It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:05

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Nobody likes 4 wts?
Post 26 Sep 2023, 19:08 • #76 
Guide
Count me in as a lover of 4 weights. I have 4 of them and they are all superb, a Barclay 70p, a Scott G754/3, an L. Kenney 794 and a Scott G904. If pressed I could use these for all of my trout and light warm water fishing, but then I don't know what I'd do with the rest of the rods that I've collected. I use 4 weights more than any other size except for bass fishing.

Post 27 Sep 2023, 10:06 • #77 
Glass Fanatic
Retroglass wrote:
The turn of glass to carbon the 8'0'' 3/4 ,4/5 wt from the J. Kennedy Fisher Company . These are great rod configurations.
Made with a very low carbon content 33mm modulus pre perg was on a fiber glass scrim . Were glass was in the mid 20's
When the low modulus carbons were in nice casting lower weight rods a wonderful dry fly action. Fisher's Original carbons did this better than any in a 8'0'' configuration in my opinion . Sage LL series 4t. & the Powell 4 wt.
9'0 were 2 others the stood out as well carbon Scott g seriesin the shorter sizes . Great Golden Age Fly Rods in the transformation glass to carbon fiber

The Steffen Brothers made some very nice 34 million modulus carbon 4wt rods in the 90s. Ive only seen one,my 7'6 3/4 wt. I don't know how they it compare to the Fisher rods.

Last edited by frogmorton on 27 Sep 2023, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 Sep 2023, 10:26 • #78 
Glass Fanatic
I like 4wt's for dry fly fishing, in a 7'3"-7'9" length range.
Longer, I'm probably using a 5wt.
Shorter, a #3...

I never use #3's and #4's for anything but dry flies....

Post 27 Sep 2023, 10:29 • #79 
Guide
Four weight fiberglass pretty much rules the day on my medium and small eastern PA freestone and limestone streams. I’m fortunate to have great McFarland, **********, CTS and even inexpensive Haldin rods at my disposal.

I’ve been fortunate with my selection of four weight blanks, only one had to be turned into a tomato stake.

Jeff

Post 27 Sep 2023, 12:41 • #80 
Guide
Fenwick FF 804-2 J Classic Glass

8’ 4wt 2 piece.

Very nice fish able rod.

I was able to pick up a new one with original Japanese tags in the US in 2022 for around what I would pay for the common Fenwicks.

The ones listed as from Japan seem a little overpriced to me.

Post 28 Sep 2023, 12:36 • #81 
I love 4 weights! I have the 25th Anniversary Scott G 904 2 piece, the GS 884, and a Scott Centric 904....but for glass I have an assortment of Chris Barclays and let me tell you, they are just plain fun and awesome fishing tools:

C. Barclay Synthesis 644
C. Barclay Synthesis 72
C. Barclay Syntheiss 82
C.Barclay Parabolic 804

Glad to see Chris is back taking orders!

Post 29 Sep 2023, 04:52 • #82 
Glass Fanatic
motosacto wrote:
Interesting couple of threads regarding 4 weight rods and (lack of) love. I thought this topic might merit its own thread.

I DO like my black glass 4 wt Scott. With it, I can do fairly delicate work and also handle decent-sized dry dropper rigs. I used it to catch all of the California Heritage Trout species back in 2020. On the other hand, I just did not bond with my Hardy Test glass rod - I was constantly throwing tailing loops with it.

I kind of feel like many 4 weights might fall into a gap - not quite substantial enough for big waters, but not really delicate like lighter creek rods. On the other hand, maybe a good one can do both?

Thoughts?

The first thought is that you are the one throwing the tailing loop. You haven't adapted your stroke to rod/line combination you are casting. Not saying you have to necessarily make the effort since you can pick an outfit that fits your stroke but it is an option. The more I play with my rods, the more I realise that whenever there's something I can't get along with in a rod - it's me that's at fault.

Re 4 weights and where they fall I have a story to tell about yesterday's fishing. It's end of season in the Ardennes, lowish water and not many trout after a warm summer. Took the 8' 4wt CTS that I built as I thought it would suit the conditions. It's a medium action 4wt. The day didn't start all that well and all I managed for the first hour were chub to three inches max. Then I noticed a deep hole with three very large barbel hugging the bottom. Given the slowness of the day I thought l might give them a shot - just for giggles. Tied a worm fly on the 6X tippet and focussed on sending it straight into the fish's mouth as they won't normally move much to eat (unlike trout barbel don't spook so you can get pretty close and this isn't as hard as it might seem). Hooked up and brought fish to hand in less than three minutes - 23"...didn't expect that to go that way but it did. About an hour later after a bunch more micro chubb I finally caught a 7" brown and that looked like it would be it. So I walked back down river to where the path turns up the hill to where the car was parked. Since the evening was warm and calm I decided to close the day by prospecting the tails of a series of pools just above the slower water that feeds into a large reservoir/lake above a dam in the river. Amazingly, in less than 12" of water I got a grab from a fat silvery, black spotted 12 inch brown that looked like it was headed upstream from the lake to spawn. It had nowhere to go but up in the air and it was a spirited but short fight before I had it in hand. The "last cast" literally changed the nature of the entire day. Back to the 4WT - it was a nice toy to play with, fast enough to strike the micro chub and limber enough to tame the 23" barbel.

Post 04 Oct 2023, 19:55 • #83 
Sport
Lots of 4 weights here. 1 cane, 1 graphite and 1 glass.

Last edited by Gasman on 06 Oct 2023, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Oct 2023, 23:42 • #84 
Master Guide
4 wts. I've liked - all great casters:

8' Diamondglass
8'6" Diamondglass
8'8" L. Kenney

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 New Topic Add Reply