It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:24

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Jan 2023, 23:37 • #1 
Master Guide
This may be a long shot, but can anyone compare the Barclay 68 Blue Ridge Special to the McFarland 3wt Spruce Creek? I’m looking at the 6’8” Spruce Creek but interested to hear feedback on the McFarland 3wt in any length, as there isn’t much information available about the Spruce Creek 3wt.

One major difference is the Barclay is 4 piece while the McFarland is 3 piece, which is not a deal breaker either way for me. Based on the descriptions on each company’s website, my (probably off base) impression is the McFarland is a more full flex profile while the Barclay may have a slightly faster tip, although I doubt anyone has ever described any Barclay rod as fast.

Post 08 Jan 2023, 09:18 • #2 
Master Guide
I have a Barclay 723 that's based on a Winston Stalker that Chris had. It's a very versatile, progressive rod. If it's a 3 weight, especially one Chris has/had, I would contact him directly. He has fished most 3 weights out there.

Post 09 Jan 2023, 20:17 • #3 
Master Guide
Interesting post, ok full disclosure Mike and I have been friends for possibly 17 years, and I have accumulated a few of his rods over that time line , but not a 3 weight, humm! In fact my only glass 3 wght is Larry Kenney’s very sweet 8’1”
I have Chris’s. 7’10” 5 (fantastic rod), honestly have not looked recently on his options but both craftsmen are among the best . Win/win in either purchase.

Post 13 Jan 2023, 18:51 • #4 
Guide
The best way for you to decide--get both, then pick the one you like best. I'll take the other one.
Seriously though, you can't go wrong with either one. Let us know which one you get, & post a review--I'm sure we'd all like to hear your thoughts!

Post 13 Jan 2023, 22:24 • #5 
Master Guide
Thanks for the advice! I talked to Mike McFarland today for a 20 minute master class in rod building. Mike said his 6’8” Spruce Creek is a progressive taper with spigot ferrules and a softer tip, designed to load and cast well with a short line, which is what I’m looking for. I rarely make casts over 25’ on the brookie streams I fish.

That said, I have a yellow McFarland 3wt blank on the way. My goal is to finish the rod before a trip to Asheville the first week of April. I’ll post pictures of the build.

Post 14 Jan 2023, 11:53 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Can't go wrong with either of these two.
Become a geek and get both!

Post 14 Jan 2023, 13:25 • #7 
Guide
Can't go wrong.
Every 3 wt. of Mike's I've cast through the years has been phenomenal.

New Topic Add Reply