It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:50

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 May 2022, 08:39 • #1 
Guide
First I want to say I certainly prefer American made blanks when I can afford them. However, most are over $100 with some more like $200-$300. I know that NFC offers iconoglass for 75$ right now with their sale. However, I find those blanks are simply too fast to really give a classic glass feel.

That brings us to no name brand, non US made blanks. Does anyone have a supplier or brand they prefer? I'd love to find something maybe 20-$40 per blank, slower action, in 7.5 foot 4wt.

Thanks all!!

Post 18 May 2022, 09:07 • #2 
Master Guide
You could buy, strip and rewrap a CGR. I believe there is a 4/5wt 7'?

Some of the proof flyfishing blanks are nearly that cheap.

I have seen several members express happiness with rods built from moonlit lunar blanks.

Im sure someone who knows the ebay blanks better will chime in.

Post 18 May 2022, 09:52 • #3 
Guide
I like the Ye Olde English Fly Shop blanks for slower stuff, some of them are stupid slow. Get 'em on ebay.

Post 18 May 2022, 16:23 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I've heard good things about the Aventik blanks, no direct experience though..

The Proof blanks would be my inclination though, keep Matt in business ;-)

Post 18 May 2022, 16:31 • #5 
Guide
I do have a 6'7" 3-weight built on an Aventik blank, which seems to be of decent quality, however, the Aventik blanks seem unavailable right now. Get Bent is offering a 7'6" 4-weight blank for a bit under $40. But if you want a quality American made blank, perhaps you could find something like a Fenwick 755, Cortland, Berkley, Heddon, etc. that is in not the best shape and repurpose the blank.

Post 18 May 2022, 16:34 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I think if you don't like faster tapers you may not like the Moonlit blanks, though I have a 2wt (four piece layout is handy when hiking through brush), which I generally use with a 3wt line.

I have one of those Aventik 4wt's (completed rod) and despite the length being a little unusual it is pretty much true to weight. Not sure I would describe it as slow, but it's not as fast as my Superfine Glass 4wt. It's inexpensive, so I use it on my packraft; that way I won't have lost much if an accident occurs and the rod ends up at the bottom of the lake :)

Post 18 May 2022, 23:20 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Check out rodbuilderswarehouse.com. They are currently selling Diamondback Meeker glass blanks for $44.39. I would also agree that the Olde English Fly Shop blanks are really nice for the money. I had a rod built on one of their 2 weight blanks that worked quite well with an Orvis or Barrio WF1 line.

Larry

Post 19 May 2022, 06:05 • #8 
Sport
Too bad Batson don't sell e-glass fly rod blanks..

Post 19 May 2022, 08:37 • #9 
Administrator
Quite a few builders have fashioned short fly rods from Batson light spinning blanks. Run a forum search for the word tadpole to find more information.

Tom

Post 19 May 2022, 17:19 • #10 
Guide
Extremely pleased with Proofs fiberglass blanks , Matt is very accommodating and just a pleasure to deal with , even though not quite sub-$50 , might be worth some consideration with his options …

Post 19 May 2022, 19:09 • #11 
Master Guide
Agree with Matt’s Proofs fiberglass blanks.
Inexpensive yet dandy rods.
I’ve made 4 so far as gifts.

Went fishing with a friend (who I gave one to a while back) and he handed it to me and in hand it was even better than I remembered it being. Dandy little rod for sure.

This is a clear blank and you can see the orange stent I used and the blue painter’s tape thru the blank.

Post 20 May 2022, 21:45 • #12 
Master Guide
I just had an Aventik 6'3" 1/2wt fiberglass delivered yesterday after buying it on Amazon earlier in the week for less than $50, so it fits you criteria until they change the pricing algorithm or whatever they do to bounce the prices around.

I was out casting on the lawn today with a cheap Maxcast 2wt DT line and reel that I use for a CGR 2wt. I like this rod compared to the CGR, which to me is too noodly. I had a bit of a headwind and I was able to do pretty well with it. Looking forward to hitting the brook I have been having a blast with 7-9" brookies.

The reel seat, while secure, is a miss on this rod - they should have saved this seat for the higher weight offerings. That is my only complaint - packs down tiny, as it is a 4pc. and it is a very pleasant casting rod.

I am waiting for the 4wt to arrive from China as the company is offering them directly from their website. I have the 5wt and I hear a lot of good things (from searching this forum) so wanted to get the 4wt when the little one showed up on Amazon and I had a moment of weakness.

Post 22 May 2022, 17:53 • #13 
Sport
I'd also recommend Proof's blanks. I've built a few of them as gifts and thought they were always worth the cost.

I've also built a couple of Tadpoles on Rainshadow's SPG 720 and 780 blanks. Really fun projects at bargain basement prices for well finished blanks with a great feel. In fact, I chose to build on a few 780 one piece blanks when I felt I was ready to experiment with spigoting for the first time. As mentioned previously, a lot of good info here but I found this article when I was considering them abd might be a good place to start if you're interested in pulling the tadpole thread:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... /rc457.php

Getbitoutdoors.com has them available for under $30.

Post 15 Jun 2022, 15:58 • #14 
Sport
Does anyone have experience with the cheap no-name blanks from curlov-5 on e-bay?

[Note: Please do not re-post photos from eBay. If it isn't your photo, posting it without the owner's permission is a copyright violation. Tom]

Last edited by jgestar on 15 Jun 2022, 16:49, edited 3 times in total.
Removed photo

Post 15 Jun 2022, 16:47 • #15 
Administrator
This thread is turning into a long list of soon to be dead links. That doesn't help the forum maintain its online reputation. The more dead links in our database, the lower we go with our Google/Bing/search engine reputation.

There are several mentions and links to eBay sellers in this thread (er, the links are now gone). Unless there is a very compelling reason, please only link to existing business websites, not eBay auctions. While some companies run their operation only through eBay, they can't be relied on to exist for more than a couple of buying cycles online. In a couple months, those eBay links are long dead and useless.

If you have had good luck with an eBay product, yes, you can mention them in a thread like this. Note, I didn't delete the seller names/companies above. But anyone that buys on eBay can search eBay. Future forum members can find sellers without a direct link (if the sellers still exist).

Tom

Post 16 Jun 2022, 06:30 • #16 
Guide
There were a couple posts on a Florida forum from a guy who built on the NFC all purpose glass medium light blank. Positive comments, but more than the 30 from the rain shadow blanks. Probably will try one as a 1 piece spin/fly blank for the Misses

Post 16 Jun 2022, 10:52 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
"Probably will try one." Thanks for the key words. As jgestar mentioned, we don't need to be an internet shopping list. Those sources are there for all to look at.

Try one. These blanks--and some assembled rods--cost less than a one or two day fishing trip. Take your pick and try one. You might never get a great rod, but you will rarely get a bad one, and you will always get one that will be of some use to someone, even if you give it away. One or another might surprise you. As when someone asks how the fishing is at such and such a place, "There is only one way to find out."

Build it, fish it, and if you think it's worth telling others about, that will make a great post or series of posts.

Post 19 Jun 2022, 13:55 • #18 
Master Guide
Pretty simple to me, seems like a good discussion of the cheaper blanks. All things considered, these blanks can be made into nice rods. A good value to someone that doesn't want to spend several hundred dollars to fish a glass fly rod.

Post 05 Aug 2022, 23:43 • #19 
Sport
Are the Proof blanks a little faster action than most glass rods ? I thought I read that somewhere, but might be wrong. I was looking at their 8ft 5 wt. and wondered how it might carry a 6 weight line. Also curious as to how the 8ft 3/4 wt. felt, for those that have some experience with this rod (blank).
Thanks for your input.

Post 06 Aug 2022, 18:22 • #20 
Master Guide
This might help.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72965&hilit=proof+meadow#p401931

I have the Proof Meadow 8' 3/4wt that I built and I agree with the above post about its action.

Post 03 Dec 2022, 14:13 • #21 
Guide
I know I’ve grumbled about them before, but how about Eagle Claw? They’re readily available, and cheap. Some forum members here love them. They may not be the best, but they are serviceable fly rods.

Edit:
Also, I think Pure offers a pflueger labeled 8' 5/6 3-piece kit, with cork handle. They’re available for $40-$50. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe they’re fiberglass.

Post 25 Feb 2023, 21:10 • #22 
Master Guide
+1 on Yea Old English they have glass blanks some are good and some are gutless. i think the 4wt was a good blank but i wanted it to have more power in the lower section. I still own the 6'6" 3wt for the $ its well worth it and fun to cast.

Post 05 Mar 2023, 08:21 • #23 
Master Guide
Try out the Eagle Claw Crafted Glass if you want a nice glass rod that is ready to fish. I’ve got the 7’6 3wt that likes a DT 4 and is a blast to cast. Liked this one so much I went and got the 8’6 5wt that likes a 6 or 7 wt DT. I personally don’t think there is a better bargain glass rod on the market. Perfect for somebody who wants to try a glass fly rod but not commit a lot of money.

Post 19 Mar 2023, 22:46 • #24 
Sport
I know I'm late to the party on a resurrected thread but I would like to offer my opinion that might contradict a prior post on the general action of Moonlit rods for future readers. The 8'2" 6 wt. is a little faster than many glass rods but the 8' 5 wt. is much softer, slower and more full flexing. I feel the two blanks are very different in nature so an individual might easily like one blank but not the other.

Post 21 Mar 2023, 09:41 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
A touch above your $50, but still under $100 ($71), I recently grabbed a Maxcatch 8wt glass as a backup, leave in the car, kick around 8wt. I've only cast a number of lines on grass thus far but it's a super solid 8wt with loads of power. Not too heavy in hand and on the faster side of glass with excellent recovery speed (especially considering the price point). I haven't played with anything else in the lineup (and likely never will), but this seems to be a solid choice in that lower price point if you're unable to support the smaller builders (always preferable for me).

Cheers!

New Topic Add Reply