It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:51

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Superfine Glass
Post 01 Apr 2022, 12:09 • #51 
Guide
Wow, very modern looking glass. Quite a departure from the prior iteration. I think the new Orvis CFO III, being a darker shade of grey, will match these rods nicely. I'm looking forward to someone posting a pic of that combination.

Post 01 Apr 2022, 13:12 • #52 
Sport
I was worried that they were going to put a large label on it similar to the Helios line...luckily they did it in a subdued color.

FYI, people have posted pictures of the new CFO III and it's a true flat black, not a dark grey as some thought might be the case.

[Link added. This Orvis Superfine Glass Fly Rod webpage has images of the new rods. There is one photo for the 8 weight and a second photo for all the others. Time will tell if these photos match the final product. Tom]

Last edited by jgestar on 03 Apr 2022, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Added link in lieu of Orvis' photo

Post 01 Apr 2022, 13:30 • #53 
Master Guide
G-man - I just got my first look at the new sfg on the Orvis page. I agree, they could certainly be worse with a big ugly helios style label. I dont know that I like it as much as the classic look of the originals, but its not terrible. if they really come through with a bunch of 4 piece rods Ill be pretty excited.

Post 01 Apr 2022, 14:05 • #54 
Guide
https://www.orvis.com/superfine-glass-f ... amily.html

Post 01 Apr 2022, 15:17 • #55 
Guide
Based on looks alone, I actually find the 8wt the most compelling. The whole concept kind of comes together for me with the 8wt. 4 piece, modern look and modern components with a classic material. I have a Superfine Glass 764-3, which is great, including the classic look. I had, but sold, the 866-3. Found it too heavy in swing weight for my taste. The new 8 weight in black looks like it has a lot of poise in the photos. Hope to cast it some time to see if it will be as light as it looks.

Post 01 Apr 2022, 16:31 • #56 
Guide
BrookieBoy wrote:
G-man - I just got my first look at the new sfg on the Orvis page. I agree, they could certainly be worse with a big ugly helios style label. I dont know that I like it as much as the classic look of the originals, but its not terrible. if they really come through with a bunch of 4 piece rods Ill be pretty excited.

They look ok. From the pictures, it looks like there's no guide on the butt section. I hope there are alignment guides. I don't have a good feeling about "lighter, crisper" feel.

They've raised the price, and aren't shipping before May 3.

I may still end up getting the 8 footer, but I'll wait for some reviews first.

Post 01 Apr 2022, 19:17 • #57 
Master Guide
Choptanked wrote:
Based on looks alone, I actually find the 8wt the most compelling. The whole concept kind of comes together for me with the 8wt. 4 piece, modern look and modern components with a classic material. I have a Superfine Glass 764-3, which is great, including the classic look. I had, but sold, the 866-3. Found it too heavy in swing weight for my taste. The new 8 weight in black looks like it has a lot of poise in the photos. Hope to cast it some time to see if it will be as light as it looks.

I agree - the 8wt is most interesting to me in the new lineup. I briefly owned the last SFG 8wt, and my only complaint was it felt a bit heavier in hand than I expected. I believe the new SFG 8wt could be a great rod if it’s lighter and crisper than the old version.

I’m glad to see Orvis moved away from cork reel seats, but I like the old green blanks better based on the two photos I saw on the Orvis site.

Post 01 Apr 2022, 20:30 • #58 
Guide
Pretty poor job with the pictures. Recoil stripper guide(s) would have been nice for the cost.

Post 02 Apr 2022, 19:47 • #59 
Guide
I like the darker blank but would’ve preferred if they kept it the same color through the butt section “label”, maybe with white script. I like the cork reel seat of the first gen, and I’m with Redietz on the “lighter, crisper”…

Kind of a miss for me just based on aesthetics and description. I wish them luck with getting ‘em out the door, hope they’re as successful as the first.

Post 03 Apr 2022, 12:03 • #60 
Master Guide
I have both the previous versions of 7’6”4 and 8’ 5 , and esthetics while not near the twice more costly custom McFarland , Kenney’s , etc. The Orvis rods are amazing casting and fishing glass rods. Both are on strong, quick side and honestly among many of my much better fishing buddies felt The Best commercial glass rods available. If the new version are in same path with improvements : nice option!

Post 04 Apr 2022, 04:53 • #61 
Glass Fanatic
For $500 I think it's about the best rod one can buy.
If the action is anything like the old series, it's a pleasant medium-fast action that will suit most newcomers to the fiberglass scene. The new look? Hmm... could have been worse but not the most classic looking rod.

Anyone looking for a more refined action (soft to medium) and looks, the step to the higher end custom builders is getting a bit steep these days with prices in the $800+. Heck even the new Sage rod is now $1000+!

Post 04 Apr 2022, 14:47 • #62 
Guide
I agree, they’re sweet rods. I won’t be letting go of my 763-3 anytime soon.

