It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:14

New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 May 2021, 14:58 • #1 
Hello, attached is photos of the rod grip with the rubber O ring , this is an attachment from my previous post.
John aka Rube Wood

Post 06 May 2021, 17:18 • #2 
Sport
Hook keeper?

Post 06 May 2021, 17:34 • #3 
In my post I was told it aided the metal sliding ring , maybe a larger reel was being used . Sweet rod though . Has a tippy action .

Post 06 May 2021, 17:57 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Does it fit snugly over the original ring? Looks maybe big enough to slide over it.

Post 07 May 2021, 07:43 • #5 
Guide
Maybe to seat a spinning reel on it further up on the grip?

I saw that rod, from where you got it from. I was wondering about that too. Is the cork under the ring clean?

Anyhow, nice find. I have the same rod, and really enjoy it with a heavy 4wt line.

Post 07 May 2021, 08:24 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I have read that some people have lost reels because the sliding ring loosened and other people worry about that possibility, one preventive is a to use a rubber O ring against the sliding ring. Some have even mentioned keeping an O ring on the reel seat in case the cap/hood of a down locker comes off while fishing, the O ring will hold the reel in place so one can continue to fish.
It's kinda a belt for the suspenders, or suspenders for the belt, backup addition. A lock nut, so to speak.
Perhaps this is what you have?

Post 07 May 2021, 11:20 • #7 
Hi, yes it fits just over the metal slide ring. Didn't know if it was added or special order . I put a Heddon 300 on it and slide ring seems to work fine. Thank you for your help.

Post 07 May 2021, 16:38 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Well, I would love to be proven wrong with a catalog or advertising blurb of the time, but a special order item for a Panfish Special, very unlikely.
Some practical individual who got tired of the reel loosening put a rubber sleeve on there. It wouldn't be hard to come by one that worked well. Any hardware store of the time would have had plenty to choose from, or the nearest industrial supply, and scavenging a sleeve or fabricating one from part of a rubber bushing or thin rubber hose would be just as likely.

Post 10 May 2021, 02:04 • #9 
Sport
I'm not far off commencing a Steffen 8' 4/5wt build and I'm planning on a simple and light approch using a Lemke LC14 with a wooden spacer, not cork. And yes, on completion I'm planning to visit a local auto shop for a suitable O ring as insurance.

New Topic Add Reply