It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:34

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 Feb 2021, 10:36 • #1 
Master Guide
Just noticed that LL Bean is getting back into fiberglass with 6'8" 3wt, 7'6" 4wt, and 8' 5wt.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/125147? ... low&pos=14

Post 27 Feb 2021, 15:05 • #2 
Sport
Interesting rods, i see they are all Backordered to April 25 2021

Post 27 Feb 2021, 16:32 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
The pictures look nice. Downlocking reel seats and S-glass for $200. I wonder if they are made by the same company in China that made the Echo glass rods before the BAG and River Glass models came out.

Post 27 Feb 2021, 17:41 • #4 
Guide
Thanks for the notice!

Post 28 Feb 2021, 12:42 • #5 
Guide
Ohhh, I'm gonna have to play around with one of those. Kudos to Beans for a providing a glass option.

Post 01 Mar 2021, 19:44 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
thanks - in classic yellow too I see.. very nice.

Post 01 Mar 2021, 22:47 • #7 
Master Guide
I know it's not, but dang that looks a lot like the old Timberland Bean rods made on Lamiglas blanks...

Post 02 Mar 2021, 07:00 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I agree Motosacto, but the catalog says S-glass. The Timberline rods were all E-glass right?

Post 09 Mar 2021, 14:28 • #9 
Guide
I have the 5 weight preordered.

Post 09 Mar 2021, 15:24 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I wrote a product review on the original Pocket Water Bean marketed back in 2012 and gave it a 1 star out of 5. It was simply a poor rod. Little 3wt was incredibly stiff, needing a 5 or 6 wt line to load the rod. Hope for those of you interested in the iteration it is a better product. I still have a few of the Pocket Water reels, they are functional.

Post 09 Mar 2021, 16:16 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Wasn't the Pocket Water of almost 10 years ago a graphite rod? Pretty sure this one is completely different except for the name.

Post 09 Mar 2021, 16:49 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
The original Pocket Water rod was graphite. I have the Pocket Water reel, and I find it to be a pretty solid well made reel.

Larry

Post 09 Mar 2021, 17:02 • #13 
Guide
I have the current Pocket Water reel and love it. Also have three of the current LL graphite rods, love them also. Lots of rod for the $$ especially when purchased on sale. Looking forward to receiving the new glass rod.

Post 09 Mar 2021, 20:36 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
cappy wrote:

We will look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Post 11 Mar 2021, 21:37 • #15 
Master Guide
... and I got my paper catalog in the mail today. A full page touting glass ... not bad!

Post 12 Mar 2021, 04:48 • #16 
Guide
paveglass wrote:
cappy wrote:

We will look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Will do, although the delivery date is now by May 10th. Good news is I received a special sales code and saved an additional 15%. I love LL Bean.

Post 21 Mar 2021, 00:03 • #17 
Sport
I bought the previous Pocket Water rod along with the PW reel in 2019, the 7'6" 4wt. While I'm not a rod snob, I thought it tossed a 444 Peach DT4F just fine. I like the reel. It doesn't give the same vibes as my CFO III, but it works.

Post 26 Apr 2021, 15:56 • #18 
Master Guide
Anyone get their rod yet? I think they're (finally) shipping...

Post 29 Apr 2021, 17:12 • #19 
Guide
My 5-weight came yesterday. First impressions I like it, it has an old school look and feel.

Tube is a cool yellow fiberglass to match the rod, with the metal sections anodized to match the brown wraps.
Sock is a cotton canvas duck that is more than adequate to use on its' own if your gentle in transportation, and want to leave the tube home, which I do often. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality.

Cork is as good or better than I have seen on rods costing hundreds more, down locking hardware is standard for a rod in this price range, and more than adequate. Only issue is the pocket is tight. I tried all my reels and two fit as it should, the others went in barely enough to be usable.
The wraps are nicely done for a rod in this price category, the epoxy applied over the wraps is not overly heavy. Guides are standard snakes, with a chrome stripper and hook keeper, which I appreciate.
The blank itself is what I would classify as traditional glass which flexes down to the grip, should be a fun rod. Price, butt over tip ferrules and four piece makes it a winner for me. Now to get it on a stream.

Post 15 May 2021, 16:44 • #20 
Master Guide
[Begin edit update]

I posted a fishing review of the rod in the "fishing with ..." forum.

Regarding the maker, I saw some pictures of a used Echo River Glass rod for sale, and I think Odonata pretty much nailed it. With the exception of the colors (rod, wrappings, tube, and reel seat anodizing), this whole kit looks pretty much identical to the kit that Echo offers, with a couple of little simplifications to save costs. Given the way that Bean has had companies make rods for them in the past (Timberline, Diamondback, Loomis, etc.) I wonder if Bean didn't contract with Echo for these rods?

