It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:00

New Topic Add Reply
Epic Reference Series
Post 21 Sep 2021, 11:20 • #1 
Master Guide
Epic recently released a new reference series which is significantly more affordable than their studio built rods. From what I gather, the reference series is probably built in Korea, rather than shipping the Korean blank to New Zealand to be built in Epic’s shop in Wanaka.

Epic says the reference series uses the same blanks as the studio built rods, which is appealing at the new price. I’m interested to hear if anyone has any more information or has actually bought and received one of the new reference series rods.

Post 22 Sep 2021, 14:02 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You're right. That new price is definitely appealing. I'm trying to maintain a cool demeanor as I push my wallet away from me. I may need to have my wife hide my credit cards.

Larry

Post 24 Oct 2021, 17:30 • #3 
Guide
I did not buy one of the "reference" series rods but last month from their website bought a closeout Epic 476-4 "standard" for $351US including shipping. The rod was only offered in green, no frills, but built on the same blank as the studio and reference rods. I am assuming the reference series replaced the standard series, I wasn't really looking for a rod but having three other Epics that I really like, I could not pass up the rod at that price. I also have a 476-3 built by Fred Paddock. I have fished the "standard" and to me they are the same rod. I think all the "standard" series are gone, there were only five available when I bought mine. The reference rods look like a good deal.

Post 25 Oct 2021, 12:41 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks for the info, Black Hackle. I saw the the green 476 standard on the Epic site, and it was hard not to buy at that price. Good to hear the standard blanks seem to be the same as the blanks sold for custom builds.

Post 25 Oct 2021, 16:52 • #5 
Guide
Larry , send those cards to me I'll make sure YOU dont use them lol

New Topic Add Reply