It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:07

New Topic Add Reply
Post 15 Nov 2020, 19:30 • #1 
Guide
Looking for some options here. I have been building rods for quite some time. I have multiple epics, a few steelhead and salmon rods and I even recently built a new Iconglass NFC. Right now, I looking to experiment a bit with the concept of the "ventilated" grip style. For those of you who havent seen these before, basically its a cork grip that has some gaps in between the cork rings. I really like the look of it and want to attempt to build one, however, since this will be my first attempt, Im hoping to build it on a budget blank I just want to see what options are out there, or what "budget" blank you all have built on in the past!

Any info helps!

Post 15 Nov 2020, 19:37 • #2 
Administrator
Tadpole blanks - Batson Forecast SPG720 or SPG780. They are one piece UL spinning rod blanks. At $14-20 each you won't find anything less expensive.

Search for tadpole on the forum for more information. There have been quite a few builds discussed.

Tom

Post 15 Nov 2020, 19:49 • #3 
Guide
Interesting... I’ll look them up!!!
I saw some glass blanks that $32-$40 from “get bent fly shop” and Custom Fly rod crafters. I figured these would be another option worth looking into

Post 15 Nov 2020, 21:20 • #4 
Master Guide
ye old english fly rods. don't build the 3 or 2 wt's they are too soft. the 4 is ok and the 5wt is too

https://store5327129.ecwid.com/#!/OLDE- ... y=10453113

Post 16 Nov 2020, 09:44 • #5 
Master Guide
Diamondback Meeker fly rod blanks are on sale for $44.39 with free shipping. https://rodbuilderswarehouse.com/collections/blanks
I've built one that I gave as a gift. I did a bit of fishing with it before I sent it off and it was a nice rod. I don't think you'd be disappointed. They also have three weights.

Post 16 Nov 2020, 15:14 • #6 
Guide
All good options. I’m going to have to look into those tadpole blanks a bit more. That sounds like a fun build.

So I ended up pulling the trigger on a honey 7ft 3pc. 3wt from Get Bent Fly shop. The blank ended up being just shy of $45 shipped. I figured the honey color would provide a good chance to practice the color scheme I will be looking for in the future. I had the extra guide and I got thread, cork rings and reel seat for ~$50ish. I figured this would be a fun project that wouldn’t end up breaking the bank

New Topic Add Reply