It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:35

New Topic Add Reply
Post 03 Jul 2021, 09:39 • #1 
Sport
I live in Europe and I have the opportunity to buy a T&T Heritage 7'6" 4 weight for 530 Euros brand-new from a fly shop or I can get an Orvis Superfine for about the same price but in any length or line weight available. I have to buy them via the internet and will not be able to test them out. I already have an old Pierre Syler 7'6" 6 weight glass rod, but I am looking for a small stream rod. Any suggestions as to which rod is better would be appreciated.

Matt

Post 03 Jul 2021, 13:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
With graphite rods you mostly don't see much difference. They are all stiff & fast in sort sorts.
The T&T is probably quite slow while the Orvis glass rods are on the fast side of medium-fast.

With glass rods there are quite a lot of difference in softer actions. But I tell my friends enjoy the limitations of glass (and bamboo) and you'll have a great time :)

Post 03 Jul 2021, 14:44 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
These Orvis SFG rods are a great value for the money and most who own them like them very much. The 7'6" 4wt is best with a heavy 4wt line or a true 5wt line. I own this rod and it's great on medium sized streams or small rivers. It has good power in the butt and mid but has very nice flex too. If you intend to fish very small streams, the 7'6" 3wt might be better. I haven't cast it but it might also fish well with a 4wt line. Maybe someone who owns one will comment on its line preferences. These rods are s-glass and are light in hand compared to most older fiberglass rods.

Post 04 Jul 2021, 13:38 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Everyone should have a T&T rod at some time. They are so pretty. Originally I thought you meant the Heirloom. Is there a new Fiberglass (or graphite) heritage. Wasn't that a 1990's graphite rod? I would stay away from 7'6" graphite unless you can cast it. Graphite doesn't really shine until 8' and longer.

With that said, I'm not the biggest fan of the Orvis Superfine glass. The longer superfine graphites are nice.

The T&T Heirloom is much nicer that the Superfine Glass rod. It is slower and pretty. If I had to buy via mail anyway, I would check to See what Nico has (Yamame fly rods out of Holland). He has some beautiful rods in that price range that are better in my opinion.

Post 05 Jul 2021, 01:17 • #5 
Sport
Thanks for the help. I did indeed mean the Heirloom. I will check out the guy in Holland. I was hoping for a 3 weight but I can settle for a 4 weight T&T rod.

Post 05 Jul 2021, 10:18 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
A new Heirloom for the same price as an Orvis SFG is indeed a good deal financially. Here in the US the Heirloom was quite a bit more expensive than the SFG. The Heirloom is e-glass and noticeably heavier in hand than the SFG. The quality of the reel seat hardware on the T&T is very high, far surpassing the SFG although the SFG hardware will be very serviceable. Which action you would prefer is unknown - only you can answer that question and even so, not until you've been able to cast both.

Post 05 Jul 2021, 11:32 • #7 
Master Guide
I have not cast the Orvis glass rods, but if you can get the 3wt Heirloom, jump on it! It is the best casting rod in the format of any material that I've ever cast. The 7'6" 4wt Heirloom is great also, but there's a lot of beautifully performing bamboo rods in that format.

--Rich

Post 06 Jul 2021, 22:53 • #8 
Master Guide
If you can score a TnT heirloom for the same $ cost as the superfine glass.
Get the rod you’ll eventually own
[Photo removed. Please do not post photos unless you hold the copyright. Tom]
Sorry it keeps loading sideways for some reason.
An heirloom is a sweet stick. The SFG is nice too. Honestly, You won’t be sorry with either rod.

But I’d recommend the TnT in that size it’s a better taper with a softer more glass like feel (Which I like) than the Orvis ,
Which is faster actioned. If you like that sort of action.
The cork from Thomas and Thomas blows away what Orvis has been passing off The last few years as premium cork...
it’s not even close.
Wraps, finish and hardware are better on the heirloom to boot.
I do like the fact that Orvis uses that green reminiscent of the the old school (Phillipson made epoxite blanks) Orvis golden eagle rods.
The Orvis SFG 8fter in 5 wt has awesome glass action...
Looking forward to see what you pick up.

Post 07 Jul 2021, 13:21 • #9 
Sport
Thanks for the info. I bought the rod yesterday and the fly shop in Belgium came to tell me the they made a mistake on the website and that the rod on clearance was the 3 weight not the 4 weight. So it looks like I got a brand new 7'6" 3 weight Heirloom for 530 bucks, which is a pretty goof price for overseas. Now I just need a good reel and a fly line.

Post 07 Jul 2021, 18:47 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Congratulations.

You have a great rod on the way.

Post 09 Jul 2021, 12:38 • #11 
Master Guide
Score!!! Great find. Enjoy!

New Topic Add Reply