It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:03

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Superfine Glass
Post 10 Feb 2022, 10:41 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
As a huge fan of the defunct Winston DL4 series I certainly have no aversion to 4 piece rods. However, other than bamboo, I never owned a three piece rod until I entered the slippery slope of fiberglass with a Winston Retro. As a result of that and other purchases 3 piece rods are my favorites followed by two when I can transport them.

I don't own any 4 piece glass rods and probably wouldn't buy one as I really have no need or desire.

Post 10 Feb 2022, 10:46 • #27 
Guide
My objection to rods with more than two pieces is that I don't like standing in the freezing rain/snow assembling them and then breaking them down (as I've already done a couple of times this month.) For longer rods, they make transporting them easier, but a 7'6" rod? Please let me have a two piece.

Post 10 Feb 2022, 13:28 • #28 
Guide
I understand the marketing/sales piece: discontinue the series so you can offer a "new and improved" version at a higher price. But, it's too bad here because the new 4 piece rods could compliment and need not replace the 3 piece models that are so popular.

Post 10 Feb 2022, 17:07 • #29 
Sport
In a perfect world they would offer them in 2, 3 and 4-piece configuration. I'm just hoping that they really are going to release a new lineup, in any configuration.

More choices is a good thing, and I think it would be great for people to be able to walk into an Orvis shop and have a glass rod option.

Then again, that might turn more people on to glass and raise prices on the vintage stuff I'm trying to buy ;)

Post 11 Feb 2022, 14:00 • #30 
I remember back in 2014 when Orvis launched the Superfine Glass and CFO...it was exciting to see the company bring out a glass rod again. As soon as they hit the fly shop rod rack, I bought the 7' 3wt Superfine Glass and made in America CFO reel. Still have them and enjoy fishing them...great rod/reel combo on my mountain creeks. Must say, one of the features I liked with the rod was that it was a three piece rod. The rod works so well on my trout streams that I have no reason to replace or upgrade to a new model.

Post 11 Feb 2022, 21:27 • #31 
Sport
I called Orvis today and spoke with Sean, one of their outfitters who definitely wasn't a kid and clearly knew a lot about fly rods. I asked if he thought my backorder would actually get filled or not. He said it was a bit of a surprise that the system took the order. What he said was more interesting was that it showed a backorder estimate of May because that's around when the redesigned fiberglass rods are supposed to be announced and put on the website. He pointed out that it was the current SKU, rather than the new SKU which he read off as he was comparing them, so I believe a new glass rod has to be in the works as posted by others. He said they are supposed to be announced in Spring and start shipping in the Fall.

As far as backorders go, he said that there might be a short run of the current model to fill any remaining back orders, or they might offer to upgrade me to the new version when they can place pre-orders...or something along those lines. I guess time will tell!

Post 13 Feb 2022, 07:55 • #32 
Master Guide
And don’t forget the Fenglass 766-4, a fine rod in its own right that checks all the boxes for a superb dry fly trout rod and is hens teeth as many of the esteemed plank holders on this board would say. Superb travel rod.

Post 13 Feb 2022, 10:36 • #33 
Sport
Looks like Cam has the new rods, according to his instagram. I'm sure he'll fill us in.

Post 13 Feb 2022, 12:05 • #34 
Master Guide
Interested in the build quality of these. I might be in the minority, but I felt like the quality of the current (previous?) series was decidedly “meh”. If these come in at a higher price and they still have that low-end look, it just it that much easier to step up to a higher-cost rod built by a smaller outfit…

Post 18 Feb 2022, 19:10 • #35 
Sport
on the latest orvis podcast tom said the new rods are all 4 piece and there's been some cosmetic upgrades. basically confirming what we already knew.

Post 18 Feb 2022, 19:34 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
To add a little more info - what happened, according to Tom R., is that they had to reduce the number of people in the rod shop due to social distancing during the pandemic. So they dropped glass rod manufacturing during this time and kept only graphite production. They took advantage of this down time to revamp the glass rods as 4-piece designs.

Last edited by gaddis on 18 Feb 2022, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Feb 2022, 21:59 • #37 
Guide
I am curious to see the cosmetic upgrades..... like maybe a change on the blank color? or possible a wood insert instead of cork? I guess we shall see in July

Post 19 Feb 2022, 07:47 • #38 
Master Guide
Im actually fond of the look of the originals but to each their own. I noticed some of the rods are marked back in stock on the orvis website.

Post 19 Feb 2022, 12:49 • #39 
My local Orvis store confirmed 4pc is the announced change. Nothing more has been confirmed.

Post 19 Feb 2022, 12:51 • #40 
Guide
Same here. If ever there was a rod that from my POV didn't need "improving", the SFG was it.

Post 20 Feb 2022, 01:42 • #41 
Sport
The only one I can see is the 8' 6" 6wt...shows two in stock, but they are on a hidden page. I ordered my 763 from a hidden page when it said there was only one in stock, and it showed up, so it might be accurate. All the other sizes show a backorder date in May.

