It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:24

New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Nov 2020, 10:36 • #1 
I want to preface this by saying this is my first post here and am COMPLETELY new to western style fly fishing. I have been fishing Tenkara style rods for the past 5 years. Most of my rods are set up for fishing small-med sized trout on small streams to large rivers. I mostly fish dries or a dry/drop rig. I realize the limitations with Tenkara, specifically relating to targeting larger fish species and fishing larger water bodies. I would like to expand my fishing capabilities.

I was recently gifted a barely used Berkley 'Curt Gowdy' Parametric PG-40 7'6". Id love to put it to good use but I know nothing about rigging up a western style rod. I dug around this forum and found its a 7ish weight? What species would you recommend targeting? What type of water would this be good for? Line and fly selection would be helpful as well.

Again, I'm new to the world of western fly rods so I'm not sure if I'm even asking the right questions. Thanks in advance for the help! I'm glad I found this forum.
-jimmy

Post 25 Nov 2020, 11:24 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
great vintage rod. Nice score.

That model might like a DT6 line best, especially for dry fly fishing.
but a WF7 is also a good possibility.
I'd stick to a "classic" line like a Cortland 444 classic or even 333.

Post 25 Nov 2020, 11:39 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome aboard! I like anything from a WF6 to a WF7 on mine. I typically use it with the 6wt for the majority of my trout fishing. You'll have fun with it, it's a sweet rod! I've thrown a 5wt line on it and it worked great too, but it's not my personal preference.

Last edited by clarkman23 on 25 Nov 2020, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

Post 25 Nov 2020, 11:40 • #4 
Guide
Welcome to the forum, I also started with Tenkara and through some twists and turns ended up here. Since I bought my first small stream glass rod I have only used my Tenkara rod once, I just get much more satisfaction with glass rod and click pawl reel - plus you spend a lot more money on neat stuff... :rollin

Ask away, tons of great info here.

Post 25 Nov 2020, 11:47 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, jfgros0! The Gowdy Para/metrics are great rods and I'm sure you'll enjoy fishing that one. I have one of the 6'3" models and it's a favorite, especially for getting into tight spots under overhanging brush. Yours should be even more versatile. The FFR board will undoubtedly be a great source of information for you as you venture further into the fiberglass experience.

Charlie

Post 25 Nov 2020, 21:25 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Jimmy,

Where do you live? That will determine a lot about how to rig and what fish to target. Also, there might be a local club (though they probably aren't meeting right now). The rod will be a good complement to Tenkara. With a 6wt line, it will be good for Trout fishing on water that is a bit bigger than you Tenkara outfit can handle on up to bigger rivers and ponds. Trout, bass, panfish come to mind but that rod will handle larger fish too.

Post 25 Nov 2020, 23:04 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I had one, a very enjoyable 6/7. Good for just about anything, bass, trout, carp etc etc.

I'm fond of overlining my rods a bit, I used it with a 7wt here on the Kootenai, sometimes soft hackles and something big weighted buggers.

Post 27 Nov 2020, 18:17 • #8 
Thank you all for the great advice. I live in upstate New York near the ADK'S. I'm really looking forward to targeting lake trout, larger and maybe some warm water fish in lakes as well.

So it sounds like a 6wt line will work good for trout- how about warm water species? And more on line- would a WF line allow for both dry flies and say streamer fishing? Or do you typically have multiple lines for different types of fishing?

Post 27 Nov 2020, 21:29 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
For warm water, I've used anything up to a 7wt Outbound Short shooting head (it's all of 240ish grains!) And it handled it just fine. It's an incredibly versatile rod.

Post 28 Nov 2020, 07:18 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, jfgros01. I'll second carlz comment about a local fly fishing club. You can glean a lot of useful info here on the forum and by reading books, but personal advice from experienced local fly fishermen is priceless. The learning curve is a bit steep to begin but can be eased tremendously with the knowledge and companionship of others. It's also very helpful to fish alongside others to learn the nuances of reading the water, understanding the behavior of fish, the importance of presentation, stealth, etc.. Good luck!

Post 28 Nov 2020, 11:29 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
So much talk of DT of WF, bottom line, don't sweat it, either on will work fine for what you are doing. A WF line works just fine for dry flies and streamers.

We all love our gear, so I suspect most of us have LOTS more lines than we need. Some types of fishing you may want a different line, but for 95% of what you are doing either a WF or DT 6 or 7 is going work great.

New Topic Add Reply