It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:56

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Jun 2023, 12:50 • #1 
Guide
So I think I might be splitting hairs here. I have been using the aforementioned Titan long on my Barclay lil stiffy. I love this rod. It is the most versatile and fun rod I have every fished. I have noticed that the titan long is a bit splashy when I am throwing dries (though it didnt seem seem to matter last night in the middle of a hex hatch) As such I bought some 444 peach 8 wt (same grain weight at 30 ft) on the theory that it has a longer front taper and likely will do better with dries. Am I splitting hairs here? Or am I really onto something here?

Post 13 Jun 2023, 08:44 • #2 
Guide
Your reasoning sounds good to me. The titan long certainly has more mass at the front, so a thinner and longer taper on the 444 peach would in theory land softer. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts more once you fish the two lines.

Post 13 Jun 2023, 13:43 • #3 
Guide
I only use the Titan type lines when I have to; mainly for casting big bulky flys. They have their place. A traditional taper line always seems to cast smoother to me and more versatile. You'll just have to try both and see what meets your needs. Have fun.

I'm trying to hone in a line for a Steffen 10/11 rod.

Post 13 Jun 2023, 19:48 • #4 
Nope not splitting hairs. Titan long is a great line but a bit more aggressive and front loaded than most lines. Plus those titan long lines are juiced up, heavier than their labeled weight (I’m actually using a 6wt bass bug which is basically the titan long on a b2x 8wt).

I’m sure the titan long casts real nicely but will tend to go in a little hot, especially for dries

New Topic Add Reply