It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:15

New Topic Add Reply
McFarland 3wt Opinions
Post 23 Oct 2022, 13:25 • #1 
Master Guide
Has anyone fished a McFarland Spruce Creek or Ameriglass classic 3wt in 6’6” or 6’8” length? Wondering how the McFarland blanks compare to the Steffen or Lamiglas tapers. I’ll be using it mostly on southern Appalachian brook trout streams. Dry flies and casts under 30’ will be the norm.

Post 23 Oct 2022, 15:22 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
McF tapers are a dream.

Mike is a mad-scientist who really designs fantastic tapers - for a specific application. You want to bomb 60’ casts to reach rising fish across that tailwater? hes got that. want crazy feels for a 15’ cast (or less) to drill a dry fly under cover? hes got that, too. want an “all-rounder”? yep - hes got that. Pick your poison, or elixir, rather…

Post 23 Oct 2022, 16:28 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I built on an ameriglass 6'6" and it initially felt like a 4wt, but the more I cast it, the more I realized it was true to wt. It is a progressive rod that casts well on close, but still has power to punch it out to 50+ ft.

I sold it to a friend who does a lot more blue lining and he keeps raving about it . I prefer the 7'2" spruce creek. Which is my go to 3wt, but I can't say that I fish a 3wt very often.

Post 23 Oct 2022, 16:44 • #4 
Master Guide
Carlz, thanks for your review of the 663.

Corlay, I know what you mean - I like the GTX rods so much that I’m curious to try one of Mike’s other series now.

Post 24 Oct 2022, 11:09 • #5 
Guide
I have a Spruce Creek 6'6" 3 wt that I bought new in 2007. I've used it primarily on southern Appalachian brook trout streams. The taper is quite nice, quite accurate, able to be delicate, It delivers short casts and roll casts well. It retains good punch for driving the fly under overhanging brush. If you need a 6'6" rod this one would be an excellent choice. Mine doesn't see quite as much use these days; I like to use longer rods, 7' or 7'6" or so, on these streams unless a longer rod is just too tedious to use because of the tight brush.

Post 28 Oct 2022, 04:08 • #6 
Sport
Hiya

I've built a few rods on both the Spruce creek in 6'9 and 6'8" for a 3wt (7'2" too) and the Classic in 6'9" for a 3wt. They are all true 3wts. The Spruce Creeks are better for tight quarters stuff, the tip is insanely fast and you can flick flies pretty much anywhere up to around 30' with ease. They are immense fun especially if you do a lot of Bow and Arrow, curves, aerial mends, puddles, etc. surprisingly capable with nymphs and small streamers too.
The classic is smoother and more relaxed to cast with, it is a beautiful dryfly rod when you have room for a backcast. All 3 blanks are fantastic and you wouldn't regret any of them. I'd say the 6'8" Spruce is marginally Stiffer than the 6'9" in the butt and has a touch better control for the Off axis stuff, but as the spruce gets longer it gets more stable (the same taper is used from 6'8" to 7'2" I believe) and better for making longer casts with an open backcast.
If I was fishing open water, like the driftless or our UK chalk streams I would go for the Classic 6'9" or a Spruce Creek in 7'2"
I have preferred the Mcfarland's to the Steffen's in the Sub 7'2" sizes, the Steffens come into their own once you get over 7'3" and go for the 3/4 sizes which are proper 4wts.

Hope that Helps

Sandy

Post 29 Oct 2022, 10:48 • #7 
corlay wrote:
want crazy feels for a 15’ cast (or less) to drill a dry fly under cover? hes got that, too. want an “all-rounder”? yep - hes got that. Pick your poison, or elixir, rather…

That ^^^ is exactly what I want. Which McFarland is that?

New Topic Add Reply