It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:25

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Nov 2022, 11:11 • #1 
Sport
I just scored an Orvis Powerflex 8' listed on the rod as HBG (8). Haven't fished it yet, just lawn casted it. For me, fishing on the water is way different from lawn casting--seems to deepen the bend and increase the loading feel, which I like. I'm looking for a vintage 8 footer for 7 or even 8 weight lines to lay out hair bugs for smallmouth. (Not big largemouth bugs, but not trout sized muddlers, either. I use #10 hair bug stinger hooks, if you know what I mean.) I want a med-slow rod for this application.
Did Orvis market a (Phillipson) Fullflex in 8' 7 or 8 weight? And what are the actual Phillipson equivalents of these Orvis rods?

So what else should I be looking for? What do you like in a vintage 8' 7/8 wt rod?

Thanks for your input. Fish on!
Peter

Post 23 Nov 2022, 19:13 • #2 
Master Guide
Peter,
Yes, there is an Orvis 8 ft 8 wgt,
By Phillipson. A very slow rod to me with an 8 wgt line. I prefer a 7 line but, of course ymmv.
Another good choice would be a Fenwick FF-80.
Tim

Post 24 Nov 2022, 13:53 • #3 
Master Guide
Peter- I owned one of the 8' 8 wt. Fullflex Orvis rods long ago. I used it for bass with a Bass Bug taper line from Cortland, and it was fine. The tip broke and I was not knowledgeable enough at the time to fix it; I have since got another which I find I can use with a 6 wt. DT line also (!) for regular trout fishing. A very versatile rod, and Orvis used to talk about in in their catalogs as being a real all-'rounder. I believe both the Fullflex rods and your Powerflex rod were built on Phillipson blanks, so the one you scored is likely quite similar to the ones I have had. If I understand your post correctly. Bob

Post 24 Nov 2022, 21:44 • #4 
Sport
Powerflex vs. Fulllflex -- is the Powerflex a stronger rod than the Fullflex? Incidentally, I understand that most folks rate Orvis rods one line weight less than marked . . . as in my (8) wt Orvis might be more of a 7 than an 8. True?

Post 25 Nov 2022, 02:33 • #5 
Administrator
1streamcaster wrote:
Powerflex vs. Fulllflex -- is the Powerflex a stronger rod than the Fullflex?
No. The differences are more cosmetic. If you have a Powerflex 8' rod marked for a GBF(8) line and a Fullflex 8' for a GBF(8), they are probably built on the same blank. The Fullflex was given a walnut insert Orvis reelseat rather than a Phillipson solid aluminum seat. The Fullflex was probably silk wrapped instead of nylon and may have an additional guide. The Fullflex rod blank was likely straighter and had less of a spine than the Powerflex. But the basic rod action is the same. The nickel silver ferrules are the same.

As far as what the internet says about rod ratings - pay it no mind. The line rating marked on every fly rod is simply the opinion of the person that marked it. There are written standards for fly line weights (although those standards are only followed by a few companies anymore). There is a written standard for the dimensions of a fly reel foot. There is no standardized test to determine a rod's line rating. The rating marked on the side is probably a good guess, but please take it as a starting point, not gospel.

Try a couple of fly lines on your new rod and see what you like best. I suggest trying a DT7 and a WF8, if you have them. Try lighter and heavier lines (a friend with too many fly lines is an genuine asset). Find line(s) that fit you and your style of casting a fly rod. Every now and then, try a range of lines again. Don't be surprised if your opinion changes as you get used to a rod. In some situations you might go up a line weight, or down a line weight. For instance, if you want a slower action with hair bugs, use a heavier line. A good glass rod will handle the variances.

Tom

For information on the various Phillipson rod models, see the Phillipson catalog thread. For information on the various Orvis glass rod models, see the Orvis Wiki page.

Post 25 Nov 2022, 09:46 • #6 
Piscator
I've never considered Phillipson slow to medium, except for later Epoxite.
My Orvis Fullflex A was rated HDH 6-wt, but was really the medium 7-wt you're asking for - 6wt never quite loaded it, and 7wt loaded it perfectly.
Otherwise, i'd look at 8' Fenwick.

Post 25 Nov 2022, 21:33 • #7 
Master Guide
1streamcaster ,
Is your powerflex the one that was on eBay with the smudged label ?
Or the one that was on the FFr classifieds awhile back? (I missed out on that one)

The 8ft powerflex rods seem to be kinda rare ..

Powerflex rods and full flex rods are the same blank.

I used to think that the powerflex rods were late Eponite Blanks till I scored a few .
They are Scotchply

Powerflex rods have black wraps with a unique black no rock phillipson reel seat with double knurling on the cap.
Most black “no rock” seats do Not have the double knurled butt cap .

The Full Flex rods have brown wraps with the Orvis aluminum and walnut seat .

Orvis then brought out the Full Flex II in
72-74rods with black wraps and just a standard black phillipson reel seat .
To be a lower cost alternative to the fullflex rods

All the Orvis Rods feature Same number of guides and same placement

Orvis uprated their 8ft Phillipson based rods to 8wt
They did the same thing on the 7.6 ft rods rating them as 7wts while Phillipson rated their 7.6ft rods 6wts

The Phillipson equivalent NS ferruled rods
Master , Royal , Deluxe , Swamp Fox
Are all rated as 7wt’s

Phillipson rods Have 2 less guides than the Orvis rods

I think your Orvis powerflex
will do the job your asking .

Wait til you take that 10guided powerflex for a spin ??
You’ll know you got the right rod for smallmouth bugs .

Now if you want a Phillipson that’s more of a 6wt than a 7/8 wt rod look for the glass ferruled 8ft rods like
Royal wand , 3m master, 3m swamp Fox, Abercrombie featherweight ,ll bean double L featherweight , Orvis fullflex

Also the older 50s early 60s Phillipson standard glass rods were rated as 6wts .

Member crusty rusty just scored one of those .
Hopefully he will post up on his Stream Knight 8ft rod .

Hope this helps out
Looking forward to seeing you bust up some bronze backs on that Powerflex
Scotto

New Topic Add Reply