It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:02

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 May 2021, 16:33 • #1 
Sport
Hi all, been reading this forum for years, but first post.
Anyway, I’ve had the above rod for probably 10 years and just never fish with it largely due to not feeling like it loads well with the few lines I’ve tried. My favorite rod (TL Johnson 7’ 4 wt) works great for me with the Hook and Hackle DT line (by the way, are these lines available again?), but that line seems to really overload the MacFarland. I have tried a Rio wf4 but same thing, but that may have been a heavier 4.
I’m not sure what series this rod is, but the blank is kind of a brown/dark honey. It started as a 1 piece blank someone assembled and I eventually sent it back to MacFarland to get turned into a 3 piece (and get the nifty case) if that makes any difference.
Again, any line suggestions are most welcome or I guess, maybe the rod just doesn’t work for me.
Thanks,
Paul

Post 18 May 2021, 17:44 • #2 
Guide
Maybe a Wulff tri-taper in a DT3 , or the Wulff long belly in a WF3 ??? Those lines have worked well for me in a variety of combinations and weight configurations for a lot of different fiberglass builds on different brand blanks , a lot of folks on the forum here seem to have success with actually underlining , sometimes fiberglass is picky but once you figure out the right balance .... Priceless

Post 18 May 2021, 17:49 • #3 
Administrator
Hi Paul, Welcome to posting on the Forum!

There is no standardized process to determine fly rod line weights. Every rod rating is simply someone's opinion. Your individual casting style makes the biggest difference in which line works best with any given rod. What might be a 5 weight rod to me, could be a comfortable 4 weight to you. You won't lose your fishing license for using something other than the marked line weight.

TL Johnson rods are relatively stiff compared to more full flexing rods, such as a McFarland. Sounds like some experimenting is needed. As a long ago lab supervisor once told me, make big changes, not little ones. If a DT4 line overloads the McFarland, then try 2 and/or 3 weight lines. For the distance you might comfortably cast a 6'3" rod (see this post), there is little difference between a DT4 and WF4 line (especially one of those overfed Rios).

Hook & Hackle is not selling their branded fly lines anymore.

Tom

Post 18 May 2021, 19:02 • #4 
Sport
Thank you for the suggestions and advice. I’ve never used a Wulff line but will check them out. I for some reason thought they were primarily for roll casting but I probably have that wrong.
I originally got the rod thinking that it would break down into ~2’ sections that would strap to my pack and not get in the way when turkey hunting in the spring or deer/grouse hunting in the fall but still let me fish some of the tiny creeks I come across. Still would like that but guessing if it takes a 2 or 3 to feel right to me, probably not a great hopper/dropper rod for me?
Thanks again!
Paul

Post 18 May 2021, 20:57 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
a very nice, light in the weight-range DT line is Cortland Sylk.

Post 20 May 2021, 16:46 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Your TL Johnson rod has a very different taper and is relatively fast, thus I am not surprised that you are experiencing what you describe using the same line on both rods, especially if you are comparing them with the same amount of line out(ie distances reaching for). I'd ask Mike what he thinks what line would best fit that rod. I suspect he tested it after he cut and re-feruled the blank.

Post 21 May 2021, 07:51 • #7 
Master Guide
I believe Mike designs his rods using Wulff Triangle tapers; they cast great but some think they're a bit light. If you think they're a bit light go up a weight, lovely lines, that's why they won Kudos when they came out.

Post 22 May 2021, 15:02 • #8 
Sport
Thanks for all the suggestions! I did get to try a couple different lines but unfortunately no triangle tapers. I decided that after trying a 2 and a 3 that it really is a 4 weight rod but just much slower than I prefer. It’s a lovely rod, but probably not for me. Oh well.
Thanks again,
Paul

Post 26 May 2021, 17:30 • #9 
Guide
There is always a market for McFarland rods. If you don't like it, there are others who would happily give that rod a try.

Post 27 May 2021, 13:43 • #10 
Sport
You’re probably right, May as well let someone else try it and see if I can turn it into something I’d use. Setting value is always difficult though. I guess there’s eBay and let the market determine itself?

Paul

New Topic Add Reply