Post 08 Apr 2022, 19:05 • #63 
Glad I saw this. I called Bear’s Den to confirm they had the 763 in. Order a couple days ago and it showed up today. Looking forward to using my 406 DT 3 line on it

Post 11 Apr 2022, 08:23 • #64 
Guide
$500 and shipping in June.

Has a H3F look to it. I’ll need to see in person.

Post 11 Apr 2022, 12:07 • #65 
Glass Fanatic
Best thing they did was change the reel seats on the 6 & 8wts. It looks to be the same ones as they use on the H3, which are phenomenal. I liked all in the previous series except the 6wt, it just felt too clunky. Color-wise, I don't really like it, but that's never a deciding factor when I buy a rod. It's all about the performance...often, if it's a color I may not totally be into, it'll grow on me.

Considering the epic price increases on the Epics, $500 for these is pretty damn reasonable....very nearly a bargain.

Post 12 Apr 2022, 13:03 • #66 
Guide
I like the darker hardware, and I'm glad the label is more subdued. I bet the matte olive color will look sharp. There's a few pictures on Cameron's site. The 4wt is on order.

Post 12 Apr 2022, 15:27 • #67 
Master Guide
Video on Trident fly fishing.
https://youtu.be/8AT5D7UulFg

Post 12 Apr 2022, 18:27 • #68 
Glass Fanatic
That aesthetics look a lot better in the video and not the website. Still not sure if it's my thing, but I could certainly live with the look if the rod were worth it.

I just wish they would stop calling these things "reviews" when it's just basic advertising. But that's a different issue . . . For now, I'm more interested than I was yesterday.

Post 14 Apr 2022, 08:53 • #69 
Sport
For the record, in caps for emphasis...I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER FLY ROD.

Now with that confession out of the way lets do what we do best and enable each other. I have the 7'6" 3#, and 4# SFG's and like them both, with the 3# being the more used of both due to the small creeks I like to fish.

I impulse purchased a scewback CFO II last year, not realizing how small it was. It seems like it might work well on the SFG 2#. The "Outfit" purchase on Orvis.com has a Battenkill I listed which is the same size as the CFO II at 2 3/4 inches. Does anyone feel that this may be too small?

Post 14 Apr 2022, 09:57 • #70 
Guide
The 1 would probably be fine with the 2wt. I had the previous version of the 2wt and had a battenkill 2 on it; with 3 wt line. It was a good match. All the smaller batts and CFO's are about the same weight. Just comes down to how much backing you want. Personally, I don't care about backing on little 2 and 3 wt outfits; if a fish gets more than 40 feet away on a 2 wt, more than likely it's getting tangled on something and coming off.
It was a neat little rod; probably should have held onto that one.

Post 20 Apr 2022, 21:16 • #71 
Sport
I'm looking at the new 4wt. Wasn't a fan of the last 4wt iteration and sold it despite it being probably the most popular rod in the line up. I have both the 7' and 7'6" 3wts and like them, but I feel all the SFG's need a heavier line for my casting style. I'm hoping the new one's perform well true to weight.

FYI, I also bought one of the new Orvis CFO III's. They are black...not necessarily matte, but not glossy either. Nice little reel. The reel foot is thicker than a Hardy made CFO so I won't be using it with a sliding band reel seat, but it seems every bit as nice as the Hardy made one I have. On the other hand, I have a mint Abel made CFO 1 that I think to be a much nicer reel with regard to fit and finish. It really is a little jewel.

Post 10 May 2022, 08:12 • #72 
Guide
Apparently, all orders for the new Superfine glass rods are pushed back to July. I contacted Orvis yesterday and they confirmed this. Never know, maybe it will show up sooner.

Post 10 May 2022, 13:22 • #73 
Guide
Lone Wolf wrote:
Apparently, all orders for the new Superfine glass rods are pushed back to July. I contacted Orvis yesterday and they confirmed this. Never know, maybe it will show up sooner.
I had an Orvis dealer tell me August.

Post 10 May 2022, 16:54 • #74 
Glass Fanatic
I just got back from fishing a week in the Driftless and although I took a half dozen glass and bamboo rods, the rod that stood out for me was my 7'6" Orvis SFG that I built from a blank. I was mostly fishing a dry/dropper and it was superb - very progressive medium fast and very light in hand with a CFO III and a half-heavy SA WF4 Boost. It was precise and turned over the dry/dropper effortlessly but still flexed deeply with a fish on. IMO, a really outstanding taper. If I sold 90% of my rods, this is one I'll keep.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=62322&p=318089&hilit=orvis#p318089

Post 11 May 2022, 06:20 • #75 
Guide
Nice rig Tiptop! I didn’t realize Orvis was selling blanks of the SFG. I’ve got the 7’ 6” 3wt and have been contemplating swapping out the reel seat for a down-locker, and a wells (not reversed) grip. Otherwise, as you say, it’s a sweet rod.

Oh, and I use an Abel CFO II on the 763 and think it’s a perfect fit, but I like the reel on the lighter side.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply