It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:59

New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Nov 2022, 19:21 • #1 
Master Guide
Picked this up with a bunch of other rods.
Older brown glass with almost no finish. Cool thing is that you can actually see where they wrapped the glass around the mandrel. Or at least that’s my guess. It’s also outfitted with truncated Super Z ferrules. 8’ I’m guessing 6 wt

Post 14 Nov 2022, 19:32 • #2 
Administrator
That might be a residual pattern of the compression tape that holds the fiberglass scrim on the mandrel. The tape shrinks in the curing oven, which compresses the fiberglass. The tape also leaves ridges that are often sanded off the blank after curing.

Super-Z ferrules have always been a top shelf rod component. For awhile NARMCO (Conolon) owned the Super-Z production and made some ferrules in a bronze alloy instead of nickel silver.

Can you post more photos?

Tom

Post 14 Nov 2022, 20:31 • #3 
Master Guide
Cool mystery blank.
Us Hardcore Heddonists call that style of blank with the tape marks a “Candy Cane” ;)

For Heddons they seem to be most prevalent in the late 50s Rods 56-59
I have a few “standard” pal #30s and power plus rods that are candy cane style
Don’t see it on the early pre56 Heddon rods .
Every so often I’ll see it faintly on some later fast tip and control flex rods 59-up

I had a few old Conolon rods that were lite candy cane style with the tape marks .
Can’t remember what model they were but they had blue reel seats with blue wraps .

I just love a good mystery rod !!
Scotto

Post 18 Nov 2022, 15:44 • #4 
Master Guide
I love that candy cane look.
Judging w look of the blank and the bronze Super Z ferrules I have a suspicion that it’s a Conolon

Post 19 Nov 2022, 19:23 • #5 
Guide
Very nice, good score!

Post 20 Nov 2022, 00:40 • #6 
Administrator
cheffy wrote:
Judging w look of the blank and the bronze Super Z ferrules I have a suspicion that it’s a Conolon

I think you have a rebuilt Conolon. From the factory, the Conolon Super-Z ferrules were never that dark. Someone gave yours a nice coat of dark lacquer. Conolon didn't use double lock ring reelseats and especially not uplocking double lock ring seats. The almost complete lack of finish on the wraps is a surprise. Perhaps the wraps were only treated with color preservative and the build was never finished?

Tom

Post 20 Nov 2022, 17:56 • #7 
Master Guide
Totally agree with your thoughts. The ferrules are home painted but look and fit good.
There is no finish on the blank.
It’s definitely a home build. The glue up on the reel seat is actually pretty bad and will be replaced soon. Looks like it was started but never finished.
This is Winter build #1

New Topic Add Reply