It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:40

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Bass Bug Line
Post 26 Aug 2022, 20:17 • #26 
Guide
I have been fishing an S/A 7 wt Bass Bug taper and like it a lot...on glass and graphite rods. Light blue, casts and fishes well

Post 31 Aug 2022, 20:09 • #27 
Sport
bmbailes wrote:
I use the bass bug line on my glass 6,7, and 8wts. But I also have a few other 6wts that prefer the mpx taper. And normally I'm throwing hairbugs or craws.

Do you ever feel like your rods are over lined with the bass bug line? I usually don’t have a lot of line in the air, I’m mostly stripping the fly back to me and shooting it out with a false cast or two.

Post 31 Aug 2022, 22:49 • #28 
Master Guide
No they don't feel noodley or overpowered by the line. I have a few other 6wts that are different tapers and cast better with the mpx line or art line but those 6s are reserved for terrestrial fishing in the late season when a softer presentation is needed.

Post 01 Sep 2022, 05:47 • #29 
Sport
bmbailes wrote:
No they don't feel noodley or overpowered by the line. I have a few other 6wts that are different tapers and cast better with the mpx line or art line but those 6s are reserved for terrestrial fishing in the late season when a softer presentation is needed.

Thanks, this is a little off topic, but what leader setup are you using when fishing terrestrials?

Post 01 Sep 2022, 09:40 • #30 
Master Guide
depending on water clarity, the norm is 9 ft 3x leader....the last 2 feet i tie on fluoro for added stealth.

Post 01 Sep 2022, 10:54 • #31 
Sport
bmbailes wrote:
depending on water clarity, the norm is 9 ft 3x leader....the last 2 feet i tie on fluoro for added stealth.

Thanks, I figured it was pretty long. The last few times I’ve went out I have used a 10’ or longer leader and have been more successful than usual. I haven’t tried fluoro, but that’s a great tip.

Post 01 Sep 2022, 12:59 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
yes fluro sinks,not heavy to drag the fly under just vanishes,I use heavt fluro on my bass bug rods as it sinks and gives the popper slider etc more action on the strip.For smallies in streams i use a 5 or 6 wt with WF line and use whatever leader is stealthy but strong as there are alot of rocks.I guess this would be a similar set up for trout if we had them.Have caught a lot of smallies on big top water plugs over the years so dont shy away from big poppers and some surface commotion.By far the best bait of any kind i have used from creeks to rivers to Lake Michigan is half a senko on jig just heavy enough to lightly bounce the bottom and tick the bottom in current.I have no clue how to replicate this with a fly ,have tried various rabbit strips etc with little success.I do make a lead tape mylar tubing zonker with a bucktail wing instead of rabbit.The belly is on top of the hook so it rides point up and have done OK.It is my best fly if you can call it a fly for stocked brook trout and crappies.Since my access to creeks is very limited and shore fishing Lake Michigan in chicago is a little dicey these days i just dont fish for smallies very often these days.

Post 01 Sep 2022, 14:00 • #33 
Sport
[Please don't quote the entire text from the post just above. Tom]

Luckily most of the creeks I fish aren't that deep. I don't know if I would want to work that hard to get down that deep if they were lol. For what ever reason I just don't have as much fun if I am casting a heavily weighted fly.

Post 01 Sep 2022, 15:51 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
The zonker is not that heavy,i strip it to make it seem escaping injured and works well at times.You can fish it deep but i dont ,never fished deep water like Lake Michigan with a fly rod..As the saying goes they are either looking up or looking down.I only fish for largemouths on top as it is a weedy slimy mess below the surface where i fish.Smallies in the few creeks i do fish they feed down 90% of the time.

Post 02 Sep 2022, 11:16 • #35 
Sport
Maybe I should try the zonker on the spotted bass I fish for. They are very bottom oriented, I don't think I have ever caught one on top.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply