It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:58

New Topic Add Reply
A tale of two steffens
Post 27 Jun 2022, 12:18 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I have a couple of guests and they each have a 7’6” 3/4 two piece that they have been using.I got out my 5 pc. Out of curiosity I held the butts in my hand and tips on the floor and noticed my 5pc sagged more in the middle.I thought being a 5 pc. It would be more stiff.........Aurelio

Post 27 Jun 2022, 12:26 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
It might be but it's also heavier.

Post 27 Jun 2022, 12:58 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
And thicker at the butt section to keep up the strength

Post 01 Jul 2022, 12:35 • #4 
Sport
Are the blanks difficult depending on the number of pieces? I’ve been contemplating getting in touch with the builders to put together a “grouse rod” that would fit in the back pouch of my bird hunting vest and just assumed that the blanks were the same and just were ferrules to suit. Maybe (probably) I was wrong?
Paul

Post 01 Jul 2022, 12:51 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
They are usually the same blank. I suspect the extra bend is due to more weight toward the tip. If the blanks were made by different builders, it could also be due to the number of guides and/or different guide spacing.

Post 01 Jul 2022, 13:08 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
You won't get a reliable flex profile by bending against a floor anyhow. Just the slightest variation in angle or contact will alter the comparison. Good enough for a rough idea, but to see the flex reliably, the rods need to be have line run through the guides, equal weight attached and suspended from each, each rod secured at the same angle. Flat will work for starters, but to see the way the rods responds to a load constant, increase the upward angle a few degrees at a time, keeping the fixed position at identical length from the tip (regardless of the grip fitted) throughout the sequence.

Post 02 Jul 2022, 21:56 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Crusty I guess it was the extra weight I should have put a line on them to see how much difference in casting if any.whirlpool thanks for the tech. Info........Aurelio

New Topic Add Reply