It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 09:21

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Sep 2009, 14:34 • #1 

now that I have found your cool site I have been digging though my rods many of witch I do not know a thing on uther than I love fishing them. so please hummer a new guy with lot of dumb questions.
I have this Pflueger Supreme Boron is it Glass or what. on the handle it is marked Ultra Glass , the rod is marked Boron or is Boron type of glass , I like fishing this one for bass and piket. this rod will cast a crank a mile and has a back bone that will not stop. I know pics help but I just do not get that yetr I am working on it
thanks for helping a grrn horn
Johny B

Post 25 Sep 2009, 16:45 • #2 
Administrator
John,

Boron (boron carbide) is another super fiber used to make fly rods. It was seen much more in the 80s and early 90s. Graphite is more popular with rod blank makers because it is lighter and considerably cheaper than boron.

I'm not at all familiar with the Pflueger Supreme Boron rods. Perhaps the Ultra Glass designation on the handle refers only to the handle?

Tom

Post 25 Sep 2009, 21:22 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
At D'Back the old Boron rods were made with pre-preg graphite cloth and boron fibers were then laid out lengthwise on the cloth before they were rolled. I think that the ultra glass were probably done the same way. They were never a popular rod at D'Back.
RFMcD

Post 01 Oct 2009, 06:00 • #4 
Master Guide
Most of the new graphite rods being sold by the RL Winston Rod Company these days are a boron/graphite composite. They include the BIIx, BIIt, and BIImx rod lines.

Here is a link to a video where the Winston rod designer talks about designing the BIIt rod:

http://www.winstonrods.com/winston_channel.html

P.S. Sorry! I guess the link doesn't go right to the boron rod. It is under company films and is the second film in the top row.

Post 02 Oct 2009, 15:14 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
My information is from the Dale Clements custom rod building book, but boron was a competitor to graphite and S-glass, but was more expensive and never took off. As Johny B said, it is making a comeback in top end rods.

An old Boron rod is probably a top of the line rod from that era.
Don't give that rod up. It sounds like a fun rod to fish.

Carl

Post 02 Oct 2009, 20:23 • #6 
Master Guide
There is a section on boron rods in Campbell's Fly Fishing Tackle and a chapter in Schwiebert's Trout.

Campbell says that, "Boron rods were at least 75 percent graphite". "The boron-graphite composite rods were a tad heavier than straight graphite models, but they loaded in a slower rhythm that was pleasing throughout the cast." He talks about boron rods from Don Phillips, Ted Simroe (Rodon Rods) , Shakespeare, and Orvis. The Phillips rods were solid boron.

Schwiebert also talks about Don Phillips. "Phillips built his first boron prototypes late in 1971, and took his first trout with one that following spring on the Battenkill". Schwiebert tested some of Phillips protypes. In one of his reports to Phillips he said, "The first graphites were casting cannons, perfect for shooting heads and distance casting-but your boron rod has a lovely stroke, soft and a little like bamboo". He also talks about boron rods from Rodon, Orvis, Browning, Lake King, Shakespeare, Ron Kusse, and Fenwick.

In a quick google search I found Wright and McGill currently marketing boron rods in addition to Winston.

Post 12 Oct 2009, 19:29 • #7 
Master Guide
I've read somewhere- I think it may have been A. J. Campbell's book- that the early boron rods were fragile and prone to fracture. I note that all of the ones currently being made are boron-graphite composites.

Boron is element 5 on the periodic chart- lighter than carbon (which shows up in fishing rods under the form of graphite), which is element 6.

The lighter atomic weight probably inspired the first experiments with using it as a rod-making material.

Beryllium- element 4- is too brittle, and out of the question; element 3, Lithium, is so reactive that it has to be kept under oil, because it sparks and fizzles when in contact with water, even the water in the air. Helium and hydrogen are both gases.

But Boron-! It's a "metalloid."

New Topic Add Reply