It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:03

New Topic Add Reply
Fiberglass and boron
Post 13 Jul 2022, 00:53 • #1 
Sport
Please excuse the ignorance but did any rod maker offer a fiberglass fly rod with a boron component?. Yes I know a good number of manufacturers offered graphite with boron - I have a Wynrod 866-2 (New Zealand) "Heritage Boron".

Re: Fiberglass and boron
Post 13 Jul 2022, 15:00 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
The Winston BL5 was rumoured to have a lot of glass in the tip and Boron in the butt of course.

Post 15 Jul 2022, 11:04 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I am surprised this thread has languished. I am no historian of Boron rods, but off the top of my head: the combination of e-glass and Boron was not successful. I can't tell you why, but I think it had to do with modulus incompatibilities. Rodon in New Jersey, and Fenwick both experimented and sold blanks made with glass and boron. The combination proved to be breakage-prone, and Fenwick eventually went to combining graphite with the boron. This proved successful, and Fenwick came out with their Boron-X blanks. Others, like Lamiglas, and Winston soon followed suit, and Winston still makes them with graphite to this day. Others know more than I do about it, and I am surprised no one has chimed-in.

Post 15 Jul 2022, 14:07 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I think that is a pretty good crack at it, archfly. That seems about right, with a bit more than I could remember. If I recall, and as you might expect, you can't just combine a very stiff material with a much more flexible material and get an average of the two, the more so when their elastic limits are different as well. The fibers just fight each other if used for the same purpose. In fishing rods, at least, if used in different directions, one or the other is more or less useless. Yes, there was way more attempted engineering to it than that, but I think that's what it boiled down to--a solution with out a problem, or a solution that made a problem more of a problem.

There. To the extent you or I are wrong, that's good, too and maybe we'll get some more specific answers.

Post 16 Jul 2022, 09:46 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
FWIW - I have a 9'0" 6wt Winston BIImx (graphite/boron) that I got on the cheap because it was discontinued.

I love it!!

Post 16 Jul 2022, 12:29 • #6 
Sport
Whrlpool, what about Blue Halo's Liger and *********'s YS? They are both, if I'm not mistaken, glass-graphite hybrids, and pretty decent rods. I kind of thought boron and graphite were pretty much the same...

Post 17 Jul 2022, 05:02 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I guess time will tell on those. Was just trying to give a general answer of the design challenges--and hoping somebody could clarify or correct with more specifics. Various graphite/'glass combinations have been used successfully, but I'm just not sure what problem they were solving,

Post 21 Jul 2022, 16:20 • #8 
Sport
Thanks giogio, archfly, whrlpool, Bamboozle and johoh_swede for your input. We did indeed scratch the surface regarding fiberglass and boron.

I have a suspect the person who has a wealth of knowledge, both technical and historical, on this subject is "The Glass Master" who seems to be no longer on this forum.

Cheers

Allan

Post 22 Jul 2022, 16:28 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
In the late 1980's boron fly rods I saw at fishing shows were very heavy, very fast (stiff) very thin and very expensive.

Post 22 Jul 2022, 16:41 • #10 
Master Guide
Larry Kenney, he might be able to shed some light on the boron glass combo, if it ever existed or experimented with.

Boron itself is very strong, but brittle, more so than Carbon Fiber, but lighter in weight.

I had a Pflueger spinning rod, late 70’s to early 80’s. I cannot remember if it was 100% boron, or boron graphite, I do remember it being very light, but rather stiff.

New Topic Add Reply