It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:13

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Mar 2021, 15:33 • #1 
Sport

Just order two of my dream rods yesterday. Shane gray of Graywolf Rods is sending me both a 2 and 4 wt trout smith in e glass along with 406 Dt lines and leaders that are designed for fiberglass. Very excited as these will be my first e glass rods and excited at the new tech that seems to be in the e glass rods. The 2 wt is 7’ 3 piece and weighs only 1.9 oz and the 4 wt is 8’ and weighs only 2 oz. I could not believe how light and long these were compared to what I have seen and he said they are using a new uni directional e glass that allowed them to stretch the length of the blanks out, while making them lighter than their s glass models. Should have them in the next few days. Very excited! Will let you know what I think when they get here.

Here is a screenshot of the webpage. 2 wt will have the top grip and 4 wt the middle grip at only a few bucks more than a superfine this should be awesome. American made and basically a custom rod that he picked all the details for. Will have a trip with them next weekend.

Last edited by Snakeroll on 18 Mar 2021, 22:19, edited 2 times in total.

Post 18 Mar 2021, 20:56 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Glad you got some nice rods. You'll have to post some thoughts on each one after you get them out on the water.

Post 18 Mar 2021, 22:22 • #3 
Sport
Will do. I’ll do a write up on each of the rods, the lines, and the leaders I’m getting. Lines and leaders are from Tom and I’m excited because I almost exclusively fish furled leaders, so we will see how these stack up.

Post 19 Mar 2021, 06:12 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome!

Post 19 Mar 2021, 07:45 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Snake Roll, thanks for the kind words and I look forward to getting the rods in your hands.

** One correction... You are correct the 2wt 7ft model is 1.9oz, but the 7'3" 3wt is 2oz, the 8ft 4wt 4pc is 2.8oz. With the 5wt being right around 3oz with a locking seat made of aluminum brass which is a little heavier than aluminum. More info here - https://www.graywolfrods.com/troutsmithseglass

A couple pics.

Post 19 Mar 2021, 08:02 • #6 
Sport
Gotcha! Thanks Shane.

Post 19 Mar 2021, 15:03 • #7 
Guide
Congrats on the new rods! I thought the red e glass looked really nice too, looking forward to hearing how you like them : )

Post 20 Mar 2021, 04:40 • #8 
Sport
Thanks! Yes the red is simple and good looking.

Post 29 Apr 2022, 22:45 • #9 
Hello.

Did you get a chance to fish these two? I'm very interested what you think about them.

Thanks.

Post 01 May 2022, 08:01 • #10 
Guide
I purchased a 3 wt E-glass trout smith last year and couldn’t be more pleased. Shane’s wraps are really nice; mine has contrasting colors which looks really good with the red blank. I wasn’t sure about the red blank at first, but it looks really nice in person. The rod is definitely a full flex all the way to the handle and will accommodate a variety of lines. My favorite on it is the Rio Creek line, as I mostly fish little streamers. I just fished it yesterday, as the little wiper run is on, and used Rio Gold with a mini sink tip and it handled it just fine. It’s really nice rod, I think you’ll be pleased with the series.

New Topic Add Reply