It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:17

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Sep 2021, 13:44 • #1 
Master Guide

********* Glass 8' 6wt Review

With a couple months past since receipt of this rod, I was anxious to get it on the water. The result?....I was not let down. The water was mid-flow and allowed a perfect chance to test things on longer casts with nymph rigs. The reason I had targeted the rod all along.

When I spoke with Dusty at ********* Rods I was appreciative to speak with a friendly voice willing to talk fly rods. Specifically glass fly rods. We tweaked the standard build 8' 6wt, adding a slim full wells grip to support fishing heavy winter rigs and larger fish. I also stayed with the natural glass blank and chestnut wraps since that was the look I was originally attracted to when deciding on *********. I spooled a Cortland Retro II reel with an SA Frequency Boost WF5F line, thinking the additional 1/2 weight in the taper would suit the 6wt. On the terminal end I went with a furled Furl Girl 5/6wt 5' mono leader with micro swivel, and 48" of 5X FlouroFlex tippet. Fly was a #16 beadhead REC Caddis Emerger with necessary split-shot and cork indicator.

What I found was an enjoyable rod in hand. It shoots line like a cannon, yet loads quickly for short casts. It roll casts a nymph rig with ease, quite possibly being the best roll casting rig I have owned to date. There is barely noticeable tip-weight when held, so common with 6wt and up glass rods, making it feel very balanced in hand. Casting stroke is smooth with no bounce whatsoever, and unexpected power.I was able to bring a few fish to hand prior to a humidity storm that pushed me off the water. What I found was a rod that played the first 12" rainbow enjoyably, as well as handling a couple 18" browns with ease.

The rod build is impeccable. Dusty does some beautiful work that surpasses many higher-end glass rods available in my opinion. This rod is exactly what I was looking for. A glass rod that will cover heavier trout work without being too big, but would also be a great smallmouth and light warm water rig.

Post 08 Sep 2021, 06:37 • #2 
Guide
Beautiful rod! Dusty does great work. I own that same rod in the black blank and it is a great all around rod. I use it a lot for many of the smaller warm water creeks in my area.

Post 08 Sep 2021, 07:07 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Great review! How does it compare to other 6-weights you’ve fished?

Post 08 Sep 2021, 08:45 • #4 
Master Guide
I am looking forward to doing the same. :)

Post 11 Sep 2021, 12:55 • #5 
Master Guide
I have the ********* Glass 8' 6wt 3pc with the black blank and dark hardware and a downlocking reel set. Fantastic rod! Versatile, but refined and sweet.

Similar flex profile under load, but perhaps smoother feeling than my Steffen 8' 5/6wt 3pc somehow...yet a nice recovery rate.

Anyway, it's one of my favorite glass rods ever...so far.

Post 11 Sep 2021, 19:48 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Great photo........Aurelio

Post 13 Sep 2021, 17:10 • #7 
Master Guide
Beautiful rod and that photo is a classic!

Post 05 Oct 2021, 15:34 • #8 
Guide
Congrats and best of luck with the new rod. I'm from NJ, which stream did you fish?

Post 07 Oct 2021, 04:35 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Cant go wrong with rods made & built by Dusty.
Enjoy the rod!

Post 08 Apr 2022, 06:08 • #10 
Impeccable!!

Post 08 Apr 2022, 14:08 • #11 
Guide
Dusty’s tapers are phenominal , I’ve built out several *********’s (kept 4 for myself… So far) Love em all , and have also found that they “indeed” like the frequency boost line , whether standard rating or down one , experimenting with the Wulff long bellies also , seem to be very user friendly instruments with a wide variety of purpose , for whatever your casting , and whoever ? Great Review , Thank You…

Post 15 Apr 2022, 13:21 • #12 
Guide
Very nice review...thank you.

Does anybody know what's going on with *********? Haven't seen anything in a while.

Post 15 Apr 2022, 20:54 • #13 
Guide
All of Dusty’s tapers are unique and phenominal , However , IMPO , Any of Dusty’s Hybrids are (to put it simply) AMAZING !!!!!!

New Topic Add Reply