It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:43

New Topic Add Reply
Hard Para
Post 17 Nov 2020, 21:02 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Maybe I have missed discussions and if so, I apologise. What is meant by the rod action described as the hard para(bolic)?

Re: Hard Para
Post 18 Nov 2020, 00:11 • #2 
Master Guide
That's a great question, jhuskey, and I almost asked the same thing a couple of weeks ago.

I always assumed it referred to a rod that is considered "full on" parabolic as compared to semi-parabolic, like a rod that has a more pronounced initial flex into the butt section before the mid and tip come into play...but I'm really not sure. I also tried doing some searches here a few weeks back, and figured that my choice of search words just didn't hit on the actual "definition".

I'm sure others that have more experience with parabolic tapers will reply, and am looking forward to the discussion. Thanks for bringing it up!

Post 18 Nov 2020, 08:53 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks LeoCreek - did my search yesterday and just about the only references that I could find were about the Injuin hard para.

Post 18 Nov 2020, 23:04 • #4 
Master Guide
i believe it is not the name of an action so much as the name of one of Tomo's line of fly rods. i do believe your both right, they are all full parabolic rods. his ijuin yomogi's are a mixed bag. some full para, some partial and the 7'6" was a progressive taper. i never cast one so can't tell you how they feel.

Post 19 Nov 2020, 09:07 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks xNYkid.

Post 19 Nov 2020, 17:01 • #6 
Guide
LeoCreek wrote:
I always assumed it referred to a rod that is considered "full on" parabolic as compared to semi-parabolic, like a rod that has a more pronounced initial flex into the butt section before the mid and tip come into play...

That's my assumption as well.

Post 19 Nov 2020, 18:14 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I got to cast one of his hard para rods and found it to be pretty stiff and fast feeling.

Post 19 Nov 2020, 21:12 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Great first hand opinion bassackwards, and much appreciated.

Post 19 Nov 2020, 23:32 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Charles Ritz said in his book that parabolic action was just a figure of speech, that the rods he so described had nothing to do a parabola, or something to that effect. It seems many people believe it means a rod that flexes evenly under load with the butt, mid and tip all bending to the same degree. But, I have read several descriptions of parabolic action that don't exactly fit with each other or with the even curve. (I've kinda decided to believe Mr. Ritz, so that my head won't hurt from trying to sense of the other explanations)
This is the first I've heard of "hard parabolic"; but if the bend under load is uniform from end to end and the rod is stiff, that might be a hard parabola?

Post 20 Nov 2020, 13:38 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I think it just means a stiff tip section and some flex in the butt section, while a semi-para adds more flex in the tip. The action can still feel fast if the flex is limited.

Post 20 Nov 2020, 18:26 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Curtis,
I bought this rod from Randy, and it's really nice stick, one which performs well in small water. the parabolic action is well suited for roll casting and dropping a fly in on dime. I'm not sure what hard means, but it feels like some other Payne style parabolic tapers I've handled. Recently while fishing the upper Conejos with my wife I testing it on tight quarters using an a bow and arrow cast. although a 6'6" rod might have worked better this rod felt so natural in its load and flex. The Previous day on the lower Conejos in some trophy water, I tagged up a 16" brown on this rod and had no problem bringing it to hand.

Les

Post 01 Dec 2020, 10:49 • #12 
Sport
If you are talking about the Ijuin Hard Para, I have a couple, and they cast and feel somewhere between a yomogi and a Macfarland of similar length and weight. noticeably faster than the Yomogi , but not really progressive imho.

they will handle big fish.

The black one was built by Matt leiderman, the red by Chris Barclay. I use a 4wt SA All Around taper on both.

New Topic Add Reply