It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:05

New Topic Add Reply
Long 2wt
Post 23 Sep 2021, 14:37 • #1 
What length 2wt is the max you would go with fiberglass?

Re: Long 2wt
Post 23 Sep 2021, 14:42 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I have an 8' 2wt glass rod. Its a Graywolf signature series from several years ago. I'd say about 8' is the longest I'd want. Whether or not you can go longer I don't know. But based on my limited experience I think anything longer would likely be unpleasant to cast. Though I wouldn't be surprised is one of the resident glass wizards has come up with a taper that would allow for slightly longer lengths.

Post 23 Sep 2021, 17:39 • #3 
Master Guide
I'd also say around 8ft also. But my memory seems to remember some James Green blanks in 2wt's that might have been a few inches longer. You might try and reach out to James Green, he is in CA, also Marty Romano at Deep Bend Rod Works did a gang of builds on J Green Blanks, I think it was his builds where I saw a longer than 8ft 2wt.

Post 24 Sep 2021, 06:07 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The Length/Line wt ratio is somewhat linear in my book with regards to fiberglass feeling too heavy as line weight goes up. Real life max length rods acceptable to me at their line wts are a 7’10” 10 wt, 8’0” 8wt, 8’3” 7wt, 8’6” 6wt, and 8’8”4wt. Plot those on a graph, and you would think that a master craftsman of fiberglass like McFarland could come up with something between 8’9” to 9’3” in a 2 or 3 wt in fiberglass. Having said that, an 8’8” 2wt is the longest I have ever owned in graphite and a 8’1” 3wt is the longest I currently have in my fiberglass stable.

Post 26 Sep 2021, 10:05 • #5 
Guide
Crusty, 406 Fly lines will soon be releasing our new "406 spring Creek Rod" which will be an 8'9" 3wt. S-glass rod with a progressive taper. The rod weight is 2.9 oz. It was designed by Dusty from ********* Rod Co. and myself over the last year. I wanted a glass rod with a bit more power in the butt section and after playing with the prototype I think we succeeded nicely. The rod itself is built by Dusty and I expect to have them available in a few weeks. This is just an informal heads up and I'll make a formal announcement as soon as we have them in stock and ready to go.

Tom

Post 26 Sep 2021, 12:55 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Well there ya go, thanks for that info, Tom. Salutations and congratulations! By the way, who makes the blank for that rod and what color is the blank going to be?

Post 26 Sep 2021, 15:07 • #7 
Guide
Hey Crusty, Dusty makes his own blanks in the shop in Bozeman. Color is white with light green wraps - pretty nice if I do say so. The blank is unsanded.

Tom

Post 27 Sep 2021, 02:55 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
That sounds like a brilliant rod. I made myself an 8'6" 3/4 weight from a custom CTS blank with strong butt and soft tip with a very short cap and ring reel seat so the effective length is more like an 8'8" rod with an uplocking seat, and it's just great with a team of spiders, or with small nymphs or dries.

I have learnt to love the style of fishing this kind of rod imposes, smooth, slow, patient, waiting for subtle takes. It makes an interesting contrast/complement to the short, fast, dry fly action rod for quick, accurate shots, short drifts and explosive takes. Don't ask me to choose between them but I certainly like having both.

Thanks for bringing such great concepts to market - it's obviously a labor of love.

Post 27 Sep 2021, 10:09 • #9 
Guide
giogio wrote:
That sounds like a brilliant rod. I made myself an 8'6" 3/4 weight from a custom CTS blank with strong butt and soft tip with a very short cap and ring reel seat so the effective length is more like an 8'8" rod with an uplocking seat, and it's just great with a team of spiders, or with small nymphs or dries.

Thanks for bringing such great concepts to market - it's obviously a labor of love.

It is a labor of love. Dusty and I have talked about and gamed this out for over a year now. When I finally got a prototype in my hands I knew we had a winner. This rod also has cap and ring reel seat with a maple wood insert.

Tom

Post 27 Sep 2021, 14:04 • #10 
Master Guide
Great news, Tom! Sounds like a well thought out collaboration effort and an interesting taper. I bet I can guess which fly line you and Dusty recommend for the rod :)

New Topic Add Reply