It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:44

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Apr 2023, 15:44 • #1 
Sport
While doing some saltwater fishing down in Florida last week, the butt section of a custom 8-weight glass rod I own broke while fighting a feisty Spanish Mackerel. Essentially, the spigot ferrule separated from the butt section, which cracked. I don't want to post much more specific info (i.e., which blank, which builder, in fairness to both), as I picked up the rod second-hand, so I'm not sure how much abuse it received previously.

Is something like that readily fixable? Figured I'd check here before reaching out to the builder (especially if it's a waste of time).

Post 09 Apr 2023, 16:27 • #2 
Administrator
It is much easier to give advice if you post photos of the damage. Other rods with ugly looking breaks have been successfully repaired.

That said, the first option is to contact the builder. As the second owner, you shouldn't expect a free repair. But the builder knows more about your rod than anyone else.

Tom

Post 09 Apr 2023, 17:38 • #3 
Sport
Thanks Tom - that's totally fair (and I'd absolutely expect to pay for repairs in this instance). I figured I'd get some opinions as to whether it was a lost cause first. Here are some pics with the builder info erased.

Bill

Post 10 Apr 2023, 09:20 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
You can fix just about anything, but some repairs will not be pretty.

Yes, pictures or we are just guessing

Post 10 Apr 2023, 14:49 • #5 
Sport
Hmm, the pictures I thought I posted previously did not actually post...

Edit: I guess I did wrong earlier!

Post 10 Apr 2023, 18:25 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for pictures

I would make a longer spigot that would extend under all the damage, then wrap over it and you would be good to go. Look like maybe an inch or so more on the spigot would do it.

Post 10 Apr 2023, 18:49 • #7 
Administrator
For a saltwater rig, that break is in a bad location. In my opinion, the original spigot is way too short. While I still don't think the rod builder is obliged to fix it, that spigot was poorly done...

Remove the short fighting butt to gain access to the interior of the rod blank. If the reel seat can be readily removed, do so. You will have to see how the butt section was built once you have access.

Fit a solid glass spigot to replace the hollow one. I would make the spigot go at least 1.5" past the damage, if not more. Given the location, the weight of extra spigot length won't hurt. Glue the spigot with a good long setting epoxy. Work some epoxy into the breaks, if possible. If possible, I would overwrap the repair with Kevlar or fiberglass thread. Those splits in the blank need support to prevent them from opening again.

If you were able to remove the reelseat, reinstall it so the existing breaks are on the side, rather than the top or bottom of the blank. That way the breaks have less stress on them.

Optional step, overwrap the whole mess with dark blue nylon to hide the repair.

Tom

Post 10 Apr 2023, 19:34 • #8 
Sport
Thanks both, this is very helpful. I'm going to reach out to the builder to get his thoughts. I'll update here once I have some sort of resolution.

Here's the fish in question:

Post 05 May 2023, 06:46 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
That's certainly fixable. It will end up being stiffer and stronger - which means next time it could break higher up. If possible you should talk to the builder and figure out how the failure happened because obviously that shouldn't be happening.

New Topic Add Reply