Post 20 Feb 2022, 03:42 • #42 
Administrator
G-ManBart wrote:
I ordered my 763 from a hidden page when it said there was only one in stock, and it showed up...

Does this mean you received your rod? If so, that's a unique way to place an order. Nicely done!

Tom

Post 20 Feb 2022, 06:16 • #43 
Guide
Hidden page - https://www.orvis.com/superfine-glass-f ... H5153.html

Post 20 Feb 2022, 12:38 • #44 
Sport
jgestar wrote:
G-ManBart wrote:
I ordered my 763 from a hidden page when it said there was only one in stock, and it showed up...

Does this mean you received your rod? If so, that's a unique way to place an order. Nicely done!

Tom

I did receive the 763. When I saw the thread that they weren't on the website I did a couple of web searches and one of them was a "shopping" link that I normally would ignore, but tried anyway. Sure enough, it went to the hidden page, and when I clicked on the 763 it showed "1 available" so I ordered it. It shipped the next day and got here a couple of days later. Shockingly, the box was torn open on the end and the rod tube could have fallen right out, but didn't!

I was also able to select the 764 and place a back order with a May shipping date. The page shows two of the 8.5' 6wt rods available. You can also select and place a backorder for the 8'5wt rod, but no other versions.

I have a theory, and only time will tell if it's correct. I was considering ordering one of these for the last month or two, so I was watching the page. Before they hid the page they were taking back orders on several models that weren't in stock. The shipping date was the same May date I saw when I placed the order for the 764. Over time the ability to place back orders has disappeared on different models at different times. The only thing that makes sense to me is that they have a planned run of rods to fill the backorders and they stop allowing them to be placed when the quota is met. That would let them make one run, cover all the backorders, and move on.

I called Orvis to ask if they thought my backorder would be filled and they were pretty surprised it was even possible...that was almost two weeks ago so they've had time to shut things down if they didn't want backorders.

If I'm wrong I would think they would know about all the backorders and send out notice that they can't be filled and maybe offer to be put first in line for the updated models, or something like that.

Time will tell!

Post 20 Feb 2022, 19:15 • #45 
Administrator
I'm glad the rod was delivered. Your post about the phone call to Orvis wasn't reassuring. A rod in hand fishes far better than a rod on back order!

Perhaps the 'hidden' list allows their dealer network to order items as they are unearthed from the dark corners of warehouses and stockrooms. Just a guess. Orvis didn't hide the web page from the Google spiders, so you were able to find it. Orvis doesn't need to know that we know...

Orvis likely has unbuilt glass blanks for repairs and replacements, at least until the new models come out. That 'short run' Sean mentioned might build out those blanks to clear space. It will be worth watching the hidden list for additional rods, and maybe even blanks, once the new rod models are imminent. There is always room in the storage room for a couple more rod blanks.

Tom

Post 20 Feb 2022, 19:28 • #46 
Guide
If anyone wants a 3 weight better move fast shows one left.

Post 20 Feb 2022, 22:24 • #47 
Sport
jgestar wrote:
I'm glad the rod was delivered. Your post about the phone call to Orvis wasn't reassuring. A rod in hand fishes far better than a rod on back order!

Perhaps the 'hidden' list allows their dealer network to order items as they are unearthed from the dark corners of warehouses and stockrooms. Just a guess. Orvis didn't hide the web page from the Google spiders, so you were able to find it. Orvis doesn't need to know that we know...

Orvis likely has unbuilt glass blanks for repairs and replacements, at least until the new models come out. That 'short run' Sean mentioned might build out those blanks to clear space. It will be worth watching the hidden list for additional rods, and maybe even blanks, once the new rod models are imminent. There is always room in the storage room for a couple more rod blanks.

Tom

The call with Orvis was actually more encouraging than it sounds because I left out some details. The sales rep was definitely not a kid, and we had a good chat about rods in general...he knew what he was talking about. He looked up my order and said it was definitely the "current SKU" and that he could see the new rod SKU in the computer. I thought it was encouraging that they already have a SKU in the computer.

I suspect you're right that it could be unbuilt blanks for the short run, or something along those lines. Either way, I'll keep my fingers crossed I get a notice about the 764. If not, hopefully I'll be one of the first with the new 764-4 (or whatever they call it)!

I'm just happy they're going to keep fiberglass in the lineup. The more options the better!

Post 06 Mar 2022, 14:27 • #48 
Guide
I was able to pick one up right before they took them off the site. I grabbed a 763, and it has a 1/22 factory date.

From some teasers I have seen online (@Cameron ;) ) it appears Orvis is following their recent blank ID theme. Not as prominent as a white band on the H3, but almost a light green to compliment a darker olive blank.

Post 13 Mar 2022, 16:31 • #49 
Guide
There are pictures of the new rod? I would like to see some teasers :eek

Post 01 Apr 2022, 11:59 • #50 
Sport
So, browsing the Orvis page today, they have updated the glass link and have a couple pictures, details and prices for the new rod.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply