It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:59

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Jun 2022, 19:04 • #1 
Sport
Hi All,

I'm considering a newer 6wt build for larger river, and sight fishing trout , to replace/compliment a med-fast graphite 9' 6wt.

I would appreciate any help in identifying a good blank.
I have bought quite a few CTS blanks, interested CTS 8.6 #5 Standard versus Turbo Taper, or other blank recommendation.

The casting would be from in close to 40-50' mainly with dry, and dry dropper set ups. Probably in places where the wind might occasionally pick up.

Just curious to see if the Turbo would be too much rod, and any other reco's.

I'm not sure if I want to go shorter than 8'6" length

Gerard

Post 03 Jun 2022, 22:54 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I don't know much about the CTS rods, but a search will yield some helpful results on other 8.5' 5-weights. The McFarland GTX and the ********* Western Glass are the first two that come to mind.

Post 04 Jun 2022, 05:06 • #3 
Master Guide
I’ve built and fished the standard CTS Quartz 865-4 and 866-4, both are very smooth casting sticks, as well as having a light swing weight for their length. I have no experience with the Turbo taper.
As mentioned above, the ********* Western Glass are excellent rods also, as well as McFarland’s GTX and the Ameriglass. I’ve built and fished all of these. The GTX is on the stiff side in my opinion, but still casts well. Ameriglass would be the softest of the bunch. The CTS and ********* offerings are close in what I would describe as the smoothest long glass on the market, they are not slow or fast tapers, somewhere in between.

Post 04 Jun 2022, 07:04 • #4 
Sport
Can't see that CTS have a 8'6" 5wt. Am I missing something, or do you have to custom order the blank?

Post 04 Jun 2022, 14:07 • #5 
Master Guide
Their website is horrible as far as products they offer. A 865-4 is standard blank.

They don’t show a lot of the blank configurations they offer on their site, best bet is to email them.

Post 05 Jun 2022, 02:13 • #6 
Sport
Thanks Jude, good to know.

Post 07 Jun 2022, 10:46 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Years ago I ordered a custom CTS 8'6" 5WT with +2 butt and -1 Tip. That means the taper is much faster and I am presuming it's close to the "Turbo Taper". I also have some regular CTS tapers so I can make a pretty good comparison.

The faster taper is super efficient for fish fighting (easily subdued some very large barbel 25"+) and the tip action is better for nymphing. If the tip is finer - as in my custom rod - it's absolutely possible to underline and fish a light line. The pluses are greater delicacy and accuracy together with great fish fighting. It's very close to the original Scott G series 8'6" four weight in action but of course somewhat heavier in hand. "Swing weight" isn't higher than standard rod because the beef is in the butt.

The downside - I'm not sure there is any but the standard taper is super smooth and closer to typical glass. It feels like a more or less straight medium taper.

This is an amazing fishing rod that can be fished with a 4 wt or a 6 wt making it super versatile - and no it's not too much rod. For pure casting feel and pleasure I'll take a Kenney or Paddock but for maximum efficiency and versatility this is unbeatable.

Post 07 Jun 2022, 21:52 • #8 
Sport
Appreciate the all comments. Very interesting.

I since reached out to CTS, and asked about the suitability for either option for fishing larger NZ rivers, e.g. dry flies and nymph under indicator, and casting - from in close to 50'. Is the 8'6" glass suitable, and which of the Standard Taper or Turbo Taper should I go for? lastly, does CTS make a longer variant such as 9' in the 6wt glass?

The answer was really positive, and in line with comments such as from Lanny.
... our designer has suggested the turbo taper version would be good. This has a slightly softer tip and a bit more power in the bottom than the standard quartz. We have a design for the 8'6" #6 both standard and turbo taper, and we could also do 9'0" #6. We already have the standard design in that model but could also do a turbo taper with no design charges.

Looks like I have another project build coming...

Post 29 Jun 2022, 04:34 • #9 
Sport
I have both the 8'6" Turbo taper 5 wt which is a 5/6 for me . and the 8'5wt regular taper. I really like the turbo version when wadeing. When out of my kayak, i swap out the bottom section for a lighter, more flexable Fenwick 765 section , for an 8'3" more bendy action. the more flexible butt combined with the super snappy upper makes an unbeatable clouser launcher at short distances, and i enjoy the ensuing fight much more than with the supplied stiffer butt. Frankenstuff I guess , but it works for me. Nice that the Fenwick butt color also matches the CTS golden tea color of the rod I ordered and built. Cheers, dave dog.

Post 29 Jun 2022, 08:10 • #10 
Sport
Thanks Davedog,

For ‘wade’ fishing, which is what I’m doing, how does the faster ‘turbo taper ‘ 5 or 6wt compare to your standard equivalent weight?
Do you enjoy either more?

And do you have or tried the ‘turbo taper’ in the six weight?

Post 29 Jun 2022, 10:13 • #11 
Sport
I have the standard CTS 6wt. It's a versatile rod. I built the rod for streamer work and windy days but had a nice day with it in a float tube fishing wild browns with dries. For what you're describing I'd go with a TT 8'6" 5wt or a standard 6wt, or even a standard 8'6" 5wt. A TT 6wt, to me, sounds too aggressive. Personally I'm fantasizing about a 8'6" 4wt CTS.

Love to know what you end up with!

Post 29 Jun 2022, 15:40 • #12 
Sport
If I were ordering one , right now, after having both the 8' 4wt turbo taper , and the 8'6" 5 wt turbo taper, Id get the 8' 6" turbo Taber with a minus 1 power butt section. With the supplied fairly stiff butt, it fishes much more like a 6 wt, which is fine for bass, but for me, not as much for trout. Very subjective , I know, but with both TT rods, I have swapped out the butt sections to a more bendy piece which has mede them stellar for me. my 2 cents. the top 3/4 turbo really fires out dead straight casts, very little if any ocillation, and is super smooth. If you were to go to a six wt, I'd stay with their standard 8' 6" version. (for NZ wadeing conditions) good luck. Their golden tea is my favorite color .

Post 29 Jun 2022, 17:36 • #13 
Sport
thanks davedog & johoh_swede,

Really good insights here on CTS. I will ask about a reduced butt weight option.

I have been in contact with the guys at CTS, ********* and McFarlane - all terrific responses.
And I'll end up buying some blanks from each (see how quickly it can become paralysis by analysis...)

I know how much it is a pain in the a#$@ it is to travel nowadays so also will stick with four piece

New Topic Add Reply