It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:55

New Topic Add Reply
Fast Glass
Post 30 Sep 2021, 19:09 • #1 
What glass rod manufacturers are making quality, fast glass in the higher saltwater weights? I am familiar with SB and Epic, but was wondering who else is making these types of rods. Thank you.

Re: Fast Glass
Post 30 Sep 2021, 19:18 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
North Fork Composites is actually quite fast for glass. They also have backbone in spades, to a point where my 10wt tamed a number of albacore (the real kind in the Pacific) in less time than my compatriots with their graphite 12wts (often by quite a lot).

Post 01 Oct 2021, 04:04 • #3 
Master Guide
McFarland, CTS.

One reason that certain Glass rods will end a fight sooner is their length. Almost all heavy weight Graphite rods are 9’. Glass rods are usually shorter, you have the leverage over a fish when using a shorter rod.

Ever notice the size of those rods they use on Wicked Tuna or other fishing shows where they are lifting a Halibut from the depths? Very short and made from Fiberglass. Fiberglass for the Durability and short for Leverage. Most are E Glass also.

Last edited by wjude on 02 Oct 2021, 01:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Oct 2021, 12:18 • #4 
Guide
Good point about the shorter rods better for fighting fish. Fishing side-by-side with a friend on a local lake a few years back, we had a memorable day for largemouth bass....my buddy fished my stout 9' 8wt graphite rod and I had a custom 8' 6/7 wt glass another friend built from an eponite blank and we landed fish in pretty much the same times all afternoon.

I am constantly impressed how well those old builders turned out good rods while limited to the materials of the day. Maybe they had to know even more about tapers and creating strong butts without the benefit of modern materials.

Post 01 Oct 2021, 18:35 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Good point about shorter....My Seele 12wt is 8'2" and man, it almost didn't feel fair to those albacore

Post 02 Oct 2021, 09:05 • #6 
Thats good to know. I have some of their trout weight rods and enjoy them much.Its good to see Gary Loomis back at it.

Post 02 Oct 2021, 13:53 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Oh, I think Blue Halo is now putting out some higher weight glass. I haven't tossed any of their latest stuff, but if I recall, the 7wt I had (2nd gen) was somewhat fast for glass.

Echo BAG are also relatively fast for glass. my 7wt is kinda my do it all rod from trout to steelhead streamers (with smallies thrown in for good measure).

Post 05 Oct 2021, 21:28 • #8 
Thanks again for the reply. May keep my eyes out for a BAG. My 3 and 5wt halos are a tad noodly, but admittedly I haven't cast the 7 or 8wt offerings.

Post 12 Oct 2021, 12:40 • #9 
Sport
I have a good friend in SC that has mentioned BAG rods on more than one occasion as a fun redfish option.

Post 14 Feb 2023, 16:47 • #10 
wjude wrote:
One reason that certain Glass rods will end a fight sooner is their length. Almost all heavy weight Graphite rods are 9’. Glass rods are usually shorter, you have the leverage over a fish when using a shorter rod.

Ever notice the size of those rods they use on Wicked Tuna or other fishing shows where they are lifting a Halibut from the depths? Very short and made from Fiberglass. Fiberglass for the Durability and short for Leverage. Most are E Glass also.

Shorter rods definitely fight fish better and they also making handling and landing fish solo from a boat much easier. For those two reasons I was a big fan of the Loomis ShortStix 7'6" fly rods for saltwater boat fishing when they came out in 2014 (I think). It's also the reason I have been experimenting with both graphite and glass 7' to 8' conventional blanks built as fly rods. I can tell you there are Rod Geeks S glass blanks and North Fork All Purpose Fast Glass blanks that are rated for 1/2 to 3/4 oz lures that make very nice, short 10, 11 or 12 wt fly rods.

Post 14 Jun 2023, 21:06 • #11 
Sport
I'm going "vintage" now, but maybe some of you remember that the Fisher rod company was heavily into saltwater rods. And if I remember, the higher line weights of the System rods were shorter than conventional. The 6 wt was 8'1"; I think the 7 wt was 8'3" and the 8 wt was 8'9". Was the 9 wt 8'11"? I don't know if I'm right about the precise lengths, but my point is the System rods increased in length very little in the higher line weights, and considerably less than line weights from other rod companies.

Fish on!
Peter

Post 26 Jun 2023, 09:37 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
That's so good thinking from the early designers at Fisher!
With heavier material like fiberglass back then, having the length shorter makes casting so much more comfortable.
These days only Scott understands this

Post 04 Jul 2023, 18:35 • #13 
Sport
Quote:
ibookje wrote:
That's so good thinking from the early designers at Fisher!
With heavier material like fiberglass back then, having the length shorter makes casting so much more comfortable.
These days only Scott understands this

So true, I love their shorter rods in the Sector line

Post 09 Jul 2023, 20:08 • #14 
Sport
Living a ton rods are on the faster side (frankly, too fast for me) but also, generally on the longer side. I swapped out my 789 western glass for a Steffen 8’ 3” 6/7. The Steffen is perfect.

New Topic Add Reply