[End edit update]

Got my 7’ 6” 4wt yesterday (when I was out fishing). Took it to the park today for a few minutes of lawn casting with a Cortland 444 Peach WF4F line. Impressions - definitely less backbone than my 4wt Scott F. I can motivate casts out to 50’ (40’ is natural and easy). Beyond that is a chore for me (probably says something about my casting). I can roll cast to 30’ or so even on the lawn. All in all, not bad - a good close-in rod - definitely not on the stiff or tippy side. I think it would probably cast a 3wt line just fine, but 5wt line might overpower it at distance.

The rod itself: certainly made to a price point. Quality is fine but not great - as I expected. I’m a little disappointed they didn’t cover the branding and rod info printing with epoxy - I think it’ll chip off with use. Agree with Cappy on the reel seat being tight, but it fits my Hardy and Orvis and LLBean reels, all of which have machined reel feet, fine. Aesthetics are great and look absolutely based on the Timberline pack rods - similar blank color, same wrapping color, downlocking reel seat, etc. If they hadn’t added the unnecessary-to-hide-the-reel-seat-hood flare to the back of the grip, the user interface would be spot on with the old designs. Furnishings are nice. I like the fiberglass tube much better than Cordura-covered PVC. The rod sock is maybe a little too thick and rough, but that’s a pretty minor quibble.

Summary - a cool throwback to old school moderate action glass in looks and feel. Might not be the best rod for windy days or a first intro to the material for a graphite-centric person. I’m looking forward to getting it on the water.

Post 09 Jul 2021, 14:18 • #21 
Sport
I just received a 7'6" 4-wt. LL Bean Pocketwater Glass Combo. It is a windy day here in Oklahoma, but I did take the rod out in my canoe for an hour or two this morning (Jackson Lake near Mounds, OK). Here is a photo of the rod, along the first fish I caught (an 8" redear, which I did measure since it was the first fish with this rod). Caught lots more redear and a few green sunfish before I grew tired of fighting the wind. It's a very nice combo, and the rod really bends when a chunky sunfish dives with the hook.
Best wishes.
Mitch

Post 12 Jul 2021, 12:31 • #22 
Guide
Good luck with the combo. I have the 5 weight rod, also the same reel from a previous purchase. Both are excellent enjoy.

Post 12 Jul 2021, 15:51 • #23 
Sport
Bass and sunfish are a blast to fish! I really enjoy the pocketwater reels. Scooped up a few of them when they were on sale. Might have to grab the rod now to match. Thanks for sharing.

Post 06 Mar 2022, 14:28 • #24 
Guide
motosacto wrote:
[Begin edit update]

I posted a fishing review of the rod in the "fishing with ..." forum.

Regarding the maker, I saw some pictures of a used Echo River Glass rod for sale, and I think Odonata pretty much nailed it. With the exception of the colors (rod, wrappings, tube, and reel seat anodizing), this whole kit looks pretty much identical to the kit that Echo offers, with a couple of little simplifications to save costs. Given the way that Bean has had companies make rods for them in the past (Timberline, Diamondback, Loomis, etc.) I wonder if Bean didn't contract with Echo for these rods?

[End edit update]

Got my 7’ 6” 4wt yesterday (when I was out fishing). Took it to the park today for a few minutes of lawn casting with a Cortland 444 Peach WF4F line. Impressions - definitely less backbone than my 4wt Scott F. I can motivate casts out to 50’ (40’ is natural and easy). Beyond that is a chore for me (probably says something about my casting). I can roll cast to 30’ or so even on the lawn. All in all, not bad - a good close-in rod - definitely not on the stiff or tippy side. I think it would probably cast a 3wt line just fine, but 5wt line might overpower it at distance.

The rod itself: certainly made to a price point. Quality is fine but not great - as I expected. I’m a little disappointed they didn’t cover the branding and rod info printing with epoxy - I think it’ll chip off with use. Agree with Cappy on the reel seat being tight, but it fits my Hardy and Orvis and LLBean reels, all of which have machined reel feet, fine. Aesthetics are great and look absolutely based on the Timberline pack rods - similar blank color, same wrapping color, downlocking reel seat, etc. If they hadn’t added the unnecessary-to-hide-the-reel-seat-hood flare to the back of the grip, the user interface would be spot on with the old designs. Furnishings are nice. I like the fiberglass tube much better than Cordura-covered PVC. The rod sock is maybe a little too thick and rough, but that’s a pretty minor quibble.

Summary - a cool throwback to old school moderate action glass in looks and feel. Might not be the best rod for windy days or a first intro to the material for a graphite-centric person. I’m looking forward to getting it on the water.

This is an awesome review! I have been eyeing the 5wt as a canoe rod.

Post 12 Mar 2022, 10:29 • #25 
Master Guide
Here’s another write up with actual fish pictures too…

https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72077&p=396029&hilit=Bean#p396029

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply