It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:20

New Topic Add Reply
9-10 wt boat rod options
Post 20 May 2023, 05:07 • #1 
Guide
Hello, I am getting a larger skiff and will be able to target larger fish with things like big hollow deceivers and maybe even some beast fleyes later this year. To be clear this is boat fishing and I have no expectations of 90 ft casts.

I am considering the BAG 9 wt or 10wt.

Any suggestions or advice?

Post 21 May 2023, 07:15 • #2 
Guide
I have the BAG 10wt Quickshot. It is a capable 10wt. Although I prefer my Bandit, if I had to choose between the two.

Post 21 May 2023, 08:49 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
A few thoughts on heavyweight glass in general so take that for what it is. I'll touch on what I personally have experience with.

Bandit: One of my favorite rods. I have the older 7'9" version and use it for the majority of my tiger musky fishing where I'm throwing 8" flies. I don't fish beast fleyes, but it would handle them just fine (even the big ones, if tied correctly, are easily castable on 8wts even). The Bandit is easy to cast all day.

Steffen 10/11 (7'9"): just got my hands on it and it's just a sweet as my other Steffens and way more powerful than the Bandit (which more than holds its own with any 10wt out there).

Both the Steffen and the Bandit (the Bandit more-so) are easily castable all day long if that's what you're doing.

NFC Iconoglass 10wt: really fun rod to cast, handles a wide range of flies, and an absolute big fish tamer. I wouldn't want to cast it all day long though but if you're after something like Tarpon where you're not repetitively casting, it's also a winner.

Regarding the BAG, I do have it in 7wt and it's a fantastic all around rod that has plenty of power for most things you don't need a 10+ wt for. I've never cast the 10wt (no need with my current lineup) so can't speak specifically to that.

Post 21 May 2023, 13:51 • #4 
Guide
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info. Here are some clarifications, I’m fishing for bluefish, striped bass, and false albacore. Fish can be from 5 pounds to thirty. My main concerns are ability to cast medium to large saltwater flies into the wind, and have the durability to deal with knocks, surges, and being hooked up to big fish. The last few years there has been plenty of large bait, and I haven’t really been able to fish the flies required. I’m also building a 16 ft skiff that will put on flats with frequent large fish.

Post 21 May 2023, 13:57 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
ah, gotcha. Out of the three I've listed above that I own, my Steffen is definitely the "punchiest", but the other two do pretty well as well.

New Topic Add Reply