It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:22

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: Affordable fly lines
Post 27 Jan 2021, 18:25 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
AirCel was phased out by the time started fishing in the '70s, I think, I know that AirCel Supreme was considered tops by my acquaintances, then there was AirCel Supreme II (which as far as I know was just a box/label change- I could not tell any difference in them) and then they changed the name again, can't recall what, but when I found out I couldn't buy the same line again from SA, I switched to Cortland and have mostly used 444 since then. I felt like SA floated better but Cortland cast better.
So, is the current AirCel the original stuff from the 1960s or the Supreme versions or a brand new/different line using the heritage name?

Post 28 Jan 2021, 19:32 • #27 
Master Guide
Trev, I could be wrong (I often am), but my understanding is the Aircel line is pretty much the same. Like the the Cortland 333, the taper hasn’t changed much over the years.

Post 31 Jan 2021, 22:00 • #28 
Sport
I got my first 406 line in the mail this week. Shipped quickly and looks as good as any other line. Being winter, the line will not be used until spring. Based on what I see, I will be ordering more in the future.

Post 01 Feb 2021, 18:10 • #29 
Guide
All of my floating lines, except for a couple Cortland DTS III lines, have been by Scientific Anglers. For years, I went through various upgraded versions of the S.A. Ultra series:
the Ult.2, Ult.3, Ult.4, then onto the Supras. Most of these lines here North of the Border, would fetch for 65.00 to 80.00 CAD (depending on the exchange rate, that's around 50.00 USD). The later versions of the Ultra also added the S.A.'s AST treatment, the last version even got a welded front loop.
If I want to cast a line which is more or less a "true" line weight (say for a 5wt, 140 gr.), then the Ultra/Supra lines are great on my graphites & even better on glass.

These lines eventually seemed to morph into Scientific Angler's economy lines: the Frequencies (around 50 bucks in the States & between 70.00 to 80.00.CAD). Instead of being the standard 27m lines. these are only 25m. Not a problem, as I often shorten the running lines anyway.
Since my lines seem to last & last, (no drying out, no cracking ,few dings), I don't often have to buy a new fly line. The Ultra/Supra lines behave surprisingly well in our Spring & or Fall temperatures. With a good stretch before casting, these lines have little to no memory. They seem to be thinner (per line weight) than some of the other brands that I have tried The double taper version of the Ultra/Supra lines is real sweet casting on glass.

Post 07 Feb 2021, 11:44 • #30 
Master Guide
if i am playing golf against Tiger Woods and he only has a 7 iron to use im still going to loose. that being said, i will get a 406 DT this year. i have been meaning to for a while now and i do like what tom says about his tapers.

Post 13 Feb 2021, 12:18 • #31 
Glass Fanatic
The 406DTs are excellent; you won't be disappointed. While you're at it, try a couple of his Harvey-style leaders. They handle very well.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply