It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:56

New Topic Add Reply
Barclay 795
Post 14 Feb 2024, 13:30 • #1 
Hello!! I know some can answer this question on this forum. And I believe Aurelio had on recently made. How do you guys utilize your Barclay 795 Synthesis rod? Is it more attune to dry flies or can it handle small nymphs and dry droppers well? I am a fly fisherman in SW PA and fish trout streams in my area. I love Chris's rods and own 4 currently with one (an 82) on the build list. I appreciate any feedback and hope you are all well!

Tight Lines!
Jim

Re: Barclay 795
Post 14 Feb 2024, 23:43 • #2 
Master Guide
I can't speak for the 3pc Barclay Synthesis General Practitioner, but the 5pc Traveling General Practitioner will definitely handle what you want. At least in my experience.

I have had a blast with mine fishing soft hackles, dries in a variety of sizes, nymphs, and dry/dropper combos. I have not fished it with streamers, but it feels stout enough to handle small streamers within reason.

In my hands, the 5pc Traveling version of this rod fishes very well with standard weight DT and WF lines in 5wt. A very fun rod on large streams to smaller to medium rivers, and very intuitive to cast and fish for me.

From comments I have read from others, it sounds like the 3pc version might be a bit lighter in feel/action and possibly more of a 4/5wt rod. But I have not handled the 3pc General Practitioner rod.

Post 15 Feb 2024, 08:57 • #3 
Guide
I have only fished a DT4 on my 3 piece 7’9” General Practitioner but law cast a DT5. It is capable of delivering dries, sub surface nymphs and weighted nymphs accurately with ease…I have repeatedly called it a Jack Russell Terrier of my fly rods because it performs bigger than its size…it’s not just for small water, I have successfully fished it on the Gallatin where the water is wide and fast.

Post 19 Feb 2024, 09:27 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The only thing it does poorly is bow and arrow cast but I don’t fish this rod that close.I have the 5 pc. And it is great it will handle dries,dries and droppers and streamers on a 4wt. Teeny mini sink tip line.Great pack rod and I use a SA mastery series trout wf 4 or a SA xps DT 5. Great all rounder…….Aurelio

New Topic Add Reply