'm open to graphite. I've just started searching catalogs for components, but if you guys have any ideas for reel seats, handles, etc, that would be great. I see alot of reel seats are graphite, I think they look kinda cheap, I'd like to do a nice wood/aluminum or at least all aluminum seat. I haven't spin fished for 25 years, I might have to build one for myself as well!
thanks!

Post 13 Jan 2010, 14:30 • #2 
Administrator
I agree with your assessment that graphite reelseats look cheap. However, Fuji graphite seats wear like iron, don't jam, and don't suck heat out of my hands in cold weather. In many respects a graphite reelseat is so functional that it's beautiful - even when it's ugly. Single foot ceramic spinning guides are the same way.

Check Batson, Lamiglas, Mudhole, and Jann's Netcraft for glass spinning rod blanks.

Tom

Post 18 Jan 2010, 12:50 • #3 
Master Guide
thanks Tom, I have all those catalogs, just can't decide what I want. as for the cold hands, I was thinking of an aluminum and cork reelseat. don't know if anyone makes one, might have to fabricate one.
this is a pretty neat project, lots of new info to absorb after so many years working on fly rods!
thanks again!
alan

Post 19 Jan 2010, 04:12 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I've built a bunch of spin rods. I like to build them with a cork handle and two rings. You can vary the placement of the reel on the cork handle to optimize the line going thru the first guide, thus improving casting accuracy and distance. Also with the all cork/rings you can use it as a fly rod in a pinch-p-

Post 23 Jan 2010, 02:26 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Glass blanks are great for live bait and other "delicate" presentation rigs, or for durability (like surf rods), but for a bass rod that is going to be casting fast retrieving baits, I would go with graphite. Especially for someone else.

Batson RX7 blanks are nice and a relative bargain.

I also am building my first spin rod, and am trying to figure out what all the pieces are. I am thinking of going to go with a split grip, though the fuji ispd with matching cork or eva grip is very nice.

Carl

New Topic Add Reply