It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:00

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Jun 2022, 15:57 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Besides their superior performance, one of the great things about the original Steffen rods was how consistent they were. For the many years that Mark and his brother produced their rods, you could be assured that actions and line ratings were spot on from rod to rod. I'm curious if the rods now being produced by Graywolf are exactly the same as the originals. Presumably, the "recipe" was passed along during the transition, but you never know, maybe the magic was harder to achieve. But maybe not! Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the new with the old? Just curious!

Post 28 Jun 2022, 09:01 • #2 
Guide
Interesting question. Unfortunately I never got to try an original rolled by Mark. But I have built one on a blank rolled by Shane. It's an 8' 3/4. All I can say is that I love it.

Practically, one thing that really stands out to me is the lightness of it. Compared to my other 4 wt rods of shorter length, the same reel balances the Steffens nicely while are to light on my shorter 4 wts. I came back from a weekend of fishing dries with my Steffens, and then lawn casted my other 4wt rods, and I could immediately notice the difference. The Steffens is lighter, more responsive, and just more of a pleasure to cast.

Of course, this doesn't answer the specific question about how they compare to the original. All I can say is, I like the blank I got from Shane.

Joel

Post 28 Jun 2022, 09:42 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Tiptop, there is no difference in the fiberglass blanks... the NOS Steffen made blanks Vs. the blanks we are producing now are identical. Same glass prepeg, same 40 yr old mandrels, same oven, same pattern cuts, same reinforcement measurements, all the same.

Post 28 Jun 2022, 11:16 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the input Shane! The 8' 5/6 and 8' 4/5 have been my favorite glass rods for years and if I ever break or lose one it's good to know I can get a replacement.

Post 28 Jun 2022, 13:22 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
You are Welcome! No problem at all. Have plenty of sections here.

Post 28 Jun 2022, 22:58 • #6 
Master Guide
Thanks pretty cool Shane! I wish you continued success.
Tiptop, might be worth considering getting some back-ups. Dunno, maybe I am just a hoarder as I have backups of stuff I really like. And in some cases I have backups for the backups :).

Post 19 Jul 2022, 17:42 • #7 
Sport
That last response sounds like the summation of my problem . Backups for my backups...

New Topic Add Reply