It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:44

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Jul 2022, 18:20 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Chris was nice enough to send one to try out.I asked about the Scout but he said I might like this one better.It is not progressive and looks like it is the same dia. all the way down.What a great design.I started on the Ponil and did not see a fish than went to the Costilla were they have been rising to something very small so I put on a 24 Adams and was able to fool one 12” cutbow and the rod was smooth as butter with a fish on and most casts were under 20’but the rod is capable of 40’casts with no problem but casting that far and setting the hook with such a short rod is hard for me can’t pick up that much line fast enough.The next place I tried was by the house and the water was a little dirty so I used a 14 stimulator and 14 bead head pheasant tail and caught 5 with the dropper 2 14” cut bows were the largest and one made 2 hard runs.The rod did everything great and bends into the handle.This is one very sweet capable rod that reminds me of the 6’6” golden eagle but a lot sweeter and slower.If anyone has this rod please let me know what you think of it............Aurelio

Post 19 Jul 2022, 23:11 • #2 
Master Guide
Nice review. Thanks for posting it!

Post 20 Jul 2022, 08:10 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Great for you Sir! I have the first production 6'2" 3 wt that Chris built - a very smooth rod indeed. I have only used it on Bluegills to date, but hope some Driftless trout are in its future. Lines I have used so far - older Orvis DT3 and the Cortland Sylk DT4, both work well.

Post 20 Jul 2022, 08:42 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I was using SA mastery series trout DT. 3 14” trout were no problem and loaded with a foot of line off the tip.I can see buying one of these in the very near future.I did get a little tip bounce when I pushed it but when I backed off a little it was great.This is a great time for glass just awesome rods being built today........Aurelio

Post 20 Jul 2022, 13:01 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
My max is bout 30' total w/leader - I'm sure you are a much better caster than I am. I have a lot of bad habits, but still manage to catch fish. I am going to try a level 3 wt. on it and fishing sub-surface (beadhead nymph and midge dropper). Going for delivery not finesse. As I remember in communications with Chris, he liked an over weighted 3 on it, but my old brain may not be firing on all cylinders.

Post 21 Jul 2022, 07:59 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I placed an order for one and can’t wait.........Aurelio

New Topic Add Reply