It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:33

New Topic Add Reply
FF75 Capability?
Post 25 Jan 2024, 19:44 • #1 
Sport
I just bought a FF75 thinking about the small streams of the San Gabriels and San Bernardinos in So. Cal. There's a lot of quiet shallow water in those streams, so I'm more comfortable with a 4 wt line than a 5. I know some FF75s are marked 6 wt, but mine is marked 5 and 6. I'm in Indiana (cold and damp) and I'm anxious to know from those who know if this rod is capable with a 4 wt. I know it'll work out a 4 wt line, but will I feel the sweet loading feel I'm looking for in a 2-number Fenwick.
My experience is that my FF70 does feel nice with a 4 wt. but my FF79 doesn't feel sweet even with a 5 wt till it's got 25 or 30 feet out. Hoping my FF75 can be a nice 4, but even lawn casing doesn't feel the same as on the water.
Whatcha think?

Fish on!
Peter`

Re: FF75 Capability?
Post 25 Jan 2024, 20:14 • #2 
Master Guide
Experience would lead me to guess that a 4 will not give you the feedback you’re describing, if cast with an FF75.
I have fished the FF70 and FF70–4 with a 4-weight on by accident, and those combos didn’t cause me a second thought. But I wouldn’t necessarily be eager to try that on the big brother rod.
If you were going to be casting out some distance, then a 4 might make sense at some point, but I don’t think the FF75 would be the rod for that application in any case.
HOWEVER — YMMV. Maybe it will feel nice? Worth a try.

Post 26 Jan 2024, 06:41 • #3 
Master Guide
My FF75 would not feel good at all with a 4 wgt line. It’s definitely a six in my hands but, rods vary, and casters vary, so give it a shot. The right line on yours is the one that works for you.

Post 26 Jan 2024, 12:55 • #4 
Sport
I fish my FF75 with a DT5 444 peach. The rod is marked for a 6 for whatever that’s worth. I like this combo on smaller rivers. Little Manistee - Pine - Big Sauble - etc

Post 27 Jan 2024, 05:56 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
" I know it'll work out a 4 wt line, but will I feel the sweet loading feel I'm looking for in a 2-number Fenwick ... but even lawn casing doesn't feel the same as on the water.
Whatcha think?"

hmm, lawn casting or water casting or gymnasium casting etc. the rod loading/ feedback is happening in the air so surface underfoot doesn't seem too important to me. If I can aerialize 15'-30' or 50' of line and false cast it a few times in the yard it is going to load the rod pretty much exactly as it will on the water. The only differences would be in pick-up friction or in rollcasting. I don't think there is much feedback from pick-up and after ~50 years of practice, I still can't roll cast a #4 line effectively.
My thoughts are that for short casts where only 5'-15' of line are in use (rod + leader+ line = 20'-30') a heavier line carries more fly more accurately, and with only 10' of line out even a #10 line would really "load" a "#5" rod. A #4 line at 20' distance is pretty much like casting leader only to me, with any rod.
I like my FF75 with a #5 line at distance >25' if aerial casting or with a #7 if working close or roll casting. Yes I can aerial cast a #4line with it, but the short rod combined with low line mass keep me from mending as well as I want. And the short rod plus low line mass also applies roll casting comfortably with less than #6 line.
But this is more about my inability than the rod's.
I also think that only you can determine what you like. Try the rod out wherever you can with every weight line from #3-#7 and with the casts and mending that you will use most.
I'll say this about shallow water, clear water and trout vs line weight-
The fish and the reel are covered in water for estimate of clarity, water depth where the fish were feeding ~30" with a #7 line last week. I'm not sure what the fly was, #14 Pheasant Dry, I think, but that wasn't the only fish caught there that afternoon and It may have been The Usual.
I'll add that on different days in other years I've taken dozens of parr marked 4-6" trout from that same piece of stream with other 7wt rods.

Post 27 Jan 2024, 10:44 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Rather than try to make the rod what is not, experiment with using it at is best. The delicacy needed will be in a well designed leader and the front taper of the line--along with the position and care in making a cast. A 5 or 6 weight that can be cast with a relaxed, compact stroke--as is the nature of mid-weight glass such as your Fenwick, can be more accurate and delicate than a 4 weight that takes "line-speed" and flailing to get there. That's the potential downside of under-lining a 'glass rod, even though it will cast a short line of about any weight by waving it out. Realize that a stick will do that. Delicacy is much more in the presentation and leader than in the particular line weight. The most control and delicacy are in overall match of line weight to rod.

Post 27 Jan 2024, 13:35 • #7 
Sport
I've been wondering about--hoping about--that. The streams I'm talking about are shallow and clear enough to see whether I'm scaring fish with the 'splash-down' of a line. I'm, actually hoping that this rod will present a 5wt -- or even a 6wt line -- delicately.
And yes, I need a delicate leader formula. And that means delicate, not long. Do you have any suggestions about where I might look?

Post 27 Jan 2024, 14:53 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
For a delicate line, I would try a Cortland peach in #5 or a wulf triangle taper in #6.

For leaders, the trout hunter leaders.
Are expensive, but in that spooky water, it makes a difference.

Post 27 Jan 2024, 22:13 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
That's Peach DT7F in my picture, although the color doesn't show, fish had a lot of color too. I build my own leaders, always have so I can't recommend any extruded leader, ones I've tried had thicker butts than I like.
That water is pretty clear, 6-8" deep where the reel is, and I was standing about 20' from the fish. I guess that if I could see them then they could see me? I'd guess the flow that day at <40CFS, its a small spring branch.
I don't worry a lot about spooking them, they have short memories for the most part, I used to wade right up the middle of strange streams, noting where the fish spooked from and where they hid, then drink a cup of coffee and rig up and by that time the fish would be back on station, I've stood in streams and had adult fish take a station in the wake of my legs, less than a foot from my leg just moments after spooking and fleeing.
carlz suggested lines would work for me on my FF75. I have both and would like use the DT5F more often that the TT6F. I think the last few times I used it with a China DT6F. I bought the China lines as being affordable for experimental line/rod matching purposes, but find myself fishing with them fairly often.

Post 28 Jan 2024, 10:10 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
In case you want to go way down a rabbit hole, there will be something of interest here or in similar discussions turned up by searching a phrase like "small stream leader." viewtopic.php?f=32&t=17881&hilit=small+stream+leader

Other than the leader, though, as with line and rod choice--technique first. Virtually any cast of any line-leader-fly size makes a disturbance. Spooking fish is usually more a product of approach, position, frequency of casting, and patience while the fly is on the water. Sloppy pick up--often to make another cast before the first one is fished out--may spook fish again.

Post 28 Jan 2024, 14:30 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
If you don't need a long leader, I would work on presentation casts. The pile cast works well, and being able to straighten the leader in the air and having the fly land first also helps.

If you are scaring fish regularly, it is often from a cast that slaps the water, or from lining the fish. Having fished the letort and other slow spring creeks, patience and a stealth approach are the first requirement, and then no bad casts. Once you put the fish down, it is time to move on.

New Topic Add Reply