It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:55

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Superfine Glass
Post 08 Jul 2022, 20:58 • #101 
Guide
Who doesn't like 4 weights?

Post 09 Jul 2022, 08:41 • #102 
I was referencing how the Scott glass 4wts seem to be recieved and reviewed. Not necessarily here, but elsewhere. Telluride Angler has great reviews on rods but they never really like the 4wts. I’ve been tempted but never tried any Scott glass over 3wt.

There is a similar thread here right now about the 5wt F2. Someone mentioned that even the manufacturer themselves seems to diss the rod.

Post 09 Jul 2022, 09:07 • #103 
Glass Fanatic
There were many incarnations of Scott glass. The original yellow glass and the brown glass 4wts that directly followed that were built by Wilson and Kenney were superb. Some but not all of the later models were not endearing. You need to evaluate each model on it’s own merits. I’ve forgotten which specific ones weren’t so great but the original 4wt models from the mid 70’s and into the 80’s are hard to beat.

Post 09 Jul 2022, 10:03 • #104 
Thanks Crusty, I was referring to the last 3 glass series, the black F, F2, and the latest F. Those older yellow and brown classics rarely ever come up for sale.

Post 09 Jul 2022, 10:23 • #105 
Guide
Dark Waters wrote:
I was referencing how the Scott glass 4wts seem to be recieved and reviewed.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought you meant that nobody likes any glass 4wt.

Post 10 Jul 2022, 14:37 • #106 
I would never make such a blanket statement. (Intentionally, long day week) Thanks for the opportunity to clarify.

I’m more the open minded splitter of hairs, observe all the pros/cons and nuances sorta guy.

- Back on topic. I popped into an Orvis store just now and gave the 376 and 580 a wiggle. They feel like 4 & 6 to me too. Didnt cast them.

Note that the 580 has a smaller snub nose full wells like many of the graphites shown. This is also incorrect on their website last time I checked.

Post 07 Oct 2022, 18:01 • #107 
Sport
Dark Waters wrote:
El Duderino,

I fished the 8wt with the Rio Pike/Musky WF8F line this evening. I used some really big chunky flies, I noticed that when I fished this line around 30 feet away or more, it was good, the rod was accurate and handled it well. Inside of 30 I had some not so great casts. Either I didn't have enough line out, the big fly was getting wet, or the story the lady told me at the ramp about a guy having his catalytic converter stolen there last week had me distracted. Maybe all 3?

I'm new to these types of lines. Keep in mind the whole head is only 30 ft long and it weighs 300 grains. Appropriate for the big flies I want to use on it, it would have been fine closer with a normal sized deer hair fly.

Hard to say what normal line I would prefer on it, the SA WF8F pike line I've been mentioning feels on the light side to me. It also casts well on a Winston B2X 9' 8wt that I always underlined and never even tried an 8wt on. I always used the Triangle Taper as a reference line on trout rods in the past, guess I just got caught up in the bass bug throwing idea. Should have started there first.

I saw an article where someone took the new 8WT fishing for redfish (can't find it now) and sure seemed to like it.

Found it, just scroll down a little:

https://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot ... r-cfo.html

I've never fished for reds but I've done my fair share of striped bass fishing and I probably have an intermediate 8 or 9 that would work well on it. Here in the northeast I would fish hours and hours blind casting in the dark for stripers. I think this would work very well. Certainly would be easier on me than certain lighting fast torture devices.

Rod Weights

I weighed the 3 rods.

866-3 3.49 ounces
866-4 4.37 ounces
888-4 5.33 ounces

I suspect most of the weight difference is in the new full barrel reel seat which are very nice quality. The skeleton seats on the 3 piece rods weigh very little. The heavier the seat the lighter the reel and vice versa to get you to a happy balance.

I've never seen or handled the 3 piece 8wt. The 888-4 is noticeably more tip heavy than the 4 piece 6wt in hand. I have Lamson Remix reels on each, on the 6wt I have a size 2 (5+) on the 8wt I have a 3.5 (7+) The 6wt feels well balanced, the 8wt could use a little more weight but its close enough for me and these are generally light reels.

I weighed the butt and tip sections. Note the 8wt has significantly larger metal stripping guides.

866-4 Butt section: 2.85 ounces, 3 tip sections: 1.51 ounces
888-4 Butt section: 3.175 ounces, 3 tip sections: 2.15 ounces

I liked fishing the 866-4 best. I did have an appropriate 7wt fly on with the TT7wt line, it was really sweet. Not taking anything away from the 8wt, because I was chucking big stuff with it.

Hey @Darkwaters, have you cast the 888 - I have one on order but they are very slow to ship from the States.

I wondered if you had some comments on that model if you have cast or fished it.

Post 04 Nov 2022, 19:43 • #108 
I’m a bit late Bill_M, did you get your 8wt? Curious to see what you think of it. I’ve not gotten to use mine as much as I would like.

What I’ve said before still stands. Someone also pm’d me awhile ago asking about the rods and here was my reply. Have to “read between the lines” as per what questions i’m answering:

I don’t think its anything like a graphite rod in physical weight, swing weight, or crispness. I don’t like it wiith any near true 8 weight line I have tried. To me its a 9 wt or more. When it throws a heavy line it loads deep and feels like a powerful glass rod.

I have not fished this line on it yet, but i have a Rio big nasty wf10f that i have lawn cast with it. At the end of the forward cast with a hard stop, it turns over the straight mono leader so hard it snaps like a whip.

Comparing the 4pc 6 to 3pc, the new 4pc is smoother, more refined. Does not feel lighter, maybe heavier, but very lively with flex everywhere. I can’t compare the 8’s but the new 6 & 8 rods feel very similar with the 8 having more power in the butt section.

With the rated lines, 6 & 8, they both feel clunky and underlined to me. Curious to know what lines Orvis markets for them.

DW

Post 08 Nov 2022, 06:53 • #109 
Guide
Wow, there’s a lot of replies on SF glass. So I’ll add a couple of my cents: I want one or two. Maybe 3 or 4.

Post 02 Dec 2022, 16:36 • #110 
Sport
No, still waiting on them to ship to Australia. I'll probably run a few #8-9 lines through it and report back.

I'm not expecting it to be line sensitive but I feel like a longer (45+) progressive taper will work well with heavier glass rods. I'll try the SA Amplitude Infinity Smooth and the RIO Elite Flats first. It will be mostly used for fishing #1-#1/0 shrimps for golden trevally

Post 02 Feb 2023, 21:55 • #111 
Guide
I was on an online chat with an Orvis rep a couple days ago and told them that the photo for the 6wt still showed the wrong seat and handle based on what I read here. They confirmed it was like the 8wt and would look into it - I saw on their website tonight that they finally changed it to show the correct one.

Post 12 Feb 2023, 14:50 • #112 
Sport
Not sure what the backlog is with Orvis, but still waiting on a 888 here - been ordered for well over 6 months now!

Post 02 Apr 2023, 19:57 • #113 
Guide
Anybody fishing the new 8ft 5wt 4 piece? Curious to hear some input on that rod.

Post 11 Mar 2024, 11:05 • #114 
I have been looking into these rods for a while now and was looking for someone's opinion on the 4wt vs the 5wt. I am typically catching trout in the 12 to 15 inch range with he occasional larger fish thrown in. Will the 4wt be able to handle these fish or should I go with the 5? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Post 11 Mar 2024, 11:25 • #115 
Glass Fanatic
The 4wt will handle those fish readily. I would make the choice based more on the flies you intend to use. The 4wt will handle any dry flies, small wets and nymphs and very small streamers. The 5wt can do the same but can handle bigger streamers and heavier flies. It can also handle more wind resistant dry flies. It would also handle the wind better.

Post 21 Mar 2024, 08:48 • #116 
Thanks for the reply! I actually just bought a 3 weight from a member in the for sale section. It is in the mail now. Can't wait to test it out. I know it won't be as capable as a 4 or 5 but I have some smaller streams near me I think it will perform well on. hoping it is a little more delicate with dries than the graphite rod I've been using

Post 22 Mar 2024, 09:31 • #117 
Guide
That’ll be a sweet rod, you’re gonna love it! And you might just find it’s more capable than its size lets on. Have a ball and post some reports of your adventures.

Post 27 Mar 2024, 18:20 • #118 
Sport
HI all,

Finally got my Orvis Superfine 888 and fished it, no fish pics sadly - it was one of those days - tide looked great but the fish disagreed.

Some thoughts on the SF888 - it is heavy but possibly lighter than the older version, I can't be sure.

I ran an Abel Super 8 on it which balanced it up very nicely. I threw an older Airflo Tropical Clear Tip Floater in WF8F on it. This line is about .75 grains higher than AFTMA for an #8 line (almost a line up) and has a 50' head.

The SF cast that line very nicely up to about 60'-70' when I began to find the the wind, rod length, and wading depth (about my knee-to-thigh) began to impact on my cast. It tracks and recovers very well for a glass rod and throws accurately.

I was fishing a 1/0 weighted shrimp which barely felt like it was there, which is pretty normal for heavy glass rods.

I think it will be excellent out of a boat for shortish casts inside rivers and around mangroves.

More when I actually catch something on it.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 New Topic Add